Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 02-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Question Is Perma Plate Soundguard a waste of money?

I am taking delivery of a 330xi in April, and the dealership has presented me with various detailing options. I am getting the sense from other threads on this topic that paint and interior protection is a waste of money.

However, I was wondering about the Perma Plate Soundguard product. Does it really reduce road noise as claimed, or is it also a waste of money? Are there known issues with the use of this product on BMWs (rust protection, added weight, disrupted aerodynamics, etc.)?

BMW 330xi (on order)
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2003, 02:34 PM
Car Junkie

Mein Auto: '88 M3, Ex-'99 M3
Re: Is Perma Plate Soundguard a waste of money?

Quote:
Originally posted by scadieux
I am taking delivery of a 330xi in April, and the dealership has presented me with various detailing options. I am getting the sense from other threads on this topic that paint and interior protection is a waste of money.

However, I was wondering about the Perma Plate Soundguard product. Does it really reduce road noise as claimed, or is it also a waste of money? Are there known issues with the use of this product on BMWs (rust protection, added weight, disrupted aerodynamics, etc.)?
I wonder how it would adhere to the cosmoline that is applied to the bottom of all BMWs prior to transport. I would skip this if I were you. In my opinion, the majority of road noise is transmitted through the tires and drivetrain anyway. Besides, the E46 is already quite plush and quiet inside.

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
sold: '99 M3 Coupe
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
(Support Vehicle)
Old 02-27-2003, 04:16 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
IMO it's a waste of money. Your car will be already protected from rust from the factory. Do you really think that some aftermarket coating is better than what manufacturer applies?
Like Jetfire mentioned E46 is already quiet and most of the noise will come from tires, drivetrain and windows.
If you're not satisfied with noise levels in the car then go to a good car audio shop and have them put sound insulation, stuff like dynamat and sound deadening foams. They'll know best where to put it.

Just my $.02.