Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-20-2007, 12:05 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
HowTo Instructions: Rewire Angel Eyes w/o Parking Lights

Ok, if you followed the directions from your retailer on installing your angel eyes, you most likely have them tied into to your parking lights. I did at first and it drove me nuts, so here's how to get them on their own. Pretty simple, just about an hour, more time consuming than difficult.

So, here's what you end up with in the end: Angel Eyes work all the time in the Acc, Run, and Start position, completely on their own with no other lights, and without you doing anything.

I'll apologize right now for the terrible pictures (camera phone), and the lack of many pictures and usefulness of them. I wasn't getting my phone dirty for pictures...sorry. Lol. Most of it is easy enough without pictures, anyway.

What you need:
-2 wire taps
-3 wire connectors
-Torx #10 with long extension
-Something long to grab the 2 screws by the firewall (you'll see what I mean, just trust me )
-Philips Screwdriver
-Crimper/Stripper
-Knife/scissors
-Electrical Tape
-Needlenose pliers are helpful in many instances
-Wrech to disconnect the battery
-Plenty of extra wire

To start off, disconnect your battery, since you'll be playing in the fuse box.
Next, open the fuse box by unscrewing the 4 Torx screws holding it in. 2 are towards the front and easy, the 2 by the firewall are a PITA.

Here they are:

Those are very difficult to remove at the back of the box, since they're right up against the firewall and its hard to grab them without something else to help you.

Now, unscrew the 2 big circular connections on the side of the box and open up the fuse box and marvel at the mess of wire. Lift the top of it up and towards the middle of the engine as much as possible, which isn't much.

Find the Green & Violet wire, which is what you will be tapping in to. This is fuse 46, you can look up my logic in choosing it in the Exterior Lighting Wiring Diagram in the Bentley's. Its a 15A fuse so it can handle the extra usage, and is hot when you want it.

Now, strip enough insulation (a knife works best here) off the Grn/Vio wire to tap into it. Go ahead and grab a section of wire and run it up to your left headlight and tape it to the angel eye wire and to the stripped section, connect your battery, and be sure: a) the angel's are off when the key is out, and; b)they're on with the key in Acc and Run. Just something cheesy like this:

Oh, as a reference, the new wire that I'm adding for these is red, so you can follow it in the pictures easily.
If its good, then you can move on to actually connecting it all up the right way.
First, remove the piece of plastic that covers the radiator, then, start at the passenger side. Undo your angel eye lead from the parking lights if they're connected, and snip the parking light wire and use a connector to connect it better, since it will have been damaged some when you tapped it previously. Use another connector to connect it to your length of wire, long enough to return to th fusebox. Cover both connections in Electrical Tape.

Now, run this length of wire up to the wires wrapped in electrical tape that runs in front of the radiator underneath the metal. Run your wire through the clips that hold the rest of the wires to the frame. (Yes, mine are broken)

Continue to follow this set of wires past the drivers side headlight. Pause here and get the lead for the angel eyes on the drivers side and tap it into your wire here. Snip and connect the parking light wire as on the other side. Again, cover all connections in electrical tape.

Now, just run your wire all the way back to your fusebox, wrapping along with the bunch of wires you can see just behind the red wire occasionally. Just follow this bunch of wires all the way back to the fusebox. Tap the Grn/Vio wire you stripped earlier, and wrap in electrical tape. Now, slip your wire into the rubber seal that the bunch of wires we talked about earlier goes through.
Go through your wiring and make sure your new wire is wrapped tightly against the rest of the OEM wiring and perfectly tight and away from everything and all your connections are taped off.

Screw your fusebox back together (have fun), screw the 2 circular connectors by the fusebox back on, connect your battery, and admire your work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana

Last edited by E36 Phantom; 07-20-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-20-2007, 03:24 AM
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.

Mein Auto: Bostongrün 1995 320i
Quote:
you most likely have them tied into to your parking lights. I did at first and it drove me nuts, so here's how to get them on their own
Personal choice of course. I want to get two pair of these puppies and wire them in with the parkers.

Well done on compiling the document Phant. And I love your end result.

Next task: Find some space in that garage for a car.

Last edited by jason_recliner; 07-20-2007 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:36 AM
BMW FETISH!!!

Send a message via MSN to DominguesE30
Mein Auto: `97 BMW 318is
awsome, mine will be replacing the parkers. I dont know if they are legal here in aus soo if i need to switch them off i can

Beeeeeeeee Eeeeem Double-YOU!!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:03 AM
M status achieved!

Mein Auto: 94 325i, 98 Protege
Great write up. I was going to tackle the task of finding a wire to tap into this weekend as I want my angel eyes on all the time like that. Thanks for saving me a whole bunch of headache!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Resident Pilot

Mein Auto: BMW Not Found
Yeah, good job on the write-up.

1993 325is - Frigg - Grounded
2001 Z3 2.5 - Iđunn - Active
Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Bad Rabbit

Mein Auto: '97 328is
Looks great!

Not sure yet if I want to go the angel eye route, but if I do, I'll definately go back to this thread!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:38 AM
<-NIKi

Send a message via AIM to ianiac Send a message via Yahoo to ianiac
Mein Auto: E36 M3
Nice work. I'll do that on my next e36.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 AM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
Next task: Find some space in that garage for a car.

That garage has been like that all my life. Its my grandparent's, not mine. I do most car work there cuz they have all the good tools and expertise and I don't have hardly any tools. Believe it or not they actually squeeze their Lexus LS in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonf860 View Post
Great write up. I was going to tackle the task of finding a wire to tap into this weekend as I want my angel eyes on all the time like that. Thanks for saving me a whole bunch of headache!
Glad it helped. I wish I had more + better pictures, but that phone is so crappy in bad lighting and after a point I wasn't gonna touch my phone anymore and get it dirty.
BTW, I got lucky for once in my life. The Grn/Vio wire you tap in the fusebox is actually right there on the far left of the box, very easy to get to. My usual luck should have dictated that it would be smack in the middle of the mess of wires

Good luck!

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 07-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 135i
nice writeup. so you can't turn off your angels at all anymore except with the key in the off position? and do the parking lights still work when you switch them on on the dash?
Old 07-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I Am The Machine

Yes, exactly, which is perfectly fine with me. It would be easy enough to run the wire from the fusebox to the passenger compartment and put a switch on the line though.

All other lights work exactly the way they did when the car rolled off the line.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 06-29-2008, 07:06 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I finally bought some DEPOs with HID and angel eyes, hopefully coming tomorrow. I was hoping I could rewire the light switch inside so that:

lighting behaves like stock when the switch is off
with switch in the parking light position, ONLY ANGELS turn on
with switch in the headlamps position, headlamps, angels, and parking lights turn on

any idea how to do that?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:51 AM

To do that, you just need to disconnect the gray parking light wire from the gray parking circuit, and connect it to the low beam circuit which I believe is yellow - or primarily yellow.

The angels will still connect to the gray parker circuit.

Scotch-lock type connectors are your best friend here for easy low current connections that can easily be reverted.

"The Reclinermobile" - 1995 320i Boston Green
A word on our sponsors: Iridium sparks thanks to NGK. Wheels will shortly be dressed once again by Yokohama C-Drive. Road is lit by Eagle-Eye 6000K HID, supplemented by 7000K CCFL Angel eyes. HB/Fog have selected to go with Philips 4000K BlueVision. Engine parts choose to slip with Castrol's 20-50 GTX2 dinosaur slime, renewed every 10,000km.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 AM

So basically the angels replace the parking lights completely and are on their own circuit, while the parking lots hog with the low beams? Is the amperage increase okay and will I need a different fuse? (the lows will also be converted to HIDs, mind you)

thanks.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:15 PM

Yeah, that will be fine. You're only talking a couple of watts and the HID's are lower power than halogen anyway.

"The Reclinermobile" - 1995 320i Boston Green
A word on our sponsors: Iridium sparks thanks to NGK. Wheels will shortly be dressed once again by Yokohama C-Drive. Road is lit by Eagle-Eye 6000K HID, supplemented by 7000K CCFL Angel eyes. HB/Fog have selected to go with Philips 4000K BlueVision. Engine parts choose to slip with Castrol's 20-50 GTX2 dinosaur slime, renewed every 10,000km.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:23 PM
blank

Mein Auto: 07 e92 335i
you can always take a piece of electrical tape and put it over one of the terminals on the parking light BULB. the lights still function as turn signals, but dont come on when the angels are on. doesn't really answer or solve the problem talon asked about, but it works and is easier than cutting wires lol
Old 07-01-2008, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out if my damn headlights EVER come...
Old 07-18-2008, 11:37 AM

Got everything installed and did the electrical tape mod for my angel eyes. But i realized that i want the parking lights on at night with the low beams. i will try what jason said, but i also noticed the parking light switch turns on the tail lights! how do i wire THOSE to the low beam circuit as well? or will relocating the corners to the low beams handle the tails as well?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 328i Convertible
How was the overall install? I'm thinking about ordering a light package and was wondering if putting them in is as easy as the sellers say it is.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:13 PM

Firstly, buy from DDM Tuning if you want the best deal. I got DEPO gen IV, Prolumen 55W HIDs, predator chromium, all the plug and play harnesses, clear corners with stealth bulbs (old corners broke), clear lamin-x, and high bulbs...angel eyes and HIDs preinstalled. just had to mount ballasts and figure out the external pin wiring since they didnt come with directions and the site diagram was wrong. all of that for $340 taxed and shipped!!!! I dare you to find that deal for less than $600-700. Only problem with DDM was the 3 week processing time (they were short on HIDs, had a bajillion orders, and had to install my angel eyes and HIDs for me). Was worth it though.

The best thing about the install is that if you request preinstalled options everything is more or less plug and play except for the angel eye wire that you splice into whatever circuit you want. the hard part is headlamp fitment. they're much bigger than the stockers and it can be a pain to use the adjustment screws to get them to sit JUST right flush with the hood and nose panel. one problem i had is that my corners don't sit totally flush against the fender. will try to figure out something to fix that. since the headlights are much bigger, you have to get ready to be creative. if you have a CAI, there might be fitment issues but most people get by. i have a cosmos cai that goes into the bumper and it is a tight squeeze. i only got it in there by loosening the headlight first. its VERY tight but it works. i will probably need to loosen the headlight to take the filter out. also, if you relocated that horn to the cruise control bracket it will have to sit on the rear part, not the front part.

on the passenger side the alarm siren will need to be tweaked. at first i thought it couldnt mount at all and had no idea what to do with it but i realized if you just remount its bracket arm 90 degrees from the original position you can mount the alarm EASILY with plenty of space. the siren just points down instead of horizontally, but no biggie.

useful materials:

- strong velcro with good adhesive backing (for mounting ballasts on bumper support)
- zip ties (cleaning up wiring)
- electrical tape (sealing up connections and such)
- wire taps (in case the ones they give you break or something)
- 19mm wrench
- screwdriver
- ratcheting wrench
- standard small sockets

it can be done in one night but it took me two due to various wiring and fitment issues i had without directions. when i get home from work i will post the headlight pin orientation i found that worked, since the DDM diagrams were completely wrong for me.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. I plan to order nearly everything you mentioned plus the clear tail lights from DDM. Really looking forward to it.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:20 PM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon328 View Post
Got everything installed and did the electrical tape mod for my angel eyes. But i realized that i want the parking lights on at night with the low beams. i will try what jason said, but i also noticed the parking light switch turns on the tail lights! how do i wire THOSE to the low beam circuit as well? or will relocating the corners to the low beams handle the tails as well?
Dude, did you even read my writeup? Lol.

That's the same problem I solved. I didn't want the tails and parking lights on during the day with the angel eyes, but I did want them on at night. No goofy electrical tape or stuff. If you follow this write up you'll have exactly what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawpov View Post
How was the overall install? I'm thinking about ordering a light package and was wondering if putting them in is as easy as the sellers say it is.
I would have them pre-installed. Wiring them up is easy, but I wouldn't want to deal with installing the rings in the headlights.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 07-19-2008, 08:17 PM

Yeah I've read it, but I'd rather have a switch to turn it on and off; that's why I preferred to have it on that parking light knob.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:00 AM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon328 View Post
Yeah I've read it, but I'd rather have a switch to turn it on and off; that's why I preferred to have it on that parking light knob.
Simple. Wire in an inline switch. After the tap from the fuse, have the wire run into the cabin through one of the grommets in the firewall. I recommend getting the Euro foglight switch, and popping that in. Wire the angels to the rear fog button on the Euro fog switch. If you leave the switch on, they come on when the car comes on. If you turn it off, the angels go off.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 07-20-2008, 11:18 AM

hmm interesting idea! will look into it
Old 07-20-2008, 12:42 PM

The guy at DDM told me to wire the angel eyes to the windshield washer motor. Is that what you've done, phantom?

'96 328i Convertible, Montreal Blue, 5 speed