Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 02-27-2003, 08:19 AM
Why can't we get Diesels?

Mein Auto: V70R, JGC, MCS
Question Questions about red paint

Yup, it's me again... still wrestling over the Imola red vs. Silver Gray. I still haven't convinced my fiancee about red, but I need to convince my self first.

Anyone have experience with red cars? Do they fade siginificantly? I am fortunate to have covered parking at work, and though I don't have a garage in my apartment, I will cover it from the sun whenever possible until I buy a home with a garage in about 3 years. Assuming several waxings per year and overall good care, how badly would this paint fade? Would it lose it's color? I do see dull, faded cars out there, but it is hard to know whether they are well taken care of. I plan on keeping this car for many years, so having the paint looking good 8+ years from now is important.

Thanks!

Last edited by mbr129; 02-27-2003 at 09:25 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-27-2003, 10:07 AM
Traffic Surgeon

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP~89 325is~88 M6
Re: Questions about red paint

Quote:
Originally posted by mbr129
Yup, it's me again... still wrestling over the Imola red vs. Silver Gray. I still haven't convinced my fiancee about red, but I need to convince my self first.

Anyone have experience with red cars? Do they fade siginificantly? I am fortunate to have covered parking at work, and though I don't have a garage in my apartment, I will cover it from the sun whenever possible until I buy a home with a garage in about 3 years. Assuming several waxings per year and overall good care, how badly would this paint fade? Would it lose it's color? I do see dull, faded cars out there, but it is hard to know whether they are well taken care of. I plan on keeping this car for many years, so having the paint looking good 8+ years from now is important.

Thanks!
Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into the Imola Red... While I've got no first hand experience with red cars, I'd have to agree with what Doug said about the bird crap. That goes for black too, so I've been down that road. Try searching the detail forum for some of the more intensive detail routines of some of the members. That should give you an idea of what you would need to do. Good luck with your decision! Get Imola Red!
Old 02-27-2003, 10:16 AM
-The Mouth-

Send a message via AIM to 3seriesbimmer
Mein Auto: 06 Saab 9-3 Aero
When it comes to painting (not that you plan on having any done ) flat paint always looks better than mettalic. Just my two cents
Old 02-27-2003, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: car
I owned a Bright Red E46. I was told by 2 very good bodyshops in the area that the new paints shouldn't fade for 10 years.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:08 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
I have owned two red cars a Nissan 240SX and a Mustang GT. And I never really noticed them fading. I'm sure there is some fading but it is very slight and happens so gradually that you would never notice. Just have the car detailed with good wax a couple of times a year that might help slow down any fading.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:27 AM

Well, that is definitely good news. I think I need to have my fiancee look at Imola again and not 5 minutes before sunset. She saw it then and it made the car look orangy. Below are pictures of the two Imola Red M-sport cars I saw in Montreal around X-mass time. The dealership was closed when I came back with my camera, so the Ci is shot through the glass. At the time I was only taking pictures of the M-tech kit, not of the whole car, that is why they are pictures of parts of the car. Also the sun forced to take some odd pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	330cimsport3.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	8088  

Last edited by mbr129; 02-27-2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:28 AM

another
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	red330irearleft.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	8092  
Old 02-27-2003, 11:31 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Re: Questions about red paint

Quote:
Originally posted by mbr129

Thanks!
I can't believe everyone here has had red cars that did not fade I must live in some parallel universe....even late model, used E36 BMW's I looked at that were red were either faded or repainted I was actually going to say something about that in the other thread.....
Old 02-27-2003, 11:33 AM

330i front
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	red330front.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	8093  
Old 02-27-2003, 01:27 PM

Re: Re: Questions about red paint

Quote:
Originally posted by bren
I can't believe everyone here has had red cars that did not fade I must live in some parallel universe....even late model, used E36 BMW's I looked at that were red were either faded or repainted I was actually going to say something about that in the other thread.....
I just saw an E36 325is at work and it too seems a bit faded. But this is from a guy who had his car parked on the area NOT covered while there were several empty spots on the covered area a few feet away (i.e. he doesn't give a damn). Also, I am guessing it was an electric red, not Imola, and so that may also be why it didn't look as bright or deep. Finally the car looked old and it was riddled with swirl marks. I don't know much about E36's, but I would say this car looked to be 7-8 years old. If that is what I can expect after 8 years of treating a red car like crap, that isn't too bad. I want to hear from people who took care of their red cars, since that would be my situation.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Reed
Mein Auto: 98 740il, 89 325i
I've been thinking of an Imola Red too. I imagine Zaino should do a good job at protecting it. It's all about the care.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:32 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
All colors will fade with time but the truth is that red is fading quicker than any other color due to formulation of the paint itself. Pigments used make it also one of the most expensive paints. Most of new automotive paints and all BMW paints are 2 stage paints with base color and clearcoat on top. Clearcoat will provide UV protection against fading but you need to take care of it with proper maintenance.
Faded red cars that you see on the road are single stage paints and probably neglected by the owners. I wouldn't worry too much about fading on new car, get it if you like it.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:28 PM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Maybe some of the fading has to due with discoloration and fine scratches in the clearcoat after years of sun, road salt and washing. You add that with some slight fading of the red and you have a washed out dull red car after 10-15 years.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by F1Crazy
All colors will fade with time but the truth is that red is fading quicker than any other color due to formulation of the paint itself. Pigments used make it also one of the most expensive paints. Most of new automotive paints and all BMW paints are 2 stage paints with base color and clearcoat on top. Clearcoat will provide UV protection against fading but you need to take care of it with proper maintenance.
Faded red cars that you see on the road are single stage paints and probably neglected by the owners. I wouldn't worry too much about fading on new car, get it if you like it.
Excellent explanation! Thanks!
Old 02-27-2003, 04:11 PM
racer wannabe

You're welcome!
The truth is I just want you to get that Imola Red 330i ZHP!
Old 02-27-2003, 05:14 PM
take'r easy

Mein Auto: '03 330i - ED 05.12.03
My father-in-law keeps telling me to never get a red or silver car because they fade/oxidize. I keep telling him it's more important on how the owner takes care of their cars.

With that said I've known 2 people with red cars that were never repainted. One was an early 90's 325 and it was orange by the time she sold it last year. The other was an even older Toyota and it too was orange. In regards to silver, we have a silver 280ZX Turbo w/ the original paint and it still looks excellent.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:48 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
silver gray might have a higher resale value. red cars are just not as popular as they were used to be. true about metallics vs non-metallics. but red is bit@h to match as well. i previous car was red and several of the panels had been repainted. non of the repainted panels were correctly matched

black btw is the easiest to match.

"You know, by the time you become the leader of a country, someone else makes all the decisions. You may find that you can get away with virtual presidents, virtual prime ministers, virtual everything" - Bill Clinton

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws." -
Old 02-27-2003, 06:25 PM
Trained for red

Mein Auto: Electric red 2002 325xi
Anyone notice how soft the paint is? Is it just electric red or are all the colors that way.

Beware of red: http://www.bimmerfest.org/forums/sho...highlight=rant
Old 02-27-2003, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci
It's true that red pigments are most susceptible to fading due to UV rays, but I would think that with a rigorously maintained schedule of washing & waxing, the color would remain fairly fade-free. Though I am not certain of this off the cuff, I would imagine that any high quality wax must contain UV blockers--perhaps a high-quality synthetic a la Zaino might do as well or better...??
Disclaimer: I am a house-painting contracter, and always advise clients to steer clear of red exterior paint or derivatives thereof, due to the UV breakdown of red pigments. However, we do not apply a wax top coat to finish paints. The real issue is : A) how much UV protection does a high-quality wax/synthetic provide; and B) assuming that the UV protection is very good, maintaining that waxing schedule, to assure that there is always an adequate barrier between the paint and the elements.
My .02.

Andrew

PS: I think the Imola Red rocks...
Old 02-27-2003, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 1991 E30 318is
the only thing to make sure of is clear coat every couple years my cars 11 years old and hasnt faided yet, because of this
Old 02-27-2003, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: For fun
Quote:
Originally posted by F1Crazy
I agree with you about why the Red fades quicker, but I'm relatively sure that BMW doesn’t clear coat Red paint....at least this is what I was told by a person at a BMW repair shop. He also said that Alpine White wasn’t clear coated either.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:57 PM

I finally made up my mind. I want Imola Red. I just need a bit more time to convince my fiancee, but I think she'll budge.

I think that being that I only turn 24 next week and that I find only a handfull of cars can pull off the red, if I don't get a bright red now, I likely never will. Don't want something too flashy after my mid-30's.

Truth is, despite it being OUR car, I will drive it most of the time (she takes the train to Boston). In a couple of years, the old benz will be replaced by a wagon (used and relatively cheap), and the next car after that (were are looking at least at 6 years down the road) will be a true luxury sedan for her. Probably something like an E320 (not necessarily new). My wife will be a seasoned lawyer by then, and she may need to transport some colleagues or clients on ocasion, and a small, sporty, manual, 3-series regardless of color, just wont do when you are in that position and in your 30's. The wagon (even older by now), will be a dedicated long-trip/bad-weather car, and I will drive along happily in my 6 year old 330i for a few more years. So with that scenario in mind, might as well get the flashy red now. As the years go by, if I can afford to keep the 330i ZHP as dedicated track/Autox car (now 10 or so years old) I will, but after 10 years I probably will want to drive something newer everyday.

That's my master plan.

Last edited by mbr129; 02-27-2003 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: '10 E92 M3, '97 332ti
Quote:
Originally posted by gr8330
but I'm relatively sure that BMW doesn’t clear coat Red paint.... He also said that Alpine White wasn’t clear coated either.
Yikes! Remember that thread? Anyone?
Old 02-27-2003, 07:19 PM
racer wannabe

All new BMWs have clearcoated paint. The way to find out if you're dealing with single stage or clearcoated paint is to try to rub it with a solvent like prepsol or even any polish and if you notice the color transfer on the rag you'll know it's not clearcoated.

Clearcoat itself provides enough UV protection to stop fading.
Many waxes include UV inhibitors to make wax itself resistant to UV rays and synthetics like Zaino are very good at that but I don't know how much of UV protection they actually provide for the paint.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:52 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryN
Yikes! Remember that thread? Anyone?
I guess after reading that post nothing was settled on whether late model red BMWs have a clearcoat or not. The final out come was hblair on one side and 90% of bimmerfest on the other side. If I was to buy a 2003 Imola Red car before buying I would contact BMWNA and find out if the paint has a clearcoat, especially if I was keeping the car for more the 6 years.