Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

View Poll Results: 128i or 135i?
128i 24 22.64%
135i 82 77.36%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2007, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: fill in the blank
128i or 135i?

For those of you considering the 1er coupe which one do you think you're more likely to buy and why?
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ...
Exclamation

I would buy the 128i because of its NA engine and it is cheaper to buy and maintain.

What happened to the 255hp NA inline six? Marketing killed it for the turbo!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:24 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
I don't like the complexity of the 135i engine. The long motor already goes back under the cowl with no space to either side between the strut towers. The motor seems hard to service, even before two turbos are hung on the exhaust side and an oil cooler added to the front.
I don't see much difference between the 1 and the 3 series coupes. I wish they would put in a 4-cylinder and drop the price a bunch, to make the 1 series a real entry level BMW. And with a 4-cylinder motor, maybe there would be room for a dipstick.

Last edited by vintage42; 07-03-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:26 PM

I think the 135i is suppose to be a follow up tof the E30 M3, because there will be NO M1. I also think this gives BMW more credibility with the general enthusiast crowd that thinks they're only about expensive, back road bahn stormers- this car will truly be bang for the buck that hasn't been seen for some time in the BMW model lineup.

As for me: I don't need the performance of the N54(though it's truly fantastic! Ultimately more trouble than it's worth, for me), so a 128 would be preferable, but then the rub there is no M pack available without spending a crap load on BMW accessories. Might end up being a 135 afterall, because I have to have the M goodies!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
maybe there would be room for a dipstick.
Fah-get about it! The dipstick is a thing of the past, not just for BMW but the whole industry as well... in time.

I wish they'd bring 4 cylinders here too, blame your fellow Americans for that one. A 123d would be lovely, but I'd have to pack up and ship to Europe for that one.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: MCS
A four cylinder turbo-charged 1-series "ZHP" for under $30K would be great.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
128i

I've driven / autocrossed both the 328i and 335i. The 335i is faster but I prefer the more balanced 328i. The 335 has more power then I need on or off the track. I'm also concerned about heat and reliability problems reported with the turbo. I'd rather have the 260hp N52 motor...

Then there is the cost. We don't have 1 series prices yet, but the 128i is rumored to start at $25,000. The 135i is likely going to be $5000 or $6000 more.

If the 25K rumor is correct, ED invoice + $1500 puts the 128i in the same price range as a Mini Cooper S.

I'd like to see a 120d or the rumored 125d coupe offered in the US.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 PM

Europe has a crap load of new 4cylinder units available/coming. I think a 2.0 turbocharged 4 cyl is up next. We're all denied the experience becasue we just have to have the "bigger and better" everything, my fellow Americans make me sick some times.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: ...
118i coupe $22,000
Old 07-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
135i. This will be a sports coupe, not a weenie box

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 07-04-2007, 05:56 AM
Needs more cowbell

Send a message via AIM to WileECoyote
Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 2.8, 2000 328Ci
135i. If I wanted an econobox, I'd be looking at a Honda, Toyota, or Hyundai (whose quality seems to have improved a LOT recently).
Old 07-04-2007, 08:15 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
135i. If I wanted an econobox, I'd be looking at a Honda, Toyota, or Hyundai (whose quality seems to have improved a LOT recently).
Have you driven a Civic? Sure its a well made car. But its nothing like a BMW.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Needs a 'waiting for M1' option. That's probably the only 1 series I'd buy.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
128i. The reason for getting a 1 series for me is that its smaller and lighter than a 3 series. I don't need anything faster than my E46 330Ci as I won't be buying the 128i for track duty. I'd buy a 120di if it was offered in this county.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 07-04-2007, 09:21 AM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie
I'd like to see a 120d or the rumored 125d coupe offered in the US.
What you want is the shortly forthcoming 123d. The power of a small six cylinder diesel with the efficiency (50+ mpg) of the four pots.

That (or the 120d) is the only model I'd buy. I'm not going to pretend that the 1 series is somehow a revival of the 2002 (ridiculous!) or even a legitimate performance car. It's just a slightly smaller, slightly lighter, slightly cheaper E90. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm
I don't need anything faster than my E46 330Ci as I won't be buying the 128i for track duty.
My sentiments exactly.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 07-04-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
Have you driven a Civic? Sure its a well made car. But its nothing like a BMW.
Trust me, the Civic is not a great drive. And it's not quite bulletproof reliability either. Steering is too light (but almost too sharp), braking distances long, and the throttle doesn't have proper control.

I'd take a 120d, cloth seats, sport package, manual transmission, xenon headlights. Oh and a moonroof.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
Needs a 'waiting for M1' option. That's probably the only 1 series I'd buy.
Not gonna happen, hence the 135i.

Americans need to get over the past and stop hating on 4cylinder BMW's so they can bring them back, and the non badge whore-, hardcore enthusiast crowd can buy a BMW that's both frugal with top shelf performance without breaking the bank. - Yet another rant for BMW NA
Old 07-04-2007, 01:03 PM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post

I'd take a 120d, cloth seats, sport package, manual transmission, xenon headlights. Oh and a moonroof.

Me too. Except for the cloth. 'ette. Maybe real leather for the colors.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
I can't think of a single good reason to get the 128i. If history holds, it will be about $5k cheaper than the 135i, but will have less standard equipment, so the real delta will be $2500-3k. A total no-brainer for me.

The only struggle for me will be not to over-equip this car. I really want Bluetooth and Nav, but would skip the moonroof and even leather. Probably looking at:

135i
6 speed Manual
Sport
Navi
Bluetooth
Old 07-04-2007, 01:41 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
Me too. Except for the cloth. 'ette. Maybe real leather for the colors.
What, exactly, is the appeal of leatherette? I only chose it over leather because it's "free" and nigh indestructible, but were cloth available that would be the obvious choice in my book.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
What, exactly, is the appeal of leatherette? I only chose it over leather because it's "free" and nigh indestructible, but were cloth available that would be the obvious choice in my book.
free and indestructible are good.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:07 PM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
We have 5 dogs. One of them is a Great Pyrenees and we often foster Pyrenees for rescue.
Dogs shed. Rescue dogs have been known to puke in the car.

Our Miata has cloth. Now that we are carrying dogs in the car, I have to vacuum it every week. (Pyr in a miata is a hoot. I should get some photos)

Leatherette has been getting better. We are giving Sensetec a try on the e83 we've got on order. Its only a 2 year lease. If we don't like it, the next car will have leather.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek View Post
I can't think of a single good reason to get the 128i. If history holds, it will be about $5k cheaper than the 135i, but will have less standard equipment, so the real delta will be $2500-3k. A total no-brainer for me.

The only struggle for me will be not to over-equip this car. I really want Bluetooth and Nav, but would skip the moonroof and even leather. Probably looking at:

135i
6 speed Manual
Sport
Navi
Bluetooth
Pretty close to what I'd want. No navi or bluetooth (get a parrot). Gimme comfort access and heated seats (for my fiancee).
Old 07-04-2007, 06:25 PM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
135i
6-speed manual trans.
Navigation
Bluetooth
iPod/USB
Leather

Wish HUD were an option.

Have to see what's in the Sport and Premium packages.
Hopefully the boot will be large enough for guitar cases.

I'll be looking seriously in 2 years, after they've been out a year.

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 07-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Lymphoma Cancer Awareness

Mein Auto: '10 Bora
I wish we could get the diesel in CA but that probably wouldn't happen. Right after I bought my former Jetta 1.8T they released the TDI, it was out for about 6mths to maybe a year, then gone again. CA is strict on diesel cars, I cannot say which I would consider getting as I need some more data on price, plus I really prefer the hatch. When comparing the 128i to the GTI assuming they are in the same price range (data gleaned from the Web)

GTI:
Weight: 3,100 lbs
Engine: 4 Cyl Turbo 2.0L (16V DOHC )
HP: 200
Ft. lbs Torque: 207
6 spd Manual
0-62 in 6.9
Weight Ratio F/B: 63.2%/35.8%
Price: Starts at 22K - 28Kish

128i
Weight: ??
Engine: 6 Cly 3.0L
HP: 230
Ft lbs Torque: 200
0-60 ??
Weight Ratio FB: 50/50 <---- there is the real difference BMW handling
Price: 26K+? (saw that on one site)

Seems I cannot find all the data I want so it's not a very comprehensive comparison. If the 128 is priced the same then I would very likely get it over the GTI

I don't have to drive like I am in a race car everyday, It's just knowing that I can

"It's the Ulitimate Driving Machine, These things happen" - Officer after issuing a speeding ticket