Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
Thanks Kris. Yea, I'll just let it "hang and drain" for a day or so with a shop rag underneath. Soap bubbles in my tranny or diff just doesn't sound so good
Old 01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamvegas View Post
Thanks Kris. Yea, I'll just let it "hang and drain" for a day or so with a shop rag underneath. Soap bubbles in my tranny or diff just doesn't sound so good
I just let it "hang and drain" for about 10 mins .
Old 01-12-2009, 05:47 PM
BMW by necessity

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP 6spd
I did this when I first got my car. The MAF was very easy (didnt have to remove the airbox though). For the PS, I did two changes, then waited a day (normal driving) then did two more changes, waited another day, then was going to do two more, but the first looked fresh. I liked driving for a day to really circulate the fluid.

Great write-up, especially the photos.

Three pedal ZHP
Old 01-12-2009, 06:10 PM

Great post and pics. I've done that approach (turkey baster) with PS systems in previous cars with great success. Looks like I'll need to do that on the BMW soon! Thanks again.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT sedan
Old 02-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Fully Dysfunctional

Mein Auto: 02 325i
02 325i Auto 50k...

Tranny was power flushed and brake fluid flushed on Thursday...When I determine which Diff fluid to use it will be changed along with the oil (Mobil 1) and filter tomorrow...

Minutes ago I replaced the PS fluid using the artificial insemination/turkey basting tool method...The fluid removed was as clean as the fluid replaced, so only 1 qt was required...
I replaced the micro and air filters both of which were filthy...A lot of sand and grit was at the bottom of the air box, so I took a small brush and pushed it all down the hole at the bottom of the box...I hope that is the purpose of the hole, if it isn't where does it lead ?

The MAF Sensor was removed and cleaned but it appeared as new, and I didn't need to take the airbox out to accomplish this task...

Coolant will need to be puchased online as there are no BMW stealers locally...
What Diff fluid can I purchase off the shelf of my local auto parts store ?

That costs too mucking fuch ! !...

Sig courtesy of SolidJake...
Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: E46 325i 01'
my power steering fluid is farily enw i guess... when i open the cap i cant still see red liquid but when i turn my steering wheel it sounds extremely rough.. im pretty sure the fluid is new i just dont know what to do
Old 02-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Fully Dysfunctional

Mein Auto: 02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyb421 View Post
my power steering fluid is farily enw i guess... when i open the cap i cant still see red liquid but when i turn my steering wheel it sounds extremely rough.. im pretty sure the fluid is new i just dont know what to do
Can you see the fluid or not ?... You indicated that you can't see it..

That costs too mucking fuch ! !...

Sig courtesy of SolidJake...
Old 02-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 325i / 335i
Thank you to this post. Today I changed my power steering fluid using the turkey baster, and drained it 3 times. There is no significant difference, but I feel good that I did it. $3.99 for ATF fluid at BMW dealership (they actually sold me ATF fluid from NAPA) and $1.00 for the turkey baster.
Step | Oxford Green Metallic | Gray Leather | Sports Package | Harman Kardon | Heated Seats
Old 02-16-2009, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
Not to sound too stupid, but would Dexron III ATF work for my 01 BMW 325i? Would it hurt the power steering system? Also, today I was dangerously low on coolant and stopped at Autozone and purchased some coolant 50/50, w/out nitrates and it said that it works for al cars and all models. Would it hurt my car since most people say to use only BMW coolant?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:05 AM

Finally got around to beginning the process on flushing thru new fluid. Wow, the old fluid was rather dirty for "just" the 65k that is on my 330. Got one round thru last night and plan on doing that for several more evenings until I get the fluid back to red... Might be awhile given the brownish fluid that was removed last night.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT sedan
Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: e46 ZHP, e90 M3
In case I want to power flush the power steering fluid, how many quarts of ATF do I need?
Old 09-07-2009, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 330i Performance Package
Kudos to Kris!

I just finished the MAF and power steering flush. I likewise didn't need to remove the airbox. I was able to wrangle the hose behind the MAF sufficiently to remove the MAF. Cleaning it went very easily.

The Power Steering flush was also very easy. I made a special trip and bought a $3.99 baster from Safeway. Should have bought a six pack instead. Of all the basters out there, I wind up with a defective baster. More of a dribbler than a baster. When sucking, it dribbled the fluid. Had to be ready with the paper towels etc to clean up the mess. So, I just dragged my Mityvac (should have done that from the beginning) and sucked it up that way. Much easier. But, the baster method is nice because you can see how nasty the fluid is. Here is a shot of my fluid after 61,700 miles.

Sorry for the fuzzy shot. I'm no Kris!

Only had to flush it twice. Only have a little bit of fluid left so even if I needed to, I couldn't do another flush. But it looks quite clear.

Anyway, thanks again & happy motoring!

Johnny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	200486  
Imola Red 2004 330i ZHP, Sunroof, Cold Weather Pkg, Assist, Navi & Leather. Upgrades: Front & Side Clear Lens, Clutch Stop & CDV Delete. 10.2006-Differential Swap to 3.46! 12.2006 - UUC SSK, DSSR and Tranny Mounts (Red).
Old 12-29-2009, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 328Ci; A4 1.8T
When you conduct steps 3, 4, and 5 of the power steering flush do you drive the car around or just leave it stationary? If that latter, do you have any concern about flatspotting your tires?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
When you conduct steps 3, 4, and 5 of the power steering flush do you drive the car around or just leave it stationary? If that latter, do you have any concern about flatspotting your tires?
Stationary, and no, no concerns.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: New York
MAF Cleaned

Thank you. Very easy DIY completed in no time.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to RemusR6
Mein Auto: 2012 328i sport
Hey Kris,thanks for all your help with maintenance and pics for sure were helpful! I can't change the fuel filter myself,can't do any work on my app complex plus I don't have the tools. I found a place here in LA called Avus Autosports and they will do that for me for $115 with my filter. I'm only paying for the installation. Also, transmission flush for $87 bucks. I think its a fair price,the closest dealer by me in Beverly Hills BMW,wants a little over $200 to install it and they don't recommend the transmission flush...I never understood why? What do you think?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 650
nice guide for changing power steering fluid, thanks.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw show View Post
nice guide for changing power steering fluid, thanks.
A new recommendation is to also replace the power steering cap 0 ring:
- ZF (OES) Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Cap O-Ring Seal
- 32 41 1 128 333

Here are details from Scott and more details from cn90 on why Dexron VI (and not Dexron III anymore).

Last edited by bluebee; 05-25-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330CI
Excellent DIY

Thanks for the info and DIY, the MAF Sensor Cleaner worked like a charm, my car just started stalling/hesitating/erroneous idle RPM today on the way home from work. It turns out that after cleaning the sensor, the car still responded the same with the sensor connected, when the sensor was not connected = fail safe operating mode where the indications and erroneous engine response stopped. THEN, when I cleaned the MAF Sensor wiring harness adapter and reconnected, all was well. Not sure how that connection got dirty, but it is AZ, and I had it disconnected 8 weeks ago when I replaced my oil filter housing gasket, which was a pain. All in all, thanks for the great DIY and feedback from everyone else.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
Hey, I'm in AZ and mine is clean.