Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to sierrakilo99
Mein Auto: 2001 325Ci/1989 Civic HB
SES Light P0313 - Misfire Detected with Low Fuel

Ok, I've been trying to research this OBD-II code for a couple of days now, haven't really found anything 'firm' on the cause of this code, so before I start blindly replacing components and the cost climbs exponentially, I'll throw this bone out to the bimmerfest hounds.

As the title says, I've got a Service Engine Soon light lit up like a christmas tree on the panel... you know, can't take your eyes off of it even though the car runs fine and I'm getting good gas economy, not running rough etc. I got Autozone to read the codes and clear them for me a couple of days ago, but they just came back within a day.

The Autozone OBD-II scan tool says its a P0313 Misfire Detected with Low Fuel. Yes, I did run the tank down til the idiot light came on the day after AZ cleared the codes, but I did not run it dry, nor even close. I just turned 64k miles on the car this weekend, the next service due (according to the dash display) is an oil service in 7,000 miles. I had planned on doing the oil change when I hit 65k miles, but the SES light came on first.

So, anyone else ran across this one? What is the most likely cause of this OBD-II code and what did you do to clear it completely? I can understand a misfire (possible bad spark plug, etc.) but the 'with low fuel' means nothing to me...

BTW, I'm pretty handy with repairing my own vehicles, so nothing (except having to pay the dealer) scares me about working on my own car.
Ads by Google
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
I've been baffled with with issue as well. I assume your car is running fine, yet this code keep coming up? I wasnt sure how I fixed mine, but it just went away after a while. I cleaned the fuel system, intake valves, and stopped using a certain gas station, and it just went away. Dunno what causes it.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 AM

That's pretty much what's going on... the SES light comes on for a few days, goes off by itself. I haven't done anything to the car except put gas in it the four weeks I've owned the car. I'm planning on doing the 60K mile service to it this weekend. Hopefully changing the plugs and the filters will put an end to the light... some one recommended putting a can of fuel injector cleaner into the tank, but I haven't tried that yet.

There was one other post that came up in my search results that reported the same code, but they also had three or four other codes that were reported at the same time (I don't have that going on, just this one). That poster had taken the vehicle to the dealer, and only after chasing about $1000 worth of 'service' did they 'fix' the problem.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...sfire+detected

LOL - the dealer calls parts swapping until the problem goes away 'dealer service'... I guess no one does old fashioned 'trouble shooting' before blindly replacing parts these days.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Yup, thats a dealership for you. The only time I'd take it there is when I'm under full warranty and they give me a loaner. Actually the dealership I go to the service is above par compared to others I've dealt with. Before I became savvy, it seemed every time I took it to one place, my car would come back with something else mysteriously wrong with it, every single time.

I'd go with some fuel cleaner, make sure its a good kind though, and not that cheap $2 stuff. Also look into changing the fuel filter if you're doing 60k service.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: E46 318i 2002
Are these fuel cleaners good for your vehicle ? I was told by the dealer not to use any saying that it's one reason that causes problems in BMWs. I'm not sure about this advice from the dealer so please let me know about your thoughts ?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornado View Post
I'd go with some fuel cleaner, make sure its a good kind though, and not that cheap $2 stuff. Also look into changing the fuel filter if you're doing 60k service.
Which fuel injection cleaner did you use? I've always used something like Prestone's in my Honda's and Ford's. It's not $2/bottle, more like $7 around here (Central FL). Or does BMW recommend some other brand?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:59 PM
Protect your (lug) nuts

I dont remember, valvoline something.. Anything should work. Just cause its a BMW doesnt mean you have to use BMW brand or anything.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 05-26-2008, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
I have the same issue. If it sits for a while, it has long crank then starts and runs fine. When I fill up the tank it seems to get better for a while and then it comes back. I am going to try a fuel cap.