Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-23-2007, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumBMW View Post
Even though you and I agree and it seems so obvious to us, there are a lot of stupid people with way too much cash.
well if they didnt exist how would we ever get our used cars without them being off lease (given that last time i check a BMW lease was not exactly cheap..)
Old 08-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to Admiral-Awesome
Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 325is
F U C K you previous owner for being such an idiot!!! By idiot I mean whoever owned the car first appears to have ran across a concrete warning barrier or something, because there is light scrape damage to my corner trim and wheel well edges on the fender, with matching scrapes on the drivers side mirror. Not to mention the rippled dent and the deep dent on the passenger rear which is reinforced.

Other than that the car it TIP TOP!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 325i and 1991 535i
F U C K you mister previous owner who doesnt know how to change sparkplugs pulled the plugs from fy 535i yesterday and they were the original plugs to be honest I dont know how the car still ran lol
Old 08-25-2007, 03:18 AM
Built for Comfort.

Mein Auto: E39 525i Auto Sport
Previous owner of my E30 did no wrong and really looked after the car. Hats off to them.

The previous owner of my 5 was a smoker and some of the interior is a tad tatty but the rest of the car is tidy. I personally think that smoking in cars should be banned, luckily there is no visual smoke damage in my car but it still has a faint smokey smell.

I dont usually buy the first car I see (with the exception of my E30) it took me around 7-8 months to find the right 5. I looked at E34s and some E39s and saw some right sheds. I'd rather wait a year or two to find the right car rather than buy a dog.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: '95 325i auto
My E36 experience began 8 years ago with the hairs on the back of my neck standing up as I worried about all the things I've read on this thread. My car had 45K miles on it and was located outside a very small real estate office in an apartment complex in a seedy section of Fort Lauderdale. The original owner was the father of the owner who had it now but the story was he'd only had it a short time but didn't have time to use it so was selling it. All this from his "secretary" who smoked and had really bad teeth, contributing to the general image of seediness. The young owner was "out of town" so everything had to be done via the secretary or through the mail with a 3 or 4 day delay. It just seemed fishy to me. But the price was good and the overall condition seemed real nice so I bought it anyway. I immediately had to replace the brake pads and tires and a few front end parts during the alignment but I expected that before buying. The interior was immaculate except for a small cigarette burn on the left front pillar so I stared at that as long as I could stand it before ordering a replacement. But now I've got 110K on it and since then have only had the requisite problems with the water pump (yup, it's an E36) and the brake light warning. So, although we never met, I apologize to the previous owner for doubting you so much. Your old car has been GREAT, thanks!
Old 08-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Evil Do'er

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328i
Wow boys i started this thread like two months ago im on military training now and i just checked back and she's still going looks like the previous owners are big pricks these days.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:23 PM
I am THE DECIDER!

Mein Auto: 05 pt cruiser
heres another one

F**K YOU MR PREVIOUS OWNERS for not replacing any suspension parts! its a 92 and it still has the shocks/struts/springs from the factory! im just waiting for my eibach springs to arrive then the suspension will be as good as new!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:44 AM
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.

Mein Auto: Bostongrün 1995 320i
Ok, I have a new one to add to my previous list.

Inspired by the amazing job by a1sas in http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217614, I set out to clean my leather seats on the weekend.

Started with the rear seats cos they weren't in properly. (Way easier outside the car). Bit of water, just one drop of "moisturising hand cleaner" detergent in the whole bucket, regular nail brush, gentle scrub in circles. Came up very nice. I'll try to post pics one day.

Eventually I got to the front seats. These naturally experience a little more wear.
But F*** YOU MISS PREVIOUS OWNER for thinking it would be a good idea to use a water based grey paint on leather.

Yeah... No-one will ever know! Get wet and it's paint everywhere. Stupid F***ing F***er
Old 09-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Monacoblau mit beige

Mein Auto: '07 E92 330i Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTi View Post
This guy must have owned both B/\/\W's and mine.....

Hahahah, I only just saw this pic, didn't see it at the time you posted!

18" alloys - Sport seats - "Professional" Navigation - Bluetooth - DAB tuner - Extended interior light package - PDC
Heated front seats - Beige Dakota leather - Dark grey poplar trim - Anthracite headliner - Advanced loudspeaker system

Old 09-11-2007, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Sport
FCUK Mr previous owner for not fixing the ignition lock and the electric windows that only go up half the time

And double FCUK you for curbing my beautiful BBS split rims!

But thank you for spending £1500 ($3000 approx)on getting the wishbones and bushes replaced 5kmiles before i bought it! And thank you for the fully stamped up service history!

1998, 328i Sport Individual, Metalic Madeira Violet, Beige Leather Interior, Gruppe M rep, mongoose system, Gaz coilys, E31 Style 5's, etc.........
Old 09-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Vert Owners Do It Topless

Mein Auto: 1995 320i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
i'm sure there are people here who own a car new and drive it to the ground
I don't think so Buddy. The Guys and GAL on this Fest are all passionate about their cars - that is why they bother to spend all their lives on it

I would never buy a new car mainly because of the rapid depreciation in value during the first few years of its existence. Just say, for argument's sake you lose a few thousand pounds/dollars etc in depreciation, you could spend less than this on repairs/renewals on a good second hand car and still be quids in.

But as so rightly has been said previously, this does not apply to us Guys as there is no such thing as a new E36

In response to the original thread, my car wasn't too bad. Yes it was dirty and the back window was shot and needed replacement and I had to have a small dent repaired but apart from that she was fine. Her previous 3 owners must have looked after her somewhat as I have not had any problems whatsover with her since I bought her 2 years ago
E36 320i Convertible - Superchipped - K&N Apollo CAI - Green Stuff Pads - NGK Iridium IX plugs - Pioneer MP3 Headunit - JL Audio Kick Panel Speaker Pods - Wind Deflector - M3 Style Spoiler. 18" Bridgestone 225/40/R18. M Sport type Alloys as fitted on new E90. Alloy Billet Strut Brace, M3 type front bumper, M3 type rear Diffuser. Royal Purple. Hard Top.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
You forgot to tell them about the TERRIBLE addition to the rear of the car mum!!

Edirty6 for life
Old 09-12-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
Yeah absolutely, you Really Bad Dirty Hairy Smelly ex BMW driver.
That is sooooo funny
E36 320i Convertible - Superchipped - K&N Apollo CAI - Green Stuff Pads - NGK Iridium IX plugs - Pioneer MP3 Headunit - JL Audio Kick Panel Speaker Pods - Wind Deflector - M3 Style Spoiler. 18" Bridgestone 225/40/R18. M Sport type Alloys as fitted on new E90. Alloy Billet Strut Brace, M3 type front bumper, M3 type rear Diffuser. Royal Purple. Hard Top.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate_copy View Post
You forgot to tell them about the TERRIBLE addition to the rear of the car mum!!
Oh yeah - forgot that. Guess what 'mod' was added to the back of my baby???

a bl00dy TOW BAR !!!! - How funny is that - a tow bar on a vert

Let me tell you, that came off right away. Well not straight away - hubby's eyes lit up when he saw that - his brain started racing 20 to the dozen as to what he could tow with my car. Needless to say, he used it to move a 28 foot boat trailer [without the boat I may add] from the harbour to a field. She did it with no problem at all but when the car came back covered in mud that was the last straw

Hence IMMEDIATE removal of tow bar. Anyone want to buy a tow bar

The previous owner had it fitted as he had a jet ski. So let's make a predication on this one - if he had kept the car for much longer I think it would have wrecked it as cars and salt water do not really mix. Thankfully this has not been the case.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 PM
1-5-3-6-2-4 sweet 325i

Mein Auto: '93 325i
F U C K you previous owner for putting the wrong front bumper on

-=E-Dirty6=--=Click my Siggy=- Signature created by Eclipse
Old 09-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
F U C K you mr. previous pwn3r, for pwning my headliner with cigarette burns and for denting the hood and fender and never getting them fixed. And f*ck you for... ok thats about it. But still, that headliner thing cost me about 8 hours of my life ON MY DAY OFF! Bastard..
Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Wanting a 128i....

Mein Auto: (2) E36's and a E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by B/\/\W View Post
My previous owner

- Never oiled the doors, and they were almost seized up when I got the car
- Didn't change the oil for 15 thousand miles and used junk oil in the past
- Drove for thousands of miles on a tyre running at only 15 PSI
- Used **** fuel
- Allowed the car to become incredibly scratched and keyed
- Overfilled brake fluid reservoir
- Never fixed stone chips
- Never waxed, never washed
- Never sorted out the misted up headlights
- Drove around with faulty stop light switch

That's what I can think of, so

F U C K you Mr Really Bad BMW driver In the name of Budweiser, We don't salute you!
I've got to play devil's advocate here, so why the heck did you buy that car anyway? Seems to me that just buying a nicer BMW keeps a lot of those problems at bay. I like the previous owners of my Bimmers...hence why I chose to buy them over turds I've looked at.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:30 AM
Still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
I've got to play devil's advocate here, so why the heck did you buy that car anyway? Seems to me that just buying a nicer BMW keeps a lot of those problems at bay. I like the previous owners of my Bimmers...hence why I chose to buy them over turds I've looked at.
I was just thinking the same!!

Edirty6 for life
Old 09-14-2007, 02:50 AM
Monacoblau mit beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
Haha, those problems were not mechanical. The gearbox, differential and engine seemed very good for the mileage and that's what counts. I sorted most of those problems out after buying it as they were mostly cosmetic...

The previous owner was a nerdy guy studying law, I don't think he drove it hard, but he certainly didn't look after it either! He sold me his 318i because he had bought a '02 740i.

18" alloys - Sport seats - "Professional" Navigation - Bluetooth - DAB tuner - Extended interior light package - PDC
Heated front seats - Beige Dakota leather - Dark grey poplar trim - Anthracite headliner - Advanced loudspeaker system

Last edited by B/\/\W; 09-14-2007 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:15 AM

Mein Auto: 320I rust edition
i pity the poor ****er who buys myn off me i have totally ****ed it. fell off the roof dancing about pissed and scratched the bonnet with a beer can. never washed it this year. let the interior go to ****. jumped hump back bridges and ****ed up a few bits of running gear, although i replaced the ball joints. ragged the engine to **** and generally abused my car.
HA HA **** you next owner hahaha.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanch View Post
i pity the poor ****er who buys myn off me i have totally ****ed it. fell off the roof dancing about pissed and scratched the bonnet with a beer can. never washed it this year. let the interior go to ****. jumped hump back bridges and ****ed up a few bits of running gear, although i replaced the ball joints. ragged the engine to **** and generally abused my car.
HA HA **** you next owner hahaha.
This is obviously a joke, yes

IF it isn't and what you have boasted about is true then I do not really see why you are on this Forum amongst purists and BMW lovers

What do you other guys think - is he joking or what
Old 09-14-2007, 03:30 AM
Still here

I HOPE he is joking

Edirty6 for life
Old 09-14-2007, 04:58 AM
Monacoblau mit beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate_copy View Post
I HOPE he is joking
I don't think he's joking...

Last edited by B/\/\W; 09-14-2007 at 05:16 AM. Reason: to keep Pirate happy
Old 09-14-2007, 05:07 AM
Still here

Edirty6 for life
Old 09-14-2007, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 1997, E36, 318is
It took me 3 months 2 find my old E30 and I had to go to Kent 4 it (thats a 10hr round trip from where I liv!) and that lasted me a loyal 3yrs without any major probs

However, wen i wa lookin' 4 an E36 several months ago, I went through the autotrader and found a sweet '97 318is for sale in Manchester at a trade place

Wen I got there, the 'trade' wa a hand car wash run by poles......

The cars bonnet wa f@ked up like it had been in a slow speed collision, the odometer wa missin' the lower half of the LEDs, the ignition wa loose and took a few turns to get it started - u get the idea!!

Some ppl hav no idea about car maintenance - they shud b shot or worse, forced to drive Fords!!

Oh, and 2 add 2 the post, the previous owner didn't tell me about the blowing back box but I luckilly spotted it and he knocked me £200 off..... damn it, I'm in the wrong thread!

E36 1997 318is M44B19

Last edited by buster318is; 09-14-2007 at 06:07 AM.