Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-07-2007, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530
Convertible in hot weather

Hey all, new to the forum. Looking to buy a 335i coupe vs convertible. Currently live in chicago but will be moving to texas in the next year. How often do you actually drop the top in hot weather areas like Texas, Arizona etc? Also, was thinking of getting saphire black with red interior. I know there will be various opinios but just wanted to know what people think.
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2007, 02:04 AM
UDMx2

Mein Auto: E93 335/F15 35d
Welcome to the 'fest!!

As you noted, everyone is going to have their own opinion on your question. So here is mine:

I don't live in an extremely hot location, but it certainly hits upper 90's quite frequently where I'm at (Boulder Colorado), and over 100 once in a while. And then we also have the occasional winter day that may not get above single digits.

For me, top-down driving weather is anywhere between 40 and 90, with a little variation at both ends depending on the situation. I was driving top-down today in 95 degree temps, but I was dressed very lightly and wearing a hat to keep some sun away. I find that once it gets into the upper 90's or more, it just isn't very enjoyable. If you live someplace with heat and humidity, I suspect that temp limit will be a little bit lower.

The last time I drove through Vegas in the 'vert, I put the top up because it just wasn't any fun. I personally would not own a convertible is a location that gets extremely hot like that on a frequent basis, unless I knew I would be driving predominantly at night. (IMO, top-down driving at night is at least as enjoyable as during the day, often times more so.)

I don't know what part of Texas you're moving to, but if it were me, I would take a close look at the average hi/lo temps each month and see if it made sense. I think Texas would be borderline, but no way in Phoenix or Vegas.

Of course with the new e93 hard-top, you're buying a coupe and a convertible, right???
2002 E46 330cic Topaz/Grey/Brown (retired)
Old 07-08-2007, 04:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 540iT/2003 M3 Cab
I spent many years in Texas and now live in Central Florida, so it gets HOT.

My answer to this question is that I drive with the top down EVERY DAY.
No matter where you live, the heat isn't going to affect you all day. Your morning commute, for example, will almost always be fine for top down driving. Evenings will be fine for top down driving.

2pm may not be ok for top down driving.

The beauty is that in January, all day will be top down driving. Try that it Chicago.

Seriously, you will get a lot more use of the convertible top in Texas than almost anywhere else because the season for it is so much longer. I've had convertibles for a long time and will never go back to a coupe. Heck, I own three convertibles right now!
Old 07-08-2007, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 M5 & 328xi
i think it's up to you whether to put the top up or down. just ask yourself how often do you roll down the windows in your current vehicle.

personally i won't do top down in the summer, and for a simple reason, i can't stand the heat (28+). a car is for me to enjoy not the other way other around.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M Roadster
Not Texas, but...
Only time I put the top up is when temp gets close to triple digits at midday with blazing sun. Like driving from LA to Vegas in Summer. On the other end, I've driven to work top-down on January mornings where it's 38F with no problem - windows up, heat cranking, seats toasting, cap, driving gloves - good to go!

Oh, and you'll want to have the windblocker installed on cold days.

Mine '06 ///M Roadster, Black Sapphire on Black/Aluminum/Prem/Hot Seats/Nav/HD DICE/Clear Windblocker "Kompromisslos Aufregend"
Hers '07 335i Coupe 6MT, Black Sapphire on Saddle Brown/Light Poplar/Prem/Sport/Hot Seats/Nav/iPod 6FL
Old 07-08-2007, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M4
It also depends on your heat tolerance. It was 102 here yesterday and a bit muggy. I put the top down, and with a baseball cap and the A/C cranked up, it was barely tolerable. However, my wife didn't like it at all and up went the top. I have to admit that it was pretty hot, and we were out during the hottest part of the day. But the great thing about the E93 is that you can morph it into the perfect hardtop at any time. And it's (almost) just as much fun to drive with the top up.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:17 AM
It's all good!

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I think it all depends on your heat tolerance. For me, in Phoenix, I have no problem driving around when its 110 outside. Then again I'm wearing wool sweaters when it's 60 degrees!

The humidity changes that for me though. I am currently visiting in Philadelphia and with the humidity here I think 90 would be about my max.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:34 AM
LoneStarM3

Mein Auto: 06 M3 Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbmw View Post
Hey all, new to the forum. Looking to buy a 335i coupe vs convertible. Currently live in chicago but will be moving to texas in the next year. How often do you actually drop the top in hot weather areas like Texas, Arizona etc? Also, was thinking of getting saphire black with red interior. I know there will be various opinios but just wanted to know what people think.
From DFW area of Texas / M3 Convertible:

In Texas you can pretty go "topless" year round, though not on all days. It is not uncommon to have a frequent good days, even in Jan or Feb.

BTW: Spring for the heated seat option! Not that much extra and you will be amazed how much it extends the top-down comfort zone.

In the summer it is often best to run top up during the middle of the day. (Mainly to avoid too much direct sun - i.e., too much exposure. ) You really get a lot of use out of it in the evenings and/or early morning.

Regarding the color choice question, have not seen that combination, but it sounds nice. ( I have Carbon Black/Cinnamon and really like it.)

Re: coupe vs. convert -- Couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a car the top won't come down on -- but I was born in 1940, so maybe I'm just old-fashioned
Old 07-08-2007, 10:08 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Up here in New England, where it gets hot AND humid - top-down temps vary with humidity more than temps.

If it stays dry, upper 80's is good.

During the winter months, the occasional 40 degree day feels like summer here, so it's top down.

As has been mentioned, top down morning and evening drives are golden!! I especially love to drop the top after the sun sets low in the sky after a really hot and humid day.

Ed

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 07-08-2007, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6
Quote:
There are a lot of convertibles here in south Texas. Most keep their tops up and the a/c running during our triple digit summer days. But you get two top-down seasons: spring and fall, and it can often be 70^ in late December. Don't hesitate to buy the convertible, if that's what you want, just because you are moving to Texas.

The other consideration is the highways. Traffic on the Interstates moves muy rapido. The main roads are long, straight, studded with trucks and hot. Most convertibles go tops up on the Interstates, an ideal place for a 335ic with the folding steel roof!

re color: buy what makes your pulse race. Just park in the shade!

pkr
houston
Old 07-08-2007, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530
thanks for all the help. definitely going to go with the convertible. now I just have to get the order in.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
I have a very low tolerance for humidity. Grew up in Lubbock, Texas. So, I think in AZ I might enjoy a vert, but not in most of Texas. Drove a vert on Friday at the Susan Komen Drive for the Cure and ended up putting up the top because the humidity was too high for me. I'd rather have a sunroof.....and I do! Plus, I didn't like the wind noise at the seals with the top up.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Even with the top down on a hot day, you can get a decent blast of cold air from the A/C vents going.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: '15 M3 DCT; '14 Stingray
Florida, top down, all the time unless the car will fill with water.

Search for posts by Kimer12345 to find fotos and discussion from the first person in US to have a BS/coral E93. I'm more than pleased with my Barbera Red/Cream Beige E93, but BS/CR is the second combo I'd consider.

335i E93 is an absolutely fantastic car. The new Step is superb (coming from a long-time MT driver), Nav is spiffy, iDrive is easy to live with, love AS. Enjoy.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
Quote:
Hey all, new to the forum. Looking to buy a 335i coupe vs convertible....Also, was thinking of getting saphire black with red interior. I know there will be various opinios but just wanted to know what people think.
I ordered my 335 vert about 10 weeks ago and am picking it up tomorrow. Jet black and crimson red/black interior. You have fine taste, grasshopper!

Doug
Old 07-09-2007, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: M3
On a really hot day

I drop the top and turn up the AC. I am totally out of control.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

There are a lot of people in Texas (and everywhere else) who drive black cars. I have a name for those in Texas - CRAZY!!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA, CA Eric View Post
I drop the top and turn up the AC. I am totally out of control.
With the top down, the AC cannot overcome high humidity....at least for me.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Humidity??????????????

I live in Los Angeles. Dry heat baby.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:58 AM
UDMx2

Mein Auto: E93 335/F15 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA, CA Eric View Post
I live in Los Angeles. Dry heat baby.
When I was going to school in SoCal, my roommates would complain about how dry it was. I would complain about how humid it was.

They were from Hawaii, I was from Colorado. It's all relative to what you're used to.....
2002 E46 330cic Topaz/Grey/Brown (retired)
Old 07-10-2007, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011BMW 335i, Honda S2000
I have both a 330i sedan, and a Honda S2000 roadster. Here in the Sun Belt (Hilton Head is just north of Savannah, GA, and a bit south of Charleston, SC) one finds that top down in 90 degree heat is not so enjoyable. However, much of the Spring and Fall, and even the sunny and somewhat comfortable days you can experience in December - February are great for top down motoring. On those cooler days, you can keep the top down, and run a bit of heat for extra comfort. On many hot days, convertible owners go "California Style", i.e., top down with the ac turned on. Each to his own preferences.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscales View Post
I spent many years in Texas and now live in Central Florida, so it gets HOT.

My answer to this question is that I drive with the top down EVERY DAY.
No matter where you live, the heat isn't going to affect you all day. Your morning commute, for example, will almost always be fine for top down driving. Evenings will be fine for top down driving.

2pm may not be ok for top down driving.
That's the way I look at it too. DC can be awful in the summer. But all that means is no top down during the middle of the day. By evening it's quite nice with it down.

And also consider your drives. It's a lot worse in the heat if you're in stop and go traffic. On the other hand, if you're heading out on the highway, put the windows down and 90 degrees feels like nothing at 80mph.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 540iT/2003 M3 Cab
Best investment I ever made was ensuring that I had the Cold Weather package on my convertibles. Heated seats really extends the top down season. Sounds weird, but it really works.