Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-08-2007, 06:14 PM
playahsofly playahsofly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to playahsofly
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 528i
Bmw Engine Oil Cap Is Leaking ***** Please Help Out.

hi im new to this site and i wanted to know what is wrong with my 1997 BMW 318i... the reason why im here is that my BMW have a leak on the engine oil cap... so if your guy know the problem to this .. . please help out... and i just brought this car a days or so...

- this first thing i have done is brought a new cap for it but different brand and its still leaking. but not much as before.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:02 PM
jason_recliner's Avatar
jason_recliner jason_recliner is offline
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.
Location: Lovely Tropical Melbourne
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,181
Mein Auto: Bostongrün 1995 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by playahsofly View Post
- this first thing i have done is brought a new cap for it but different brand and its still leaking. but not much as before.
Then I guess the most obvious thing to do would be to buy a BMW one.

Welcome to the fest.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:52 PM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is online now
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,498
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Oil is leaking out around the cap on the top of the block????
Yes, replace with an OEM one regardless, BUT check your oil level. It sounds to me like you may have it overfilled, I can't imagine it really being enough pressure to be forcing its way out around the cap....definitely check the oil level.
__________________
// Chad //
// 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport // 2002 Lexus LX470 //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //



Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2007, 01:36 AM
jason_recliner's Avatar
jason_recliner jason_recliner is offline
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.
Location: Lovely Tropical Melbourne
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,181
Mein Auto: Bostongrün 1995 320i
A mate of mine was an mechanic, overseeing a handful of apprentices.

He asked one to "fill up with oil" the commodore he had just worked on, and thought nothing of it when he saw the guy wheeling in another 200 litre drum, as they do go through lots...
...until it wouldn't even crank over.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2007, 01:41 AM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is online now
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,498
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
(Dies laughing)

Niiiiiiice.....

Needless to say he wasn't his apprentice much longer? LOLOL.
__________________
// Chad //
// 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport // 2002 Lexus LX470 //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //



Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-09-2007, 02:51 AM
VTi's Avatar
VTi VTi is offline
Dale Crane is the MAN!
Location: ireland/Sweden
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 871
Send a message via AIM to VTi
Mein Auto: 95 320i / 00 520i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
A mate of mine was an mechanic, overseeing a handful of apprentices.

He asked one to "fill up with oil" the commodore he had just worked on, and thought nothing of it when he saw the guy wheeling in another 200 litre drum, as they do go through lots...
...until it wouldn't even crank over.
oh..my..god LMAO!

But yeah, check the oil level and get a new oil cap.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2007, 03:35 PM
playahsofly playahsofly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to playahsofly
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
Then I guess the most obvious thing to do would be to buy a BMW one.

Welcome to the fest.
okay todya i bought a new BMW oil cap ( the stock one) and its still leaking out from the cap... so what should i do next and how do your look at the oil level thing... could your show me please ... im now a mechanic person.

thank alots.

Last edited by playahsofly; 07-09-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-09-2007, 04:52 PM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is online now
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,498
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Do you have a manual? In it it explains how to check your oil. If you don't have a manual, you definitely need to go down to a local mechanic and have him show you how to properly check your oil level.

Anyway, here's how (but still have someone show you).
-The car needs to have been on level ground with the engine off for at least 15 minutes
-Get some paper towels handy.
-On your engine there's a dipstick for the oil, should be red
-Pull it out, and wipe the big part at the end completely clean with a paper towel
-Push it back in the tube all the way down, and pull back up again
-There will be 2 deep grooves on the dipstick about 2" apart, the oil should be in between these 2 lines. The top line means full, the bottom line means 1 liter low. It should never be lower than 1/2 way in between the lines, and never ever above the top line.
-If its above, take it to a Euro/BMW mechanic (not JiffyLube) and have him drain out some of the oil to the right level
-If its between those lines, post back here again letting us know. I'd still recommend calling a local mechanic and just asking his opinion of what is going on. Don't waste time asking the dealers, they'll just say "we don't know, we need to run a diagnostic, which will cost you one hand and all of your children".
__________________
// Chad //
// 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport // 2002 Lexus LX470 //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //



Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-2007, 05:20 PM
playahsofly playahsofly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to playahsofly
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Do you have a manual? In it it explains how to check your oil. If you don't have a manual, you definitely need to go down to a local mechanic and have him show you how to properly check your oil level.

Anyway, here's how (but still have someone show you).
-The car needs to have been on level ground with the engine off for at least 15 minutes
-Get some paper towels handy.
-On your engine there's a dipstick for the oil, should be red
-Pull it out, and wipe the big part at the end completely clean with a paper towel
-Push it back in the tube all the way down, and pull back up again
-There will be 2 deep grooves on the dipstick about 2" apart, the oil should be in between these 2 lines. The top line means full, the bottom line means 1 liter low. It should never be lower than 1/2 way in between the lines, and never ever above the top line.
-If its above, take it to a Euro/BMW mechanic (not JiffyLube) and have him drain out some of the oil to the right level
-If its between those lines, post back here again letting us know. I'd still recommend calling a local mechanic and just asking his opinion of what is going on. Don't waste time asking the dealers, they'll just say "we don't know, we need to run a diagnostic, which will cost you one hand and all of your children".
nope when i bought the car they dont give it to me ... could you help me thank alots.............. okay the oil is above the 2 line so thats mean i have to drain a little bit of oil out right???

Last edited by playahsofly; 07-09-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-2007, 01:25 AM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is online now
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,498
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Yes, if its above the top groove on the dipstick, then you've got too much in there. You're damaging your seals and will cause them to prematurely go out by doing this. You need to have some of the oil let out.
__________________
// Chad //
// 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport // 2002 Lexus LX470 //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //



Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-10-2007, 03:10 PM
playahsofly playahsofly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to playahsofly
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 528i
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Yes, if its above the top groove on the dipstick, then you've got too much in there. You're damaging your seals and will cause them to prematurely go out by doing this. You need to have some of the oil let out.
Okay, today i have the people at the firestone to release my oil to the correct level... but the oil still leaking from the cap... hmmm what other problem could it be??? btw ... the firestone worker just found out that underneat by the stick that going across from one side to the other in the middle of the stick they told me that the oil is leaking from right there , but they told me that there is no hole or any dammage there ...so i wondering what cause the oil to appear there???? even though the mechanic at the firestone doesnt know as well. anyone know the problem to it?

Last edited by playahsofly; 07-10-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-10-2007, 06:24 PM
playahsofly playahsofly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to playahsofly
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 528i
Okay, today i have the people at the firestone to release my oil to the correct level... but the oil still leaking from the cap... hmmm what other problem could it be??? btw ... the firestone worker just found out that underneat by the stick that going across from one side to the other in the middle of the stick they told me that the oil is leaking from right there , but they told me that there is no hole or any dammage there ...so i wondering what cause the oil to appear there???? even though the mechanic at the firestone doesnt know as well. anyone know the problem to it?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-10-2007, 08:32 PM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is online now
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,498
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
People at Firestone will have no idea how to fix it. Take it by here and ask for an opinion from them. http://www.t-g-a.com/index.html
Yeah, it'll probably cost money. Sorry.

Also, I have no idea what stick you're talking about. Can you post a picture of it and show us where it is?
__________________
// Chad //
// 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport // 2002 Lexus LX470 //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //



Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-11-2007, 05:23 PM
playahsofly playahsofly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to playahsofly
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
People at Firestone will have no idea how to fix it. Take it by here and ask for an opinion from them. http://www.t-g-a.com/index.html
Yeah, it'll probably cost money. Sorry.

Also, I have no idea what stick you're talking about. Can you post a picture of it and show us where it is?
,okay here is the pic of the stick that i mention earlier.... on the middle of the stick it have engine oil on it... so i won't know what the oil is leaking from...





Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-11-2007, 06:26 PM
playahsofly playahsofly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to playahsofly
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 528i
PLEASE HELPP I POSTED THE PIC of an oil that leak from the bottom of the car..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-12-2007, 12:15 AM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is online now
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,498
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Could be any number of things. Like I said, you need to take it by a mechanic and get them to do a full diagnosis if you wanna know what's causing it. It's not a big deal though if its just a little bit.
__________________
// Chad //
// 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport // 2002 Lexus LX470 //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //



Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms