Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-01-2007, 05:15 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
My engine was almost entirely stock. It was a beast, and the car was 600 pounds heavier.
If it could be done, and I had the time and money, it would definitely be something I'd give a shot. Not the 7M, though. It does have some great torque, but the 1JZ would be a great motor.

I was miserably disappointed with the interior quality compared to th Supra, though.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 07-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Spitfire

Mein Auto: 94' 318iS
You mean Supra vs. BMW qualiy?

Looks like youre was a special edition or something ? What year was it again ?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:38 PM
I Am The Machine

As far as interior, mine was better in quality and had a ton of good features.

1991 Mk3 Toyota Supra Turbo, 5 speed, targa top.
As far as interior:
-Leather
-Full power seats + power adjustable lumbar AND side bolsters
-Nicer quality soft touch plastics on the dash
-Stock CD + Casette + Radio
-10 speakers
-Fully auto, digital climate control (and it actually made sense to use!)
-Much bigger glovebox
-Footwell lighting
-More roomy
-Less plasticy, the interior really did feel higher quality
-Door panels felt a tad bit more secure
-Everything felt more durable

Now, my interior wasn't in quite as good of condition (was left out in the sun for years before I had it and I replaced the radio with my own, but other than that...)

Also, it had actively controlled suspension, the shock stiffness would adjust according to vehicle speed and braking and steering amounts, 50 more HP and TQ, single turbo, spoiler, targa top, weighed 600 pounds more but still felt pretty good around corners, although the BMW is unquestionably better, but not by a whole lot.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now, the interior didn't *look* as good, but oh well. It did feel better. And had all the features. Only missing heated seats (which my drivers side one doesn' work anyway....) and the OBC, other than that, fully comparable. OHHH, also, the pedals were much better placed for heel-toe. Just a small caveat.

My girlfriend actually liked the Supra better. Oh well. They're both great cars in their own rights. I definitely absolutely love my Bimmer. Just a nice little comparison.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 07-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Spitfire

Mein Auto: 94' 318iS
I must say, I am very impressed ! Except for the cracked driver seat ! the Sun !

Nice ride, American spec. thats why ! Ones ive seen from Japan fall apart.

But in general older cars (and this is considered old!) They had much better quality!! And plus this thing was never aimed at the E.U. market. Only the U.S. market with these options .
Old 07-01-2007, 06:19 PM
I Am The Machine

Thanks, yeah, I hated that the seat was cracked. It was on my list of things to fix, after I got some performance stuff done. Stupid thing was left in the sun, no tint on the windows, just left there for years baking. Sigh. At least the pain stayed nice.

Yeah, in Japan they're a dime a dozen. The last gen ones (MkIV's) go for an absolute minimum of 15 grand, for a 1993 in decent condition, NA, and high mileage. Turbo 98's (the last US year) with average mileage and decent condition fetch MORE than they went for new.
In Japan, you can pick up 98 and higher turbo's with low mileage for about 1/2 what they are in America. I'm so jealous. Haha.

Now, there are a good amount of trashed MkIII's here, but the good condition ones are rare and worth a good amount. Mine sold for 2700 with the engine and tranny OUT of the car, and the engine with a thrown rod. Possibly more than one.
As far as age, don't forget that the E36's began in the same year as my car is. There isn't much of an age difference, that was a 91, my Bimmer is a 94.

Just my 2 cents

Oh, and they were sold in the JDM, USDM, and EUDM markets, but the EU was never a huge target, but a good amount did make it there.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana

Last edited by E36 Phantom; 07-01-2007 at 06:21 PM.