Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Millertimebmw Millertimebmw is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 328ic
Smile NEW DIY VIDEO Series -1st Episode "The $900 E-36 Race Car Build"

You Guys Requested the Motor Review So Here It Is!
Part #6


Part #5


PART #4



PART #3






NEW DIY VIDEO Series -1st Episode "The $900 E-36 Race Car Build"

Hello Guys

I'm new here but wanted to pass along my new video.

I'm always looking for New Projects and DIY people to help out in my travels.

I hope you Enjoy!

[video=youtube_share;rkw4fMgajDs]

Last edited by Millertimebmw; 02-14-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 AM
tim330i's Avatar
tim330i tim330i is offline
Administrator
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 7,639
Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I moved your thread to the E36 3 series forum, you will get more interest in here.

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Millertimebmw Millertimebmw is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
I moved your thread to the E36 3 series forum, you will get more interest in here.

Tim
Thanks so much Tim!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2015, 09:49 AM
Millertimebmw Millertimebmw is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 328ic
Bump for a New Video !

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2015, 03:02 PM
hnaz hnaz is offline
BMW CCA Member
Location: Communist Republic of Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,032
Mein Auto: 128i M, M3, 325is M-Tech
How about replacing a heater core?
__________________
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2015, 03:10 PM
Millertimebmw Millertimebmw is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
How about replacing a heater core?
Maryland isn't too far
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-16-2015, 07:06 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is online now
Warm Leatherette
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20,209
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Can you please confirm that you are not affiliated with FCP Euro or receive compensation from them as a result of producing this video?
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Millertimebmw Millertimebmw is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Can you please confirm that you are not affiliated with FCP Euro or receive compensation from them as a result of producing this video?
I am 100% independent. If you can find cheaper parts, LET ME KNOW!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-19-2015, 04:03 PM
bliger7gz's Avatar
bliger7gz bliger7gz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Plainfield, NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 829
Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325is
Oh man someone had the same idea as me to dye the carpet

I haven't done it tho, so I gotta ask, why the vinegar? I remember my mom used this type of dye years ago so I'm not too familiar with it.
__________________

1994 BMW 325is "Feldt" w/Turner Motorsports chip
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-19-2015, 05:14 PM
Millertimebmw Millertimebmw is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliger7gz View Post
Oh man someone had the same idea as me to dye the carpet

I haven't done it tho, so I gotta ask, why the vinegar? I remember my mom used this type of dye years ago so I'm not too familiar with it.
Haha, I was amazed how well it came out to be honest.

As for the vinegar, it calls for either vinegar for synthetic material or water for Wool, etc.

NOTE: USE LIQUID RIT DYE, the powder (box) stuff is tough to dissolve and will clog the spray nozzle.

Good LUCK! ! !
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-19-2015, 05:46 PM
bliger7gz's Avatar
bliger7gz bliger7gz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Plainfield, NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 829
Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325is
Oh got it, thanks. Probably will do this winter as I have some time to kill.
__________________

1994 BMW 325is "Feldt" w/Turner Motorsports chip
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,880
Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
I like the dye job on the carpet, but why a carpet in a race car???
__________________
Quotes to live by:
guessing gets expensive...drivinfaster
nothing is more expensive than a cheap BMW...c4harpe13
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is online now
Warm Leatherette
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20,209
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
"Race car" is a loosely defined term. If this was a dedicated track car, the back seats wouldn't have been put back in, either.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-20-2015, 06:15 AM
hnaz hnaz is offline
BMW CCA Member
Location: Communist Republic of Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,032
Mein Auto: 128i M, M3, 325is M-Tech
Hey OP, thanks for the videos and the response (where are you located when you said MD is not too far?). But to answer your question about cheaper prices, you can try PelicanParts.com, AutohausAZ, and ECS Tuning as well. You will find that sometimes prices differ as much as $80 between them. Turner Motorsports and especially Bavarian Auto are higher priced (namely because of the state they are HQ'ed in and the taxes they have to pay in those states).

But one thing for sure is the German Car community (except in many cases for VW and Audi) is blessed to have venders that have some of the best services ever. You really can't go wrong, even if you pay higher prices for parts at Bavarian Auto. You still get amazing service and prompt shipping, bar none.
__________________
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-20-2015, 09:45 AM
Millertimebmw Millertimebmw is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
Hey OP, thanks for the videos and the response (where are you located when you said MD is not too far?). But to answer your question about cheaper prices, you can try PelicanParts.com, AutohausAZ, and ECS Tuning as well. You will find that sometimes prices differ as much as $80 between them. Turner Motorsports and especially Bavarian Auto are higher priced (namely because of the state they are HQ'ed in and the taxes they have to pay in those states).

But one thing for sure is the German Car community (except in many cases for VW and Audi) is blessed to have venders that have some of the best services ever. You really can't go wrong, even if you pay higher prices for parts at Bavarian Auto. You still get amazing service and prompt shipping, bar none.
Totally agree, I'm near BavAuto here in New Hampshire. No sales tax is nice, but as you said I'm sure corporate taxes are nothing to blink at. And I agree, I've tried working on domestics and it almost seems BMW's are easier due to the community and everyones willingness to help one another.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Millertimebmw Millertimebmw is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
I like the dye job on the carpet, but why a carpet in a race car???
It was my thought to have a car to take to any and all racing events, crash or break and not be too worried, and be able to daily drive in the meantime too.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-20-2015, 02:11 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is online now
Warm Leatherette
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20,209
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertimebmw View Post
It was my thought to have a car to take to any and all racing events, crash or break and not be too worried, and be able to daily drive in the meantime too.
I don't know how much actual racing you'll be able to do with that philosophy in mind, since each form of officially sanctioned racing has a very specific set of rules that must be complied with. In other words, what's considered legal in one form of racing may not be in the next. You have to build race cars specifically for each class they will be raced in. What kind of racing did you have in mind?

It sounds more like you are building a DE car for non-competitive lap days.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 01-20-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-20-2015, 03:26 PM
Millertimebmw Millertimebmw is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
I don't know how much actual racing you'll be able to do with that philosophy in mind, since each form of officially sanctioned racing has a very specific set of rules that must be complied with. In other words, what's considered legal in one form of racing may not be in the next. You have to build race cars specifically for each class they will be raced in. What kind of racing did you have in mind?

It sounds more like you are building a DE car for non-competitive lap days.
I guess I should have put. "my $900 BMW I intend to drive at outings in which it is permissible to do so with current "Stock" configuration and safety equipment present BUILD"

But in all seriousness, at my current stage (novice) it didn't make sense to strip the car down to bare metal and whip out the heat gun and putt knife. Not knowing what racing I will take part in.

As the car stands I can still take part in Timed "competitive" Ice Racing, perhaps some HPDE to sharpen this dull knife of a driver. Local Drags, Auto-X, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-23-2015, 06:55 PM
Millertimebmw Millertimebmw is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 328ic
Hey Everyone, new episode is up! Enjoy.

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-25-2015, 08:51 PM
MINIz guy MINIz guy is online now
#buttstuff2k14
Location: Mountain Lakes, NJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 68
Mein Auto: bro truck
You could run a mix of ATF and engine oil in the engine to further cut down on the sludge. I've seen a lot of people document that it works.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-27-2015, 01:43 PM
M-technik-3 M-technik-3 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Western Mass
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,240
Mein Auto: 88 M3x2 86 330i 4 e36's
Most of the online parts houses you have mentioned Price Match. You just have to ask the sales representative know where you found a part for less.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-29-2015, 02:49 PM
Millertimebmw Millertimebmw is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
You could run a mix of ATF and engine oil in the engine to further cut down on the sludge. I've seen a lot of people document that it works.
I'll be trying every trick in the book to get it cleaned out. We're a bit worried about breaking too much off at once and clogging the pick-up.



Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
Most of the online parts houses you have mentioned Price Match. You just have to ask the sales representative know where you found a part for less.
It is a tough market, that's for sure. Just gotta' find one that works well for you. Shipping, swag, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-31-2015, 06:46 PM
Millertimebmw Millertimebmw is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 328ic
New Video, BUMP!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-01-2015, 04:34 AM
antscut antscut is offline
Registered User
Location: MICHIGAN
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 325I CABRIO
Yo your Youtube channel rocks I watched most of your e36 diy vids!!!! Dopest of the dope keep it up love the budget build...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Millertimebmw Millertimebmw is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by antscut View Post
Yo your Youtube channel rocks I watched most of your e36 diy vids!!!! Dopest of the dope keep it up love the budget build...
THANKS SO MUCH !!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms