Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-02-2008, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i Titanium Silver
Finally did this today and it was incredibly easy with this DIY. The factory NGKs looked pretty worn at 71k. Replaced with NGKs.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
Great post, this was my first time doing spark plugs and this made it very easy for me. All the pictures were very helpful. I went with the bosch platinum +4 just because thats what autozone had. The idle is smoother and the car tacs up much better.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2008, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci BMW
Question Tss330

AS i'M NEW TO THE BMW WORLD i'M JUST TRYING TO FIGURE WHAT IS REALLY NEEDED IN THE WAY OF SERVICING AND WHAT ISN'T ...the '04 330 Ci HAS 58000 km(35000 Mi) on it. Next thing is Oil Service, but, at this stage do I really need to do anything else?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSS330 View Post
AS i'M NEW TO THE BMW WORLD i'M JUST TRYING TO FIGURE WHAT IS REALLY NEEDED IN THE WAY OF SERVICING AND WHAT ISN'T ...the '04 330 Ci HAS 58000 km(35000 Mi) on it. Next thing is Oil Service, but, at this stage do I really need to do anything else?
Have you had your Inspection I done? It is basically a glorified oil change. The dealer should cover that if you're still under warranty and under 50k miles. If not, it is easy to DIY: just change the oil, oil filter and cabin air filter element, top off all other fluids and do the visual inspections. Here's a checklist:
http://www.baydiagnostic.com/inspect...Inspection%20I
Also, if you are still under 50k and under warranty, the dealer should flush your brake fluid every 2 years. If it was my car, I would also change the engine air filter element, wiper blades and coolant.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
BMW recommends against anti-seize on the spark plugs.
No anti-seize on a steel plug going into an aluminum head ?!? Are they perhaps trying to create a new revenue stream selling replacement cylinder heads?

BTW, in case you don't want to use anti-seize per se, an old mechanic's trick I learned from my Dad: moisten the threads with a drop or two of clean engine oil, then dust a puff of graphite powder on them. Oil will be squeezed/burned off, but the graphite remains and lubricates when taking the plug out again.

Last edited by jcourcoul; 11-11-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 330i 09K13GT 83R100RS
Thanks so much for this DIY Spark plugs, fun and money saver. I really appreciate this.

Regards
Old 01-31-2009, 04:01 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
I'm glad this got bumped, it was good to see a guide before I eventually do mine.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Petrolhead

Mein Auto: 328i
You sir, are a huge asset to bimmerfest and the E46 community! Thanks for putting this up!
............................that's what gets you."

..................................................-Jeremy Clarkson
Old 04-06-2009, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 330i Performance Package
At 56k miles, I just replaced my spark plugs. if it wasn't for your awesome DIY and other supporting comments on this thread, i wouldn't have had the guts to tear into my engine bay. I would post some pictures up, but am embarrassed at how dirty my engine bay is! My spark plugs were just a dirty too. My son-in-law the mechanic helped out which was comforting and cool to have his tools at the ready. And, I did most of the work too! This almost completes my full Inspection II. Still need to get the fuel filter done. Will probably take it to a shop for that one.

I do have one question, when peering down the spark plug hole, the top of the cylinder was visible and it was fairly black with carbon.

I only have put super unleaded in my car but, haven't used any of the fuel system cleaners etc. Any suggestions on products to help this condition (if any?).

Thanks again!!!

Johnny
Imola Red 2004 330i ZHP, Sunroof, Cold Weather Pkg, Assist, Navi & Leather. Upgrades: Front & Side Clear Lens, Clutch Stop & CDV Delete. 10.2006-Differential Swap to 3.46! 12.2006 - UUC SSK, DSSR and Tranny Mounts (Red).
Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygraphic View Post
I do have one question, when peering down the spark plug hole, the top of the cylinder was visible and it was fairly black with carbon.

I only have put super unleaded in my car but, haven't used any of the fuel system cleaners etc. Any suggestions on products to help this condition (if any?).

Thanks again!!!

Johnny

Redline it more often.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
Redline it more often.
Best solution evar
Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Redline it more often.
You know, I just came back from a test drive and I KNEW someone was going to come up with that! LOL! I may not have it bumping off redline for hours at a time, but I get up there fairly regularly. I have a 30 minute commute with some quick spurts, especially on the way home when I have to fight that 680/24 interchange in WC!

Oh, and I enjoyed responsibly. It was a Clausthaler fom Germany.
Imola Red 2004 330i ZHP, Sunroof, Cold Weather Pkg, Assist, Navi & Leather. Upgrades: Front & Side Clear Lens, Clutch Stop & CDV Delete. 10.2006-Differential Swap to 3.46! 12.2006 - UUC SSK, DSSR and Tranny Mounts (Red).
Old 04-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
You know, I just came back from a test drive and I KNEW someone was going to come up with that! LOL! I may not have it bumping off redline for hours at a time, but I get up there fairly regularly. I have a 30 minute commute with some quick spurts, especially on the way home when I have to fight that 680/24 interchange in WC!

Oh, and I enjoyed responsibly. It was a Clausthaler fom Germany.
In all honesty, don't worry about the color you see. Doesn't mean a whole lot.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
In all honesty, don't worry about the color you see. Doesn't mean a whole lot.
I almost felt like getting a long Q-top and detailing the piston tops... Just kidding. I don't have it THAT bad!

Oh, one small tip. When you're replacing the top covers, don't press too hard on the little bolt cover thingies. The plastic holder in place thingies are fragile and will break off. So, it's off to the dealership for a very expensive little piece of plastic. I just hope they sell them separately. I don't want to buy an entire engine cover thingy just for that!

Johnny
Old 04-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Professional Amateur

Mein Auto: 2005 330CI ZHP
Its funny, I just changed my spark plugs this afternoon and this thread comes back from the dead. It took me about an hour, I wasn't in any rush. My car has 60K miles and the plugs looked good, it almost was a shame to replace them.

Tomorrow its the CAB's and then the cooling system.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmba2002 View Post
Its funny, I just changed my spark plugs this afternoon and this thread comes back from the dead. It took me about an hour, I wasn't in any rush. My car has 60K miles and the plugs looked good, it almost was a shame to replace them.

Tomorrow its the CAB's and then the cooling system.
Dude! How goes it in the South Bay? I grew up in Gardena. Used to love to go to a place called The Burnt Tortilla on Western. Moved up to Northern Cal in 1983.

Johnny
Old 04-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Professional Amateur

Mein Auto: 2005 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Dude! How goes it in the South Bay? I grew up in Gardena. Used to love to go to a place called The Burnt Tortilla on Western. Moved up to Northern Cal in 1983.

Johnny
Can't complain about the South Bay, it was 80 deg yesterday, it suppose to be in the mid 70's today and it suppose to rain tonight.

The Burnt Tortilla is great, maybe I'll cruse over there after I finish with the CAB's.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:02 PM

just giving some props to KrisL did my plugs today on my 03' 325i this made it an easy job and seems to have smoothed out my acceleration so I'm all giddy again!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
KrisL, another helpful post. I'll be changing my plugs this weekend. One question though. It's been a long time since I've changed plugs on any car. You didn't mention having to check/set the gap on the plugs? Are they already set when you get them now? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by camzdad View Post
KrisL, another helpful post. I'll be changing my plugs this weekend. One question though. It's been a long time since I've changed plugs on any car. You didn't mention having to check/set the gap on the plugs? Are they already set when you get them now? Thanks!
Already set.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: E46
Changed plugs still running rough....coils and cylinders

KRISL, man great. I just changed my plugs after wrestling over whether or not i can do it and it was like butter. Great instructions to the mechanical terrified to break something.

Now that i have done that the ride still runs a lot rougher, shakes and vibrations. When i change the plugs (E46 1999 323i) there were 3 out of the 6 spark plug socket covers that pratically did not have to use any effort to pull off and 3 that i really had to use a little mojo to get off. The three that need little effort, do they need to be replaced or is that how they are suppose to fit. the spring coil inside looked flat vs the others.

I feel like i am close to getting my baby back running properly without having to spend a lot of money at the dealer or independent. Do you think you have any advice on helping with this?

Thank you sir! I look forward to hearing from you!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightbimmer View Post
KRISL, man great. I just changed my plugs after wrestling over whether or not i can do it and it was like butter. Great instructions to the mechanical terrified to break something.

Now that i have done that the ride still runs a lot rougher, shakes and vibrations. When i change the plugs (E46 1999 323i) there were 3 out of the 6 spark plug socket covers that pratically did not have to use any effort to pull off and 3 that i really had to use a little mojo to get off. The three that need little effort, do they need to be replaced or is that how they are suppose to fit. the spring coil inside looked flat vs the others.

I feel like i am close to getting my baby back running properly without having to spend a lot of money at the dealer or independent. Do you think you have any advice on helping with this?

Thank you sir! I look forward to hearing from you!

You say the car "still" runs rough - was it running rough before you did this?

The coils should be snug on the spark plugs... do you have a check engine light? If there is any spark plug misfire, the light should be on, and with a simple code reader you can identify the problem..
Old 12-30-2009, 02:13 PM

KrisL inspection II spark plugs DIY

KrisL,

I have a 2003 325i

That was an awesome post, followed your method, to the letter it was great. The photos make it all gel. Took my time and it went smooth. My coil cover popped up by finger 90 degees to the engine orientation, to the right, towards the drivers side. After completing called to check for an estimate, dealer ship $340.00 I'm sure an indy shop would be cheaper, but it sure makes you feel good when it all comes together. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW shots 051.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	213349   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW shots 052.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	213350   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW shots 053.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	213351  
Old 07-11-2010, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 320-325i-328i-330i
Sweet :New guy on the block . Gettin the hang of this electronic world
Old 12-14-2010, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW 540i6
DIY Spark plugs

Hello everyone. I am going to change my spark plugs on my E46 in the next couple of days. I wanted to know if there is something else I should do in the area while I am at it. I am going to also change the cabin filter. Any insight or recommendations would be appreciated. thanks