Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 AM
FAB

Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 325i
WHat if you hear a vibrating noise, very soft vibrating noise though. I think th rear glass is vibrating, any idea why that would happen?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: e36 320i sedan
another noise i am hearing is a clunk from the rear under acceleration and again every time i shift up a gear, as well as decelerating, basically a clunk every time the momentum is being shifted from fromt to rear, i am wondering ? centre bearing or tailshaft issues?? has anyone else experienced this?

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 325is
i am experiencing it, is there also a clunk going over a bump? I'd guess rear bush9ing
Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Boutros Boutros-Ghali

Mein Auto: E36 323i
COuld be trailing arm bushes, could be shock top mounts. Remember, when you speed up or slow down, the weight of the car shifts. From front - rear (Acc) or rear to front (braking).

When you go over a bump, does the rear of the car feel like its swaying to the left or right a little bit?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i
The underbody rattling/rumbling noise on my 1995 325i was from a sagging insulation/sound deadening material that was rubbing on the driveshaft right by the UV joint. Tore that section apart and eliminated the annoying noise.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:36 AM
'97 318is Hellrot

Send a message via Skype™ to N:CR41G
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 318is E36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canary View Post
Not sure. Did have similar noise myself but more tinny than plastic sounding. Turned out to be the dust protection tube on shocker was split and rattling against the shocker. It then did it no matter what road surface I was on. Bl**dy annoying.
Yeah, I have the same noise and it drives me INSANE!!!

I had a look at my shocks and saw my covers are split also!

...I wasn't sure on cutting them off so just put some cable ties on them, but they just came loose again!!

What did you do?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:50 PM
BMW apprentice technician

Mein Auto: 08 Impala SS
Very helpful thread - I think I have the rear wheel bearing problem.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:08 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW318 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderbrown View Post
Had a crazy loud chopping noise like i was running over a robotic dog from the rear whenever i accelerated until i hit around 35 mph and would be fine except for the drastic drop in power. Turned out to be the universal converter joint.

'95 325is
This one catches my attention! I'm experiencing this same loud chopping sound when accelerating 0-40kph especially when accelerating hard. As if the drive shaft is hitting a body part. Which part did you repair or replace to fix it?

When driving 50kph onwards, chopping noise dies but I feel slight shaking of the whole car.

Also, I'm experiencing the airplane sound when decelerating or running in neutral. This sound started when I had my differential oil seal fixed/replaced. No more leaks, but now the sound! Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thanks!

I have a 1996 318i vert.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: '95 318tds
i was beginning to wonder what those humming sounds could be... will take it to a mechanic asap or as soon as money is available...more like it...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Say What?!

Mein Auto: 94 325i
Im getting a knocking sound from the rear and you can feel it in the whole car when it knocks. It only happens when im going in reverse and turning. But it happens pretty much every time. Anyone know what this might be so i'll know what im getting into? It sounds like its most likely something to do with my suspension. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:14 AM

Mein Auto: 94 325i convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canary View Post
Not sure. Did have similar noise myself but more tinny than plastic sounding. Turned out to be the dust protection tube on shocker was split and rattling against the shocker. It then did it no matter what road surface I was on. Bl**dy annoying.
This might be hard to do but can you/someone show a picture of where this located, and I hope this is my problem because every time I go down a back road it makes this annoying noise constantly-it sounds like a piece is loose. I took it to a shop and they thought it could be my suspension mounts-
Old 10-27-2009, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 318i
Old 11-03-2009, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 1994,318ci,Red,vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussierede36 View Post
another noise i am hearing is a clunk from the rear under acceleration and again every time i shift up a gear,****
Just picked up Lil Red from Staten Island Yesterday (94 318ci, 172000 miles) I am halfway home in Harrisburg PA. Everything is as expected, except on hard acceleration, as the torque peaks, I get a hammering clunking repetitive noise. Not sure if it is driveshaft or axle speed, since I back off at once. Sounds very mechanical and can be stopped by backing off on the accelerator. I suspect u-joints or something is hitting the body, right? She desperately needs shocks, I know, and the butt drops when she starts to accelerate. Engine pulls great , and PO had the clutch changed just before I picked it up. (but that's another issue for when I get home)
My question for the forum is, is this something likely to fail in the next 457 miles (distance home) or am I safe if I just drive conservatively?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj View Post
Just picked up Lil Red from Staten Island Yesterday (94 318ci, 172000 miles) I am halfway home in Harrisburg PA. Everything is as expected, except on hard acceleration, as the torque peaks, I get a hammering clunking repetitive noise. Not sure if it is driveshaft or axle speed, since I back off at once. Sounds very mechanical and can be stopped by backing off on the accelerator. I suspect u-joints or something is hitting the body, right? She desperately needs shocks, I know, and the butt drops when she starts to accelerate. Engine pulls great , and PO had the clutch changed just before I picked it up. (but that's another issue for when I get home)
My question for the forum is, is this something likely to fail in the next 457 miles (distance home) or am I safe if I just drive conservatively?
sounds like a bad center support. If you drive smoth and not to to fast you will be fine
Old 11-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamerdave View Post
sounds like a bad center support. If you drive smoth and not to to fast you will be fine
Good. That is just what I've been doing. I will look at that bearing when I get her jacked up soon. Is that a tough fix?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325is M-sport Modded
The shop said that repairing my left rear half shaft is going to cost me $700 :-(
I know my ride is getting old, but aren't these cars built for tough roads? My streets are to blame, I mean there are potholes everywhere these days, it's like driving through Sarajevo, except this is my BMW we're talking about.
I don't need anyone pity, tis bad luck and maintenance on a vehicle. Maybe that last drift was pretty hard on the car too. I did a near 360 on this street with long open blocks and it held up. Well, somewhere between potholes and drifting corners, my car needs repair.
Edit/Delete Message
Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftingmyBMW View Post
The shop said that repairing my left rear half shaft is going to cost me $700 :-(****
If one is bad, can the other be far behind?
Old 11-14-2009, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325is M-sport Modded
Smile Go for lift off?

Well, I got the car back from the shop and the bill was $850 after taxes (yeah, my tax dollars help put soldiers in Afghanistan)
Now, I've got a new LR half-shaft/axle or whatever they call it and the car is whisper quiet. Does this mean I can start taking those corners again :-) I'm think yes.

I'll try to post a picture of my car through the picture links:
Old 11-17-2009, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 94 325is, 02 325i (RIP)
You should add this

when you hear a thunking between the front two seats, its mostlikely from failing guibo/driveshaft problem. Could also be tailshaft issues, u joint or centerbearing.

Happens under acceleration or whenever the drivetrains torques and flexes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussierede36 View Post
another noise i am hearing is a clunk from the rear under acceleration and again every time i shift up a gear, as well as decelerating, basically a clunk every time the momentum is being shifted from fromt to rear, i am wondering ? centre bearing or tailshaft issues?? has anyone else experienced this?

To do done... Install Bav Auto supersport coilovers w/ adjustable camber plates and bilsteins at the rear.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Ok, I've got a new noise coming from the rear.

When in the car it sounds like a squeaking / rubbing noise, from outside it sounds more like a grinding / grating noise.

However, this only happens under acceleration (at the moment)
It starts off only happening around left corners with the power on
Then does it with the power on in a straight line
then does it under acceleration or deceleration
then does it pretty much all the time

I've had it into two garages. The first was when it was serviced, as i thought it was brakes and it was due for a service.
After this it went back to just doing it round left corners with the power on.
Then got steadily worse, took it to another garage who stripped and cleaned the rear brakes and handbrake, and said it still did it.

Ended up having a new drive shaft fitted and it was spot on, for about a month, now it's happening again.

Anyone know what this could be?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:55 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Shannon325i
Mein Auto: 1992 325i
thanks man about to tackle same issue!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: '96 Supercharged DINAN 3
Rear end noise

I'm going under today to find out if my noise is my rebuilt M3 LSD or wheel bearings. 175K miles on the car. I don't know how long wheel bearings tend to last, and I don't know if the bearings where changed when the diff was rebuilt. (bought off ebay or craigslist) Any comments?

'96 E36 Dinan upgrades: Supercharged, Free Flow Exhaust, HFTB, Stage 1 Suspension & Strut Brace.

And just for the fun it:

ZF 6 speed conversion. E46 M3 flywheel, clutch, Custom drive shaft, LSD, M3 wheels, tint, HK sound, Wood grain,
Rear headrests

Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: E46 320i, E36 316i
Iīve got a noise coming from the rear (of E46, not E36, but thatīs not important I guess) after my brother hit a curb (must have been on very low speed, judging by the place where it happened, and I beleve it was, as he is driving carefully, just donīt understand how could he accelerate while going around a corner) with left rear wheel. The wheel was a little bit deformed, changed that but there is still some noise that is coming most (not always, however) of the time. It depends on the speed- the faster I go, the "faster" is the sound. Itīs like rrrrRRrrrRRrrrrRRrrrrRRR (RR being louder ). I canīt really hear it on highway, but I think thatīs becuase the soudn is "too fast" but itīs still there. Itīs the rear wheel bearing I suppose, right?
Thanks

E46 330xd

E36 316i
Old 02-07-2010, 11:22 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenzaa View Post
Iīve got a noise coming from the rear (of E46, not E36, but thatīs not important I guess) after my brother hit a curb (must have been on very low speed, judging by the place where it happened, and I beleve it was, as he is driving carefully, just donīt understand how could he accelerate while going around a corner) with left rear wheel. The wheel was a little bit deformed, changed that but there is still some noise that is coming most (not always, however) of the time. It depends on the speed- the faster I go, the "faster" is the sound. Itīs like rrrrRRrrrRRrrrrRRrrrrRRR (RR being louder ). I canīt really hear it on highway, but I think thatīs becuase the soudn is "too fast" but itīs still there. Itīs the rear wheel bearing I suppose, right?
Thanks

THat would be my guess, safest bet though is to get a sound clip posted so we can diagnose that way.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: E46 320i, E36 316i
Ok, I will post a clip as soon as possible, donīt know though whether it will help (maybe won t be "hearable" in the clip). Weīll see...

E46 330xd

E36 316i

Last edited by Clemenzaa; 02-08-2010 at 01:08 PM.