Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 07-12-2007, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: '00 325i SE Convertible
01 325ci cabriolet, audio upgrade spec, what do u think?

Hey all.
OK I have finally gathered all the components for my audio upgrade and wondered if anyone would like to post tips on the install or might have experience with some of the gear.

I'm not installing myself but i'll be watching the installer closely. I guess i should pick up a bag of panel clips before hand :-)

Head Unit: Stock

Amp: EYEBRID 2Y150
4 Ohm mono 2X150w
2 Ohm mono 2x250w
> 95db
http://www.eyebrid.com/

Sub:
InPhase 10" Enclosed
http://www.inphaseaudio.co.uk/xt-ran...products_id=56

Speakers:
Front: Orion Component HCCA 6.2
Rear: Orion Component C Series C2.52

Also the DICE ipod adapter.

Would especially like any info from fellow Cabriolet owners in realtion to the rear Arm rest (or, to be more precise, where a coupe arm rest would normally be). This peice of the seat pops out via a clip at the top. Had a poke around, it seems there is a black plastic "bin" behind the Seat part, wondering if I can take this out to allow for more base to enter the cabin. The bin does have vents on either side, so, if it's difficult to remove, simply taking the carpet section out from the truck (boot) that lines the rear of the trunk may suffice?

Maybe this is designed to be removed for ski storage? But i could see any release catches.

Any/all tips appreciated.

Cheers
Grif
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2007, 10:04 AM

OK, after some consultation with my installer. I have decided to go all out (in my book...and pocket)

HU: Stock
Amp1: Orion HP4800 4way
Speakers: Speakers:
Front: Orion Component HCCA 6.2
Rear: Orion Component C Series C2.52

Amp2 HDCCA 1200
Sub
Orion HP 10D4
10 Inch 1000 Watt 4 Ohm Subwoofer

Totally killed my budget!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 ImolaRot M3 Cabrio
Any particular reason you're keeping the stock HU? Other than the fact that most decks have far, far too much bling these days?

Your sub enclosure link is no good, as well. Ever considered just going with a 10" IB sub in that ski pass opening?

Last edited by SammyXp; 07-20-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:23 AM

OK.
Had all the Orion gear installed over 2 weeks ago and all i can say is WOW!!!!

Had a specially measured sealed box constructed that fits perfectly behind the rear seat with the 10" Orion Sub facing the Ski Port. Simply removed a plastic plate that was there originally.

The carpet was reorganised to camouflage the box and the two amps are mounted onto the rear of the box.

The front component Orion HCCA's are fully stealth and sound amazing.

The rear ones had to use the Orion speaker grills which, infact, looks great. I don't have much of a presence in the rear, just there as fillers really. They pull some of the mid behind the head which is nice.

In realtion to the sub. You can actually hear it fine with the rear centre storage compartment fitted, but it kinda dies at low volumes. Removing this section solves this and the sound is excellent. So, what I'm going to do is have a chrome port fitted into the storage compartment piece. maybe 3-4" in diameter. This should allow enough air to pass while the storage compartment section of the seat is in place. It'll also look great imho.

I found that it takes a good while to tune the system. Fiddling with the Hz range and gain on the sub amp and also fiddling with the same on the 4 channel amp.

I started by listening to the front components only initially to get them balanced, then added the rears and finally added the sub. Having never had audio gear like this before it took me a while to figure out the effect gain, LPV (frequency) and the amps "intellibase" levels have on the sound.

I have been using all types of music to get what I feel is optimum range across the board and am still tweaking. Guess I will be for a while too:-)

It's pretty difficult to get the correct setup for various types of music recorded with varying dynamic ranges, but all in all i'm happy now.

I'd say i lost about 10-12 " of boot "trunk" space but that's the price you pay! :-)

I'll post some pics when i get a chance

Any advice on tuning please let me know,

Cheers
Grif
Old 08-09-2007, 10:24 AM

keeping the HU purely for asthetic reasons, can't stand aftermarket HU's in the e46, sorry! :-)