Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 06-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to lensman314
Mein Auto: '11 E92 335i
June 9-19th ED Quick Report

Quick Recap, pictures are still being sorted and categorized, so a more detailed trip report will be coming...eventually!* There is lots to do

Day 1: We left DFW Airport to head to Philly to get on the flight to Munich.* Our flight out of Philly was late, so US Airways did the right thing, and made the liquor for the flight free * *We got some sleep on the plane, and finally made it into Munich (Day 2), to wait forever to get our baggage.* We almost missed Rolf, but a phone call recalled him, and he came up with a luggage cart riding his Razor-like Scooter. He took us to the hotel.* I would recommend Rolf again; he had great suggestions for things to do, including visiting the Andechs Monastery and Brewery.* We then got a train ticket to go check out Marienplatz and find some dinner at one of the restaurants there.

Day 3: I am wide awake at 4:30am, much to the annoyance of my girlfriend Lindsay, eager to get ready to get on the train to Freimann (U-Bahn stop for the Euro Delivery Center, EDC).* I go back to bed for an hour or so, and then we get ready, and get on the train.* We get to the EDC before 7:30, and there are 3 or 4 other parties waiting for their cars.* By luck of the draw, Phillip meets us with the paperwork as we are halfway through breakfast.* We appear to be the 1st delivery of the day!* Paperwork finished, we took some time to finish the Danish and coffee, and then meet up with Phillip again to go to the car.* Everything was perfect.* The Navigation DVD from Beewang worked, the USB/6FL specific cable + Lindsay’s iPod worked, and my mp3 CDs worked.* Phillip goes over everything I didn’t know how to do, from reading the manual previously.* We plug in the address to MADA, and off we go, into the rain!* Meet up with Thomas at MADA, fill out the paperwork, and we are off again.* We head down to Andechs to have lunch.* After driving around the lake nearby, we head towards Munich and just drive around, enjoying the car.* We head back to the hotel, and get some rest.

Day 4: We get up, get breakfast at the grocery store bakery, and head up to Regensburg to tour the BMW Werks there.* We get to the town a bit early, so we go towards downtown, and find a parking spot.* We walk towards the cathedral, and take some pictures in and out, find lunch, and head back towards the car, to drive to the factory.* We where very impressed with the bodyshop and all the robots in there.* It was amazing to see the 3er coupes, ‘verts, and 1ers on the same line.* It was also pretty cool to see the drivetrain “snapped” to the partially assembled body, and then tightened up.* We also saw the room where the ‘vert’s roofs where put on. We make our way back to Munich off the autobahn, and find dinner somewhere.

Day 5: We get up, checkout of the hotel, do breakfast at the grocery store again, and make our way south to Neuschwanstein.* We walk up the hill, and take the tour.* Its been 20 some odd years since I was there last, and there is a couple of more rooms that you see compared to long ago.* Walk back down, and head up in the direction of Stuttgart.* We meet up with one of the Autobahns right near Ulm/Gunzberg/LEGOLand.* We stop to take a couple of pictures, but decide we are tired, and head on to the hotel in Stuttgart.* We hit rush hour traffic, so it was not the best part of driving, but we eventually make it there.* Check in, get dinner, and then rest.

Day 6: We get up, and make our way to the Porsche Factory/Museum.* Luckily, our hotel was right down the street, so we did not have to walk to far. The Museum is cool, but not very large, and by the time we are called for the factory tour, we pretty much have finished the museum.* The Porsche Factory is very neat.* We did not get to see the body shop or paint shop, but we where able to see the unpainted bodies coming from the shop, on their way to the paint shop.* The assembly line was very interesting. There where a lot of similarities to the BMW plant, and a couple of differences, but well worth the tour.* We also got to see the engine shop, and the upholstery shop.* After that, we head back to the hotel, then take the train to the Hauptbahnhof (main train station), and get some lunch. From there we get on another train to get to the Mercedes Museum.* We walk a good distance, and then explore that museum for a couple of hours.* We are leaving just as it’s about to close, so we head back to the hotel.

Day 7: We get up, check out of the hotel and make our way north to Gerolstein, where our hotel near The Ring is.* On the way there, we come across the Weinstrasse (literal translation: Wine Street), which is a road that weaves its way through the major wine producing area of Germany, and find a winery or two to try some wine, and get some bottles to take home for gifts.* We eventually make it to Gerolstein, and find the hotel.* We take it easy for the rest of the day, since we have been walking a lot the past couple of days.

Day 8: The Nürburgring!* Weather was very cloudy, and partly rainy(much like the previous days). *We make it to the track, and immediately see lots of really neat cars, and lots of motorcycles.* We find the ticket booth, and I read the rules (even though I read them on the web long ago) and it says cars with export plates (as my car has) are not allowed. *So, along with the rain, the busy-ness of the track, and that rule, I rule out a attempt at getting on the track.* We get a bunch of pictures, then we drive out along the roads along the track, and try to get a glimpse of the track. *It is separated a lot by trees, even more so than I thought it would be, so there are few places. *The places we do find though are very good views, and we get a couple of videos and lots of pictures of various cars. *We even saw the Ring Taxi’s make a couple of laps. *After that, we try to look for the road to the Nürburg castle, but we are not finding the right road very well, due to what looked like road closed signs. *No big deal though, it was fun driving on the roads around here, as it was very hilly, and there where some good switchbacks.* We head up to Köln, and drive around a bit, but there was a lot of road construction in the city, so we get some pictures of the cathedral from a bridge over the Rhine, and head back to the hotel.

Day 9:* We get up, check out, and make our way back to Munich. *We finally had more than 1200 miles on the odometer, so I did not feel guilty going over the supposed engine break-in limits anymore, so I did a lot more traveling over 100mph.* We make it in time to go to the temporary BMW Museum in the Olympic Park, and to walk around the park a little. *After that, we try to go to the hotel to the north of Munich, but we had the wrong city plugged into the nav computer, so we get the right city, and head in the right direction. *We repack the bags so the wine we bought will fit, get dinner, and sleep.

Day 10: We get up, check out of the hotel, and make our way to a carwash and then MADA, to drop the car off.* Thomas liberates the front license plate for me, and Rolf meets us to take us to the airport. *Traffic was somewhat bad, but we make it there, and met my dad, who just arrived in Munich for business.* We have a quick drink, then we make our way to the gate. *Our plane is an hour late leaving, but only 10 minutes late by the time we get to Philly, but we still end up missing our connecting flight in Philly, due to the long lines in security and customs.* US Airways gets us a new flight, and puts us up in a hotel in NJ, so we get some pizza from Dominos, and sleep.

Day 11: We get up early, get ready, and get to the airport with plenty of time to spare, and make it back home with no problems.

Thanks to:
Irv, Beewang, Rolf, and everyone who has shared thier wisdom on this board to make this trip very smooth!

Lessons Learned:
Nav is a must.
Allow 2.5+ hours in Philly if you need a connecting flight into the US, coming from customs.

Pictures:
1: Pickup
2: Near Neuschwanstein
3: The Green Hell
4: BMW Welt and HQ from temporary museum
5: Dropoff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pickup.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	113282   Click image for larger version

Name:	ChapelNearNeuschwanstein.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	113283   Click image for larger version

Name:	GreenHell.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	113284   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMWWelt4Cyl.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	113285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dropoff.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	113286  

'11 E92 335i 6MT/LeMans/MSport/iDrive/BT/USB/HeatedSeats
-Euro-Delivery 06/16-06/21 '10 Pics
'07 E92 335i 6MT/Monaco/Sport/iDrive/BT/USB/HeatedSeats
-Euro-Delivery 06/11-06/18 '07 Re-Delivery 08/09/07 Pics/Log
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Don't be a left lane hog

Mein Auto: Golf VI R
I guess you're not an Audi fan.
Post more pics soon.
E90 330i ED June 26 2006- ED Trip Report

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"- George Carlin
Old 06-27-2007, 06:41 PM

We drove by Ingolstadt (sp?) on the way back to Munich but did not have time to stop in. Not really a huge Mercedes fan either, but everyone said the museum is good, which it was. Maybe next time when the new Porsche Museum is open.

Hmm, not really sure why there are asterisks all over the original post. Dumb MS Word + cut/paste I guess. Did not notice them in the preview

Last edited by lensman314; 06-27-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Nice (brief ) report and photos!

One question: why did you go to Harms twice?

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 06-28-2007, 05:21 AM

First time to test the nav (lol, kidding) and to get the paperwork out of the way, and to have a quick dropoff in case we wanted to drop off early early Monday morning. Timing worked out great. As Thomas and I where up getting the plastic bag for the plate, Rolf pulled up.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:53 PM
UR MOTHER IS AN ASTRONAUT

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
I want to visit Regensburg during my trip, but they were closed for a private party.

Oh yeah....BUMP

Racism is not an exkuse to not do the best you kan -Arthur Ashe
(Yes I know that there are words spelled w/ a "K" where a "C" should be. Only Distinguished Gentlemen of K A Psi will understand.)

ED @ Welt 27.10.07 l Drop-Off Bremerhaven 05.11.07 l Made Port NJ 26.11.07 l PCD 21.12.07
2008 E92 335i Barbera Red l Saddle Brown l Aluminum Trim l ZPP l ZCW l ZSP l CA l Nav l HD Radio l 6MT l PDC l 6FL

Join BMWCCA www.bmwcca.org #369006