Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSpinnst View Post
IAnytime BMW can steal people form Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura I am happy. Hell they can even pick off a few Cadillac and Lincoln customers (not that they really compete given the product at both up until recently).
Why are you happy? Do you work for bmw or something? We should hope our American car companies gain sales I would hope

Sold:
330i Titanium, Manual, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Aluminum Trim, Sport Package

ED Oct 2005
Redelivery 12-2-2005
Old 07-14-2007, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3, 2001 M3Ci
maybe two markets

BMW might actually score large in two segments, one young, one older. My first BMW was a 2002tii, a hoot to drive, easy to work on and just a tossable, wonderful car. I have owned four BMW's, one 911, a lotus and two mercedes since, nothing came close to the fun of the 2002. For older farts like me, this 1 series is a trip down memory lane- I am already in line for one. The new 3 is wonderful, but too refined for me. Just traded in an E46 M3- wonderful car but a bit too hard edged for my 50's sensibilities. I personally think this 1 series will be a hit for older enthusiasts and introduce a new generation to what made BMW great.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci2B View Post
Why are you happy? Do you work for bmw or something? We should hope our American car companies gain sales I would hope
I'm happy when the competition steals sales from BMW. It forces BMW to make my next purchase that much better. Competition is a beautiful thing.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Analyst + Therapist = ...

Mein Auto: people crazy
My perspective on this is that the e9x's series is the same size as the e39 I have. I chose the 5 because I didn't want to be rubbing elbows with the passenger and still wanted performance. I wanted comfort 70% of the time and still be able to drive fast when I felt like it.
The 7 was too big.

Now, the 3 feels just right and the new 5 feels like a boat to me. Nothing wrong with it (I lied, it's got too much junk in the trunk aka fadunkadunk).

So there must be a huge segment of 3 owners who now feel they have no "right sized car".

The 1 series will fill that demographic.

The person who says "I need 4 seats and the 3 'feels' too big".

Also, the 3 in Europe must feel like a behemoth on 2/3 of the local roads. Doesn't the "L" in the 7 series stand for Long? And that was just adding 6" to the legroom in the back.

The Z is still the true 2 seater, not an "everyday" car for someone who has kids.

The 1 replaces the 3, the 5 replaced the 7, and the 7 just got truly fat, and became completely out of the question with the selector on the column.

My .02

George Santayana
Old 07-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Automotive Supplier

Mein Auto: 2008 Corvette & 2006 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci2B View Post
In the Luxury Segment Cadillac needs a kick in the pants, as does Lincoln. I am very pro-US car buying (even though I also like BMW), but you can't let GM and Ford rest on anything. If they think they are losing sales (which sometimes they do), they will get off their ass and get into the game.

Of course I'd rather see people in Malibus/Impalas, Fusions/Taurus, and Avengers/Chragers, than in Accords, Camrys/Avalons, and Altimas/Maximas.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Analyst + Therapist = ...

Mein Auto: people crazy
Quote:

Of course I'd rather see people in Malibus/Impalas, Fusions/Taurus, and Avengers/Chragers, than in Accords, Camrys/Avalons, and Altimas/Maximas.

Why?

Should other countries stop buying our goods and services?

George Santayana
Old 07-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Automotive Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lao270 View Post
Why?

Should other countries stop buying our goods and services?
No, but the Japanese should stop devaluing the Yen. I've got serious issue with Japan visa vie their economic policy. I do buy their electronics though.

Don't even get me started on the economic crap Japan has to protect the home market, in almost all fields. They make the English/EU relationship look almost normal.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSIMON View Post
Why ditch the boxster S?
I don't think the majority of prospective 5 series buyers will opt for the 135.
My choices for the next Bimmer:

1. E90 M3 sedan - advantage: M bits; disadvantage: fuel economy
2. 550i sedan - advantage: space; disadvantage: fuel economy
3. 128i coupe - advantage: cost, fuel economy, 6 pot brakes; disadvantage: 2 doors, space

The turbo I-6 IMHO has been more counter-productive.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: '96 Impala SS
I was considering a used 330Ci until I heard of the 1-series coming. I never gave a thought to a new 3-series, much less a 5-series.

I'm guessing I'm in BMW's target demographic for the car.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:13 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD View Post
3. 128i coupe - advantage: cost, fuel economy, 6 pot brakes; disadvantage: 2 doors, space
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNA Press Release
M-inspired performance for the 135i Coupe

The 135i Coupe offers more performance and a striking look thanks to M-inspired components. Features include an Aero kit for additional downforce at speed, better brake cooling and enhanced aesthetics while the Sports Suspension offers higher traction and reduced body roll with 18-inch wheels and performance tires. The Sports Suspension also includes with a high-performance brake system incorporating six-piston fixed calipers on the front and two-piston fixed calipers at the rear.
Unless I'm having trouble with reading comprehension, the above paragraph from the press release makes no mention of the 128i. Saving the go-fast goodies for the top model would be consistent with what BMW has done in other model ranges.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by screechmartin View Post
I don't think the target audience for the 1 series and 5 series are the same people. At the risk of a horrible generalization, the 5 series crowd are affluent, slightly boring, burdened with children, but still in the market for an upmarket car that drives well. Why would they interested in a cheaper, sportier car with less room (and fewer doors) for children?

The 3 series crowd, on the other hand, would seem to be the same sort of folks who would buy a 1 series, particularly since the 1 series would appear to be superior in most respects to what is currently on offer in the 3 series line.

In fact, I don't understand where this car fits in to the BMW line at all. The 135i has a much larger engine than my 2004 330ci so how can they propose to sell this for less than the 330 cost me? Are there are other aspects of the car that are of inferior build quality than the 3 series that would justify the lower price?

MOS
It's simple rules of the hierarchy of model lines. They can't sell a 135i for more than a 335i, but maybe more than a bare bones 128i because of the significantly better powerplant. It's all speculation until the give us the final prices.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:26 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
I haven't kept up with the posts, but wouldn't an enthusiast consider the 135i over the 335i because it will probably weigh less and better at handling because it is smaller?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
In the Luxury Segment Cadillac needs a kick in the pants, as does Lincoln. I am very pro-US car buying (even though I also like BMW), but you can't let GM and Ford rest on anything. If they think they are losing sales (which sometimes they do), they will get off their ass and get into the game.

I think it's a bit too late for them to "get in the game" at this point.
They both are losing so much revenue each year that in order for them to compete with the likes of BMW or any other German manufacturer, they would have to drastically dump half of their car lines and maybe put money into performance oriented cars. The problem is, they make too much money from their gas guzzling SUVs to waste their time on cars that the sports car enthusiast will buy.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
I haven't kept up with the posts, but wouldn't an enthusiast consider the 135i over the 335i because it will probably weigh less and better at handling because it is smaller?
Yes and no. The enthusiast without kids would probably buy the 1 over the 3, but the enthusiast with kids might choose the opposite. There is one other rare segment of the car buying societyto consider- the enthusiast with kids who likes to keep his family ride(minivan) separate from his fun ride. I fall into the latter group, so I'll be choosing the 1.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 7 series
This has been an interesting post. You can see BMWs problem as they try to expand the brand down in size and price to recapture their "brand essence" which was originally as an importer of sport sedans. The Mini does well for the bottom line but has little to no effect for the BMW brand.

As the dollar continues an inexorable devaluation BMW needs to shore up their lower priced end of the line anyway as more people will be priced out of the 3 series. By stuffing the twin turbo in the 1 they can claim they are recapturing the 2002 days for the enthusiasts. I think that's the head fake and the real market will be as second or third cars in households with plenty of extra cash and as a high mileage diesel luxury/economy car as a daily driver. In the US BMW has moved steadily upmarket and the whole line is now expensive. The Japanese have basically caught up notwithstanding all the whining about how the Infiniti and Lexes products are inferior. The price/value relationship will likely becoming tougher for BMW to match the Japanese without moving production from Germany.

As many have said here the competition and rising fuel prices is giving many pause as to where their next car dollars will go, the 1 series could fill the bill.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:38 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanblood View Post
They both are losing so much revenue each year that in order for them to compete with the likes of BMW or any other German manufacturer, they would have to drastically dump half of their car lines and maybe put money into performance oriented cars. The problem is, they make too much money from their gas guzzling SUVs to waste their time on cars that the sports car enthusiast will buy.
You sure about that? I think the CTS is a hot seller for Cadillac.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:59 AM
Automotive Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanblood View Post
Cadillac only has one SUV (Escalade) and one CUV (SRX) the rest of the lineup is cars....
Old 07-25-2007, 04:00 AM
Automotive Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
You sure about that? I think the CTS is a hot seller for Cadillac.
Problem with the CTS is that it is the size of an E Class or a 5-Series but is priced like a C Class or a 3-Series. And it doesn't offer the goodies that the cars of the same size or price do.

The STS is a stillborn.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: '08 128i cpe ac/pw/ps/abs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nynbak View Post

...rising fuel prices is giving many pause as to where their next car dollars will go, the 1 series could fill the bill.
agreed making it shameful imo that in the u.s. there won't be (at least initiallly) a high-mileage offering i.e. a 123d for example. just as annoying to me is that the 128 will not be significantly more f.e. than the 135. i guess the lack of d.i. which the turbo motor has is responsible.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:45 AM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
If BMW has been having trouble with the weak dollar, then someone please answer this: why are they building X3, X5 and Zs in the US, instead of 3 series???

I thought the 3 series outsells all the above combined, by a comfortable margin...

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 07-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Automotive Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
If BMW has been having trouble with the weak dollar, then someone please answer this: why are they building X3, X5 and Zs in the US, instead of 3 series???

I thought the 3 series outsells all the above combined, by a comfortable margin...
I think a lot more 3er Sedans are coming from South Africa.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm a Mac

Mein Auto: 03 540iA sport
i'm delighted to see my original post has stirred such an interesting and thought-provoking thread.

like germanblood, we too plan to keep our family-mobile (currently an Ody, soon to be either a new Ody/Sienna/MDX/etc), but when I'm done with my Boxster, the question is what do I get next? While I was initially thinking 5er, I'm now thinking 135.

For background demographics, we're both college-educated 41 years olds with two boys, age 5 & 6.

Current: 2003 540iA M-sport
Previous: 07 Porsche Boxster S, 01 BMW 330i SP, 97 Acura Integra GS-R, 89 Toy Supra, 73 Datsun 240Z
Old 08-07-2007, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 ZHP Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma View Post
I took the S on a 2-year lease (kinda' like a 40-something mid-life crisis). In any event, having two cars is a PITA (I'm not driving either of them very much). Now that I've had a convert (first one in my life), I'm totally addicted to it, but if I'm only going to have one car, it needs to be something just a wee-bit more practical. I may look at a 911 next (small back seat), but a 135cic with a sub 5 second 60 (faster than my S) and a tiny back seat could be just the ticket.
Totally agree- I have a Z4M coupe and I LOVE it however I do see where I want at least a back seat to throw crap in - I have scaled down on my fast food wrappers and news papers in the Z but inthe 1er I can be a slob again! O and I can get two sets of golf clubs in it and that is important to me. hopefully I can make enough money to have them both?! - But only dreaming there- the Z4MCoupe is one of the great BMW cars IMO but I see a 135 in my future- I think it will look great in white
Old 08-08-2007, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma View Post
Before you dismiss me out-of-hand, please indulge me for a second.

Now I'm thinking I might ditch both my current cars and pick up a 135cic instead. I seriously doubt that it was BMW's intention to cannibalize the sale of a $60k car with a $40k car, but that's exactly what might happen. While neither the 6 series nor 3 series convertible appeal to me, for some peculiar reason, a 135cic gets my attention!

Your thoughts?

Errrr... I own E60 and why exactly would I want to ditch it for a small car? E60 is a family sedan which comfortably fits 4 people. Driving pleasure? E60 drives just fine. I'd rather buy Z4 as a second car and enjoy it on weekends... Same way I would not consider buying A3 or even A4 ie IS250...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm a Mac

Mein Auto: 03 540iA sport
I sold my '01 330i last week and don't miss it one bit!

I've got some time still (Porsche lease good thru 3/09), but the more we talk about it, the more my wife and I are convinced we can do without the 5er. I think we'll sell her Ody and get her a new RX or MDX, and when my lease is up, I'm really leaning toward the 135 vert. I don't see any downside to this plan.

Current: 2003 540iA M-sport
Previous: 07 Porsche Boxster S, 01 BMW 330i SP, 97 Acura Integra GS-R, 89 Toy Supra, 73 Datsun 240Z