Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i, 1994 740i
Question Various Wheel Questions/ Jack Stands

So I was going to jack up my 325i, and was wondering a couple things: how can I use jack stands to keep the car up (im getting two), while using the stock jack to get it in the air? also, when i had a off while changing a flat, i noticed that there was a lot of rust on the calipers and other parts of the wheel (disc, etc). what can i clean those parts with that wont damage anything? And finally, I want to paint those calipers, either black or gray to match the car, any thoughts?
i know its a lot, but any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by fmarionBMW; 03-18-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-18-2012, 06:06 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
You can't lift the car high enough with the factory supplied jack (the jack-o-death) to get it on jackstands. To try is very dangerous. You need a floor jack under the jack point below the engine and then put the jackstands under the rectangular jack pads on the side rails.
I have the sport suspension, and consequently, can't get a normal floor jack under my car. I use the factory jack under the lift point on the side to raise the car a few inches, then put the floor jack under it and lift high enough for jackstands.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 03-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Professional Amateur

Mein Auto: 2005 330CI ZHP
In order to jack up the front end of my ZHP, I have a couple of pieces of 2x12 boards about 2 feet long. I just drive the front tires on the 2x12's and that gives me enough clearance to get my Sears floor jack under the front jack point.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i Performance Package
I recently bought a low profile 2.5 ton jack at Harbor Freight. It is JUST barely low enough to fit under my ZHP to get to the jack point without having to resort to using wood. It's similar to this one, but mine is 2.5 tons AND was only $79(?). http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ump-68050.html

DO NOT use the factory supplied jack in the trunk. Do a search-the jack is just not sturdy enough nor is it well designed. Use it ONLY in an emergency and you have no choice but to change a tire yourself. If you have AAA, use it. That's what you pay them for.

Remember, if you're going to lie underneath a 2.5 ton hunk of steel, spend the money like your life depends on it. It does. Get good reliable jack stands. Hopefully with a redundant safety pin. NEVER rely on just the floor jack to be underneath it. Use the jack stands under the appropriate jack pads AND the floor jack as a redundant safety measure. ALWAYS. You don't get do-overs when it comes to life or death matters.

Johnny
Imola Red 2004 330i ZHP, Sunroof, Cold Weather Pkg, Assist, Navi & Leather. Upgrades: Front & Side Clear Lens, Clutch Stop & CDV Delete. 10.2006-Differential Swap to 3.46! 12.2006 - UUC SSK, DSSR and Tranny Mounts (Red).