Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-11-2007, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i Sport Pkg
Cleaned MAF, 10 min job, done, $6. No need to remove air box.

Last edited by peanut_man; 09-11-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i Titanium Silver
Once again, excellent write up. Thank you.

Questions:

1) I can just go to Autozone and pick up any Dexron III / Mercon ATF fluid for the power steering system? What if the bottle says Dexron IV?

2) If I wanted to replace the PS reservoir (and built in filter), could I just drain the reservoir as instructed in this DIY and then remove the old reservoir or will this spill ATF everywhere?

3) Do you have any more Downtown Brown?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Kris, thanks for the info, very helpful. I don't think you need to remove the box to get the MAF out, just remove the cover from the box. putting it back wasn't easy because of the rubber support underneath it.
My '04 325xi is showing an annoying idle oscillation. It oscillates from 500 to 1000 rpm for a few seconds or cycles, i'd say, about 2-3 cycles (5-6 at the most) and then goes back to normal. Read in couple of places that the MAF might be responsible for such problem (twice in the dealer and didn;t fix it). After cleaning the MAF, "seems" the problem is gone. Need to drive it for a few days in order to declare victory (or not !).
Old 03-07-2008, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Thumbs up

are these process the same for 04 x i

Great job Brother
Old 03-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavon330xi View Post
are these process the same for 04 x i

Great job Brother
Yes, all non-M e46s are basically identical under the hood (except for the weird SULEV 325s).
Old 03-08-2008, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
nice...im planning to do my power steering fluid same as yours and also the MAF sensor. Can i use synthetic ATF like Mobil 1 Dex III ATF? I know my dealer or BMW used non synthetic ATF w/c is labeled BP ATF that comes in a yellow label container.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by orics View Post
nice...im planning to do my power steering fluid same as yours and also the MAF sensor. Can i use synthetic ATF like Mobil 1 Dex III ATF? I know my dealer or BMW used non synthetic ATF w/c is labeled BP ATF that comes in a yellow label container.
Yeah, I think any DexIII ATF would be OK.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venky View Post
I bought the MAF cleaner spray from local parts store and ATF fluid (Dexron III) from local BMW dealer. I will do this today evening. I dont have the tools to unbolt the 10mm bolts in step 2. I will visit Sears/Home depot and will buy a tool kit with a torque wrench.
What kind of ATF fluid (dexron lll) did the dealer gave you? Is it synthetic or not? Actually, I have 2 ATF's fluid in hand, one is from the dealer w/c branded BP ATF Dexron lll in a yellow label container which is a non synthetic and I have also ATF Dexron lll Castrol syntec (synthetic) w/c i bought from my local auto store. Im planning to change the fluid this weekend and I cannot decide w/c fluid to use. Does anyone here have used synthetic ATF w/out any problem? Im afraid it might leak or something.

thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
Yeah, I think any DexIII ATF would be OK.
kris,
What kind of ATF fluid (dexron lll) did you used? Is it synthetic or not? Actually, I have 2 ATF's fluid in hand, one is from the dealer w/c branded BP ATF Dexron lll in a yellow label container which is a non synthetic and I have also ATF Dexron lll Castrol syntec (synthetic) w/c i bought from my local auto store. Im planning to change the fluid this weekend and I cannot decide w/c fluid to use. Does anyone here have used synthetic ATF w/out any problem? Im afraid it might leak or something.

Im planning also to flush the manual trans. what size is the allen wrench to be used?

05 330i
Old 04-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Ubergeek

It was non-synthetic. The manual tranny doesn't use an allen wrench.

http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_tran_fluid.shtml
Old 04-10-2008, 02:33 PM

Yup, I know before I have a 2000 323i, it has drain & fill bolt but i was surprised w/ my 05 330i, because it has a flat type allen bolt. I called the dealer parts dept. to ask, they confirm it is an allen type flat bolt but not sure about the size. They said, maybe it is a 14 or 17 allen size.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:54 AM

I was under my car yesterday, the size is 8.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
I am planning on doing the P/S fluid change soon and went to pick up a bottle of ATF at the local auto store.. the best fluid they have on the shelf was Mobil 1 Syn. ATF Multi-Vehicle Formula Mercon V. They did not have the Mobil 1 Dex III version. Do you guys think it's ok to use the Mercon V? Thanks.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:03 AM

Yup, I think its okay. Im gonna drain mine also this weekend. I think Mobil 1 is spec ATF mercon V w/c is the improved and upgraded version. Our car is spec for ATF mercon III. I decided to go w/ the Castrol synthetic w/c is ATF mercon III.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:34 AM

I did mine last night. It was easy...

Thanks KRIS...
Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
I kinda feel late to the party, but I have been having issues with the MAF sensor (what I've been told by my dealer on 3 separate visits) in my '04 330i ZHP auto. My car does the rough idling thing as mentioned by others on this thread, but it also doesn't like to start on random occasions (warm, cold, flat surface, incline, etc.). In addition, sometimes my car seems to stop delivering fuel on hard acceleration from 1st gear to 2nd (whether in automatic or manual mode).

What's really confusing is that I have (attempted) to clean the MAF sensor (twice) and actually replaced the MAF with a "new" part (got it for $80 it was either used or remanufactured). I am about to shell out the $300 to $400 bucks for a brand new sensor but I wanted to see if there is something I am missing or something else I can check. I am weary of my dealer and their diagnoses (especially since they wanted to charge me $110 bucks in service alone to put on the MAF!).

Admittedly, I am a complete rookie at maintenance on my car (just got it in Sep. 07 & besides oil changes, I have had no need for service whatsoever since I've had it).

Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated! (And great DIY!!)
Old 09-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: '01 530i Sport, '95 530i
@rmelam2

If you are not getting anywhere with your MAF, you might have a failing camshaft position sensor. There are two on the m54 engine (3.0L I6 like my 530i, etc.). You'll have an intake CPS and an exhaust CPS. Both are easy to get to and replace. A sure DIY task for big $$$ savings. Below is a good DIY link and tere is a ton of other DIY info. on the forums if you run a quick search.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=P0340

I'd run by an AutoZone and have them read out any codes stored in the computer. Write those codes down and come back here and post the results. If it is one of these CPS sensors then you're a few bolts away from a pretty easy fix.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: '95 Passat GLX, '99 328i
I bought 2 bottles of Redline power steering fluid, and I'm certain that will work just fine, though I don't know if 1 bottle will be enough to flush the system until the fluid becomes relatively clean. If not, I'll use the 2nd bottle (though I intended it for use on my other car).

I'm waiting for a turkey baster I ordered to arrive before beginning (eta tomorrow).

Question - Is this the method only used by DIYer's, or do indy and dealer mechanics use this process? Seems a more thorough method would be to disconnect the lowest possible hose, though that may be quite messy. Thoughts on this?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjones View Post
I bought 2 bottles of Redline power steering fluid, and I'm certain that will work just fine, though I don't know if 1 bottle will be enough to flush the system until the fluid becomes relatively clean. If not, I'll use the 2nd bottle (though I intended it for use on my other car).

I'm waiting for a turkey baster I ordered to arrive before beginning (eta tomorrow).

Question - Is this the method only used by DIYer's, or do indy and dealer mechanics use this process? Seems a more thorough method would be to disconnect the lowest possible hose, though that may be quite messy. Thoughts on this?

First, BMWs do NOT use power steering fluid for power steering, they use ATF... even the cap says ATF ONLY. If you want to try Redline power steering fluid, go ahead... it might be similar enough, it might not...

I don't know what method mechanics use. There is no doubt that disconnecting the hose will result in a better flush.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:53 PM

Thanks for this thread kris, I haven't done these two things yet but they are next on my list.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
First, BMWs do NOT use power steering fluid for power steering, they use ATF... even the cap says ATF ONLY. If you want to try Redline power steering fluid, go ahead... it might be similar enough, it might not...
Yeah, shoot! After your post, I called my indy mechanic, and he too said not to use power steering fluid, regardless of manufacturer. Got my turkey baster from UPS just minutes ago, but now need to take a lengthy drive to pickup the right fluid! Shoot!!! Thanks for the heads up. Even though I would have been warned by the cap when the time came, I'm glad to have this taken care of before I do the job.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:32 PM

Picked up 2 quarts of Redline D4 ATF and just finished replacing my '99 328i power steering fluid. In the last couple months I've put a lot of research and time into identifying the preventative maintenance for my car, and specifically since it has 87.5K miles.

The last inspection was done Nov 2005 at 60.3K miles. I retain all records on my 2 cars, and am fully aware of what is done and what I ask my indy mechanic to perform. I don't know that my indy mechanic changed the power steering fluid at 60.3K miles, unless it was performed as part of the inspection.

However, my power steering fluid was hardly off-color at all. In fact, I only sucked out the reservoir twice, and not even that much - maybe 1.75 times. As I was sucking out the fluid the 2nd time, I was noting I could not tell any difference in color between what I was pulling out and the new Redline D4 ATF.

Going to start my '95 VW Passat now. I also have no records of that car ever having the power steering fluid replaced, so that should be interesting. I was expecting the Bimmer's PSF to be pretty nasty, but it must have been changed at 87.5K miles, and not gotten too dirty since.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Thanks a bunch Kris. I got the dreaded P0171/174, and cleaning the MAF, and adding fuel injector cleaner were a couple of things I did. I unfortunately had the codes cleared(should have waited), so dont know if it fixed the problem, but lets wait and see. In any case, it was an excellent write-up, just had a little trouble re-inserting the lower air channel back into the air-box, but it was not bad at all.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
I'm going to use a fluid transfer pump on the PS resevior and have a question.
Do I need to clean the pump before using it again for the tranny and differential?
And is cleaning just letting it drain for a while or do I need to do something else?
It's an Autozone hand pump.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamvegas View Post
I'm going to use a fluid transfer pump on the PS resevior and have a question.
Do I need to clean the pump before using it again for the tranny and differential?
And is cleaning just letting it drain for a while or do I need to do something else?
It's an Autozone hand pump.
I personally just let as much oil drain out of it as possible. I figure a little bit of the wrong type of oil is better than a little bit of soap/water from cleaning it.