Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-24-2007, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 323ci
I'll be doing this this weekend if I can find the NGK's, went with Bosch last time and it actually did feel a little different (hesitant). Maybe psychological but we'll see.

Thanks for the write-ups. On my 2000 323ci there is a grounding wire that needs to be disconected, do you not have this on later e46's or just skip it?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 M3 ZCP; '06 530 XIT
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Great article & excellent pics! Good beer too. Thanks Kris. I'm going to apply what you've given here to my 2000 528i because what you've shown looks pretty similar. Anyone have any suggestons (especially on how the coil connections may differ)?
Thanks!
Rick
Old 09-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
I'll be doing this this weekend if I can find the NGK's, went with Bosch last time and it actually did feel a little different (hesitant). Maybe psychological but we'll see.

Thanks for the write-ups. On my 2000 323ci there is a grounding wire that needs to be disconected, do you not have this on later e46's or just skip it?
Whenever you go from old spark plugs to new, regardless of brand, it may feel a little different. Just like you can't compare old tires of brand X to new tires of brand Y... tires always perform significantly different at the end of their life...

We don't have the grounding strap on later E46s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Friddle View Post
Great article & excellent pics! Good beer too. Thanks Kris. I'm going to apply what you've given here to my 2000 528i because what you've shown looks pretty similar. Anyone have any suggestons (especially on how the coil connections may differ)?
Thanks!
Rick

Rick,
Here's a write-up on changing the plugs on an E46 with the older coil design:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65380
Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci MT
Excellent write up, Thanks Kris. I like the tape on the extension trick, that's what it is all about, saving money and improvising to save more. Special tools can nickel and dime one to death.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i Sport Pkg
Took a bit of time, but replacement of the spark plugs on my 330i went pretty smoothly this afternoon. The only thing was that little clip of the wire loom makes it a little hard to remove the wire loom from the cabin filter tray.

Happy engine. I can tell it's running smoother now. Was surprised to even feel the difference. hehe...

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut_man View Post
Took a bit of time, but replacement of the spark plugs on my 330i went pretty smoothly this afternoon. The only thing was that little clip of the wire loom makes it a little hard to remove the wire loom from the cabin filter tray.

Happy engine. I can tell it's running smoother now. Was surprised to even feel the difference. hehe...

Thanks!
Great! How many miles are on your car, by the way?
Old 09-08-2007, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i Sport Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
Great! How many miles are on your car, by the way?
77k miles. 2 more things on my list, Koni FSD dampers (already ordered ) and I budgeted for new brake set (just abt done) next month.

Which reminds me, can someone recommened a set of good aftermarket brake pads that has minimal dust? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:07 PM
:(){ :|:& };:

Mein Auto: 325 Ci
Quote:
Step 4: This step isn't necessary, but I like to check the condition of the engine at any opportunity. It'll also give me a chance to clean under there. A clean engine is a happy engine. Remove the first (top) plastic engine cover. To do this, use a flat-bladed screwdriver to pull out the two covers... then unscrew the bolts with your 10mm socket. Then lift it right off. :

Step 5: Remove the left plastic engine cover. To do this, you'll have to remove the oil cap. You can then pry out the covers and remove the nuts (not bolts this time) with your 10mm socket. Lift the cover right off and place aside, then put your oil cap back on - after all, you wouldn't want to drop anything down there.

Great writeup Kris!

I just wanted to note that the M56's engine cover doesn't have bolts. It's secured by four prongs, and snaps off and on of them with a little pressure. Removing the oil cap isn't necessary.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: '01 330Ci
Wow. This just saved another unnecessary trip to the stealership.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Man you are the man

Thank you so much for great information
Old 10-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Lovin' My Bimmer

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Excellent write up Kris! Does anyone know a good place to get the "special tool" for the water pump? Do I need to have the special tool to replace just the belts?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: Porsches, BMW's
The special tool is on eBay all the time for around $17.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:16 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by buhbyyy View Post
Excellent write up Kris! Does anyone know a good place to get the "special tool" for the water pump? Do I need to have the special tool to replace just the belts?
Yeah, here's both the fan clutch tool and a thin 32mm open ended wrench that you'll need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Water...ayphotohosting
Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Lovin' My Bimmer

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Excellent. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330XI
spark plug replacement E64 330xi

At what miles do you recommend to change spark plugs?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnbmw View Post
At what miles do you recommend to change spark plugs?
Old 12-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Rob

Mein Auto: 2001 330I
Great Write Up.....Forgot Something Though!

Hi Kris,
Great information and photos! Just noticed that you didn't put dielectric grease in the ignition coil or on top of the spark plug (you can buy a small package at any autoshop for a couple of dollars). This added step will ensure you will not have a moisture problem from the spark plug wire to the spark plug. It will make the next time you repeat this process alot easier. The ignition coil should and will pop off the spark plug with alot less effort.
Also, I am a big fan of anti-seize, and I have used it for 10 years....never had a problem. I believe it has actually avoided problems, because if one spark plug gets stuck the head of your engine due to heat, your looking Hundreds(maybe even a thounsand) of dollars to have it removed by a local machine shop, that is of course, if you can pull your own engine out! I think the added cost of $1-3 for the anti-seize is a good insurance policy when you change the plugs, considering the alternative of following BMW's recommendation (read it in a posting) of not using it. Just a thought!
Keep it up! Rob
Old 12-20-2007, 01:13 AM
Rob

Mein Auto: 2001 330I
Great Write Up.....Forgot Something Though!

Hi Kris,
Great information and photos! Just noticed that you didn't put dielectric grease in the ignition coil or on top of the spark plug (you can buy a small package at any autoshop for a couple of dollars). This added step will ensure you will not have a moisture problem from the spark plug wire to the spark plug. It will make the next time you repeat this process alot easier. The ignition coil should and will pop off the spark plug with alot less effort.
Also, I am a big fan of anti-seize, and I have used it for 10 years....never had a problem. I believe it has actually avoided problems, because if one spark plug gets stuck the head of your engine due to heat, your looking hundreds(maybe even a thounsand) of dollars to have it removed by a local machine shop, that is of course, if you can pull your own engine out! I think the added cost of $1-3 for the anti-seize is a good insurance policy when you change the plugs, considering the alternative of following BMW's recommendation (read it in a posting) of not using it. Just a thought!
Keep it up! Rob
Old 12-20-2007, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfmcmurran View Post
Hi Kris,
Also, I am a big fan of anti-seize, and I have used it for 10 years....never had a problem. I believe it has actually avoided problems, because if one spark plug gets stuck the head of your engine due to heat, your looking hundreds(maybe even a thounsand) of dollars to have it removed by a local machine shop, that is of course, if you can pull your own engine out! I think the added cost of $1-3 for the anti-seize is a good insurance policy when you change the plugs, considering the alternative of following BMW's recommendation (read it in a posting) of not using it. Just a thought!
Keep it up! Rob
Although anti-seize is generally a good idea on bolts in a corrosive environment, it is generally not advised on spark plugs and wheel bolts/nuts due to the torque specs being determined for dry threads. In the case of spark plugs you risk over torquing and a poor ground contact.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Hey guys, gonna let you in on a little secret:

BMW includes a spark plug tool in the toolkit that came with your car.

It looks like a long metal tube but if you look in one end there's a nifty little plastic insert that fits over the spark plug to hold it securely.

You use it with the little metal rod that's also in the toolkit.

Have a look in your trunk!
Old 01-01-2008, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 05 M3
I don't think the spark plug tool is standard in the US toolkit. Some cars will have a spot in the toolkit for it, but no tool.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i Titanium Silver
Quote:

Rick,
Here's a write-up on changing the plugs on an E46 with the older coil design:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65380
Kris,

Thank you very much for the excellent write-up.

I had a couple questions:

1) Can you tell what coil design you have based on year model? I have a 2001 330i.

2) Isn't there some issue with the coil packs on e46s?

3) Do you have any extra franziskahner for me?

Cheers!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUmac View Post
Kris,

Thank you very much for the excellent write-up.

I had a couple questions:

1) Can you tell what coil design you have based on year model? I have a 2001 330i.

2) Isn't there some issue with the coil packs on e46s?

3) Do you have any extra franziskahner for me?

Cheers!

1) 2001 is probably the older design. It's just a few more bolts, 5-10 extra minutes overall.

2) There was a recall on coil packs on certain years (2003 was one of them). It's listed in the wiki.

3) No. I drank it all.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i Titanium Silver
Quote:
3) No. I drank it all.
sonofa....

Last edited by FSUmac; 01-10-2008 at 11:30 AM.