Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E90 328i / 318 Ti / Yugo
"Enthusiast" nonsense

Since when do "enthusiasts" only need to drive the most powerful model and since when are the ones who don't do so only "posers?" By that logic, any 135i driver is too poor to buy the M3, or even a 335i coupe, and just wants the bragging rights of having a fast BMW. There are many who can't afford a 135 or 335, but don't want the hassle and expense of owning a used higher-level model. In addition, many of us who could pay for a higher-priced model would choose to buy the cheper one and save some cash / enjoy the car more by utlizing the savings for more track days and track-day equipment.

In addition, the 3L TT engine is packed tightly and shoehorned under the hood of the little 135 and everyone should know that accessing certain key elements (oil cooler connections, turbos, certain sensors.....) requires more time and $$. Although few will even attempt to do anything themselves (true enthusiast car guys) rest assured that dealer mechanics rushing to complete as many cars as they can WILL be sloppy and WILL not assemble everything appropriately. That only means more service visits or future malfunctions.

True, many will buy the car (or lease it) and beat on it until it is in warranty, and then a poor "enthusiast" would buy it and face repairs. However, if the enthusiast in question stretches his/her budged and buys a brand new 128 to begin with for more piece of mind, he or she has to fight off a "poser" label.

Let's face it, the brand we like is associated with yuppies, posers, snobs and other fine socially-defined creatures, but that should not degrade any of the cars in question. A rich daddy's girl can buy a 335i as easily as a 135 or a 128.....it doesn't matter.

Finally, is sub 6 sec 0-60 for <<$30K Euro delivery somehow bad? I think not. I think that is perhaps the best option for many of us who want to enjoy driving while saving allot of money - and using the savings to enjoy many, many track events!

So where does this stop? .....Few $K more and buy a 135....few K more and get something else.....Evo and STI are "faster" .....G37 is a better bargain ..... Who cares? Will anyone admit, or advertise the fact that 128i is the best <<$30K car? Yes, auto magazines will only talk about the most poerful model and compare it with like cars, while pushing asside the little bargain. We have become an infantile society that only celebrates the best and most popular and forget that original BMWs that established the brand were not fastest vehicles on the road - even in their respective categories and - the first M3 was a 4 cylinder.....Today few would even consider a 4-cyl BMW even if it was turborcharded and had ~230hp.....300hp 6 cylinder one would still be better! I even read someone's opionion that BMW could fit the M3 V8 into a potential M1! This is all getting very ridiculous!

Cheers!
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2007, 02:46 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Ummm, what brought this on?

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
IOW, you're rationalizing your choice of the cheaper and less powerful one-series coupe?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:34 PM
&amp;quot;Clunker&amp;quot; *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyT View Post
IOW, you're rationalizing your choice of the cheaper and less powerful one-series coupe?
No doubt it's comments like this that brought it on. There's a lot of this going around. Don't let it bother you. Stick to your guns.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
No doubt it's comments like this that brought it on. There's a lot of this going around. Don't let it bother you. Stick to your guns.
+1. Read C&D a little more carefully - they often comment that the less powerful version of a car (say 328i or IS250) are the more balanced and enjoyable models. BMWs aren't about straight line speed anyways. I'd love to buy a 120d if given the choice.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 08-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Power is nothing without control.

Would I rather drive a terrificly fast Nissan Maxima or a X3 2.5iA? Well, seeing as how I'd understeer into the tree at the first bend in the Maxima, I think I'll take the X3. Even if it means I occasionally get honked at for an inordinately slow lane change in rush hour (like today).
Old 08-02-2007, 07:23 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Power is overrated.

Particularly when the only place I'm going with a hard press of the throttle is into the back of the car in front of me.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
I'd love to buy a 120d if given the choice.

I'd rather have a 123d but we'd settle for a 120d if the price was right.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:07 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
I'd rather have a 123d but we'd settle for a 120d if the price was right.
Concur.

Even the 118d was tolerable, though given the fact that it lacked the power of the 120d with no significant improvement in fuel economy (on paper anyhow), I'd jump into the faster model given the choice.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:22 PM

I will actually probably buy a 135. I am just tired of reading that 128 is somehow inadequate. It is a fenomenal car that is orders of magnitue better than anything <$30K.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:28 PM

.....one more thing..... Yes, C&D does mention lower level models but they always somehow test (and advertise) the more expensive ones, especially long term. I actually read a number of Euro publications that do not appear to be so enthusiastic about the 135. Many of the same indicate that it will be too expensive and focus more on the 123d. I guess I would just once like to read an article that encourages the readers to "ditch" the top of the line BMW, get a lower-priced one and enjoy! It is much too easy to just jump on the bandwagon and salivate towards the top of the line.....anyone can do that.....it is one of the defining features of insecure elementary school kids.....
Old 08-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
M3 V8 into a potential M1????

Sign me up!
Old 08-03-2007, 06:32 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBMW View Post
.....one more thing..... Yes, C&D does mention lower level models but they always somehow test (and advertise) the more expensive ones, especially long term. I actually read a number of Euro publications that do not appear to be so enthusiastic about the 135. Many of the same indicate that it will be too expensive and focus more on the 123d. I guess I would just once like to read an article that encourages the readers to "ditch" the top of the line BMW, get a lower-priced one and enjoy! It is much too easy to just jump on the bandwagon and salivate towards the top of the line.....anyone can do that.....it is one of the defining features of insecure elementary school kids.....
In Europe, petrol/gas costs an arm and a leg. People who do ED frequently notice they're the only ones driving a 335i or a 550i. It must be obvious for the natives, as to who is an American tourist: "look at ze americans.........driving ze 335i and paying 100 Euros at ze gas station".
Old 08-03-2007, 06:36 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipWOT View Post
M3 V8 into a potential M1????

Sign me up!
Sweet. M3 V8 in a lightweight M1, supercharge and blow away poseurs in 128i's!

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-03-2007, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 MB C230 Sport Sedan
Quote:
Since when do "enthusiasts" only need to drive the most powerful model and since when are the ones who don't do so only "posers?" By that logic, any 135i driver is too poor to buy the M3, or even a 335i coupe, and just wants the bragging rights of having a fast BMW. There are many who can't afford a 135 or 335, but don't want the hassle and expense of owning a used higher-level model. In addition, many of us who could pay for a higher-priced model would choose to buy the cheper one and save some cash / enjoy the car more by utlizing the savings for more track days and track-day equipment.

In addition, the 3L TT engine is packed tightly and shoehorned under the hood of the little 135 and everyone should know that accessing certain key elements (oil cooler connections, turbos, certain sensors.....) requires more time and $$. Although few will even attempt to do anything themselves (true enthusiast car guys) rest assured that dealer mechanics rushing to complete as many cars as they can WILL be sloppy and WILL not assemble everything appropriately. That only means more service visits or future malfunctions.

True, many will buy the car (or lease it) and beat on it until it is in warranty, and then a poor "enthusiast" would buy it and face repairs. However, if the enthusiast in question stretches his/her budged and buys a brand new 128 to begin with for more piece of mind, he or she has to fight off a "poser" label.

Let's face it, the brand we like is associated with yuppies, posers, snobs and other fine socially-defined creatures, but that should not degrade any of the cars in question. A rich daddy's girl can buy a 335i as easily as a 135 or a 128.....it doesn't matter.

Finally, is sub 6 sec 0-60 for <<$30K Euro delivery somehow bad? I think not. I think that is perhaps the best option for many of us who want to enjoy driving while saving allot of money - and using the savings to enjoy many, many track events!

So where does this stop? .....Few $K more and buy a 135....few K more and get something else.....Evo and STI are "faster" .....G37 is a better bargain ..... Who cares? Will anyone admit, or advertise the fact that 128i is the best <<$30K car? Yes, auto magazines will only talk about the most poerful model and compare it with like cars, while pushing asside the little bargain. We have become an infantile society that only celebrates the best and most popular and forget that original BMWs that established the brand were not fastest vehicles on the road - even in their respective categories and - the first M3 was a 4 cylinder.....Today few would even consider a 4-cyl BMW even if it was turborcharded and had ~230hp.....300hp 6 cylinder one would still be better! I even read someone's opionion that BMW could fit the M3 V8 into a potential M1! This is all getting very ridiculous!

Cheers!
+1. I agree 100%. I'm glad you phrased it so well. I would buy a 320si in a heartbeat, if BMW offered it here in the USA.

Leif W.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:11 AM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
And your point was what, again?

Just the fact that you seem to be bothered by other people's comments of your car choice, or that you feel some sort of peer pressure to upgrade to a different model IMO only speaks of immaturity.

Dude, buy what YOU want, and to hell with everyone else! (Well, maybe not the significant other... ).

There are lots of brands and models that I could buy in my price range. If I decide to buy a BMW it will be because of all sorts of reasons that I assign importance to, but other people's opinions will not factor in even the slightest bit.

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 08-03-2007, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: ...
Old 08-03-2007, 08:24 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Since when do "enthusiasts" only need to drive the most powerful model and since when are the ones who don't do so only "posers?"
Not me - a 3 or 5 door 120d with the M sport package would fit perfectly into my plans for a car to replace my 3er if replacement is in its future.

Nice rant
Old 08-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Launch Control Ready

Mein Auto: 11 997.2 S & 11 335 ZMZ
I understand your point and all but I will never understand people that get a fully loaded 525i (now 528i). It amazes me to see things like active steering ($1400), active cruise ($2,400), and night vision ($2200), among the "normal" options like prem, sport, CA, Nav, etc, placed into "entry level" 5 series. Stickering the car out at $66.5K...amazing and with 230HP and 200TQ in a 3,700 pound car. I'll take a 535i without the "frills" (but still having prem, zsp, cwp, nav, CA, sat, Logic 7) for $60K MSRP, thanks.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Since when do "enthusiasts" need to drive the most powerful model ............
We have become an infantile society that only celebrates the best and most popular and forget that original BMWs that established the brand were not fastest vehicles on the road - even in their respective categories and - the first M3 was a 4 cylinder.....Today few would even consider a 4-cyl BMW even if it was turborcharded and had ~230hp.....300hp 6 cylinder one would still be better! I even read someone's opionion that BMW could fit the M3 V8 into a potential M1! This is all getting very ridiculous!

Cheers!
What would make a kick ass 1er is the M-sport performance goods (suspension, brakes, MANUAL sport seats etc....),
on a nice light 128i.

I'd buy that baby in a heartbeat.
(no need for the body kit either)
Old 08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Strange that someone might want solid handling and power. At my last track day with my ZHP I found that I could clobber a bunch of M3 drivers in the corners (not the best of drivers) but upon hitting the straights they just had way too much power. So we played the same game - they'd lose me on the straights and as soon as the road got twisty I was back on their butts.

The one thing lacking for me - admittedly I'm still a track novice - power to dust them off on the straights and leave them behind for good. So, maybe it's that experience that draws me to the TT engine?

Offer me a 1 series sedan with a 4 cylinder turbo at 250 hp and a curb weight of 3000 lbs, I'd take it in a second over a 1 series sedan with a TT inline 6 and 3300 lbs.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
Ummm, what brought this on?

Real enthusiasts drive what they want and don't give a damn what others think.

Poseurs waste their time hating on others.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin T View Post
I understand your point and all but I will never understand people that get a fully loaded 525i (now 528i).
Most people don't feel the need for speed, so why get the more powerful engine when instead they'd rather have the toys? What's so hard to understand about that? The reason they still get a BMW instead of a Lexus is the driving joy than can still be felt even with less than 300hp. For a street car, 525i speed would be fine for me. Its only on the track, now that I'm in the top level group, than I need more power because most everyone else has significantly faster cars and driver skill is closer to equal.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 08-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

The 1-series I really want is the 120d. It's practical, fun, and economical. Plus, you can go around taunting Prius owners, saying "my sports BMW is better for the envioronment AND gets better gas mileage than your appliance!"
Old 08-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Launch Control Ready

Mein Auto: 11 997.2 S & 11 335 ZMZ
A car that weigh almost 2 tons with all that stuff in it and 185 TQ (since you mentioned 525) would be acceptable? Really? Not to me. Certainly not for low $60K MSRP...

Last edited by Justin T; 08-03-2007 at 01:44 PM.