Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 02-04-2002, 09:43 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
News Update : BMW Navigation

According to my spy at the BMW AG, BMW will be offering Navigation with MD Player. My question "Why not a CD Player?" could not be answered by him.

And there's no plan for a DVD Nav too

Secondly he acknowledged that the coupe facelift was going on and he'd seen a few on the parking lot. I have tried to bribe him , but he kindly refused to tell me anything about it. He said he didn't want to loose his job.

Alex
Old 02-04-2002, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw

Hmm..there's already a Nav with CD player. You should find it in the ETK CD.

Btw, I have no doubts that the coupe facelift will have a wider grille too and perhaps narrower headlights...

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1 Supercharged E46 M54B25.
NASA TTD So Cal. Track blog: VSETrack

Old 02-04-2002, 10:26 AM
2001 M3:Stick, what else?

Mein Auto: ///MMMmmm good
Re: News Update : BMW Navigation

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
According to my spy at the BMW AG, BMW will be offering Navigation with MD Player. My question "Why not a CD Player?" could not be answered by him.

And there's no plan for a DVD Nav too

Secondly he acknowledged that the coupe facelift was going on and he'd seen a few on the parking lot. I have tried to bribe him , but he kindly refused to tell me anything about it. He said he didn't want to loose his job.

Alex
But does he smile or frown when he speaks about the facelifted coupe?
Old 02-04-2002, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Curious about that Nav w/ CD player you saw on the parts CD...

Is it a 2002 style nav (wide motorized screen) that has a CD slot (instead of tape) behind it?
If not, what does it look like and where does the CD go?
Still amazing that they haven't figured out how to incorporate a DVD.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci Topaz, SP, PP
MD Player...dreams do come true

I have a rather large collection of MDs and it has been a worry for me how to play them on a new 330ci, but now that I hear this news, my worries can rest.

Any idea when it will start showing up, and if this is just a European option, or if us yanks can get a hold of it too??
Old 02-04-2002, 12:37 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Nav with DVD is over-rated. How often do you take your BMW on a cross country drive (no offense Alex...Cross continent drive for you)? The data contained on a single CD has enough map data for you to NEVER need to use a street map again. The only time this would be an issue would be if you move across country.

And the fastest CD-ROM drive is still leaps and bounds faster than the fastest DVD-ROM drive. And considering how much data needs to be sift through on a DVD to find your particular street, I'd say the DVD-ROM based navigation system is actually SLOWER than the CD based.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:46 PM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
In Japan, BMW uses a DVD based system...

I agree with HACK, CD is fine for me
Old 02-04-2002, 12:47 PM

Here's a pic. Item 3. Can't seem to find the part number.

Quote:
Originally posted by robg
Curious about that Nav w/ CD player you saw on the parts CD...

Is it a 2002 style nav (wide motorized screen) that has a CD slot (instead of tape) behind it?
If not, what does it look like and where does the CD go?
Still amazing that they haven't figured out how to incorporate a DVD.

Old 02-04-2002, 01:23 PM

Vince-- that is VERY interesting...

One strange thing- the housing w/ the CD slot is labeled 3- but there is no part number or description for it. Maybe it doesn't really exist.

If it does exist- I can't fathom why BMW doesn't allow people to order it w/ a new car (atleast here in the US-- you can only get a nav /w tape player even on the 2002 style nav)
Old 02-04-2002, 01:42 PM

RS2, I think you might be right! Item 3 might be a MD player rather than CD player! gosh!

robg: still can't find the part numbers on the ETK. hmm...what RS2 just mentioned really intrigues me now...

Old 02-04-2002, 01:44 PM
Ex-Dictator

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
RS2, I think you might be right! Item 3 might be a MD player rather than CD player! gosh!

robg: still can't find the part numbers on the ETK. hmm...what RS2 just mentioned really intrigues me now...
Vince,

I think it's an MD Player too. The NAV with CD player isn't available at the moment- (I've cross-checked it on the german forum)

Alex
Old 02-04-2002, 02:08 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
Here's a pic. Item 3. Can't seem to find the part number.

Just because it shows up on the ETK doesn't mean you can get it for the 3 series. Notice it doesn't show up on the part number listing on the bottom? That means this may be a diagram drew up for the 3 and the 5 series, but only the 5 series can have this option. Whether or not it works on the 3 series remains to be seen, but I'll bet if it doesn't show up on the ETK it doesn't exist for the 3.

If you look through the ETK you'll find a lot of fantom parts (like the damn CDV) that you won't find on your car or won't work on your car.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: '88 M3, '01 Z3, '06 330i
Angry BOO!

I hope Bangle doesn't screw up the Coupe! I'm sure it will be interesting. Why BMW doesn't leave the Coupe alone to differentiate it from the Sedan is beyond me.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:04 PM
Loving my car.

Send a message via Skype™ to lib
Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
A bit disappointing if it is correct.

If you are putting in a MD player into the car, why not make it so that you can have several options for head units. CD players are far simpler than MD.

I suppose the depth has a lot to do with it.. MDs are only like 3.5 inches right? But.. I am sure the skilled engineers at BMW could figure out a way to fit another 2 inches in there to hold a CD. Doesn't have to be that thick of a spot to let that plastic spin.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:33 AM

Yeah- it is hard to understand why BMW can't figure out how to put a CD in the nav unit. In fact, they should be able to figure out how to put a in-dash cd changer behind the nav. Every other car maker has figured out how to do in-dash cd changers that take up no more room than a singe slot cd on the dash--
Volvo, Toyota, Honda, Acura, Lexus, Audi, etc...

Alex- can you ask your friend if he can find out what the mental blockage at BMW AG is caused by? I'm sure there's a reason, but its getting pretty hard to believe in 2002...
Old 02-05-2002, 09:40 AM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Originally posted by robg
Alex- can you ask your friend if he can find out what the mental blockage at BMW AG is caused by? I'm sure there's a reason, but its getting pretty hard to believe in 2002...
The answer would be in german " Der Vorstand", means "Board of Directors". Since I have no idea how decisions are being taken in such huge companies, I'm sure there are some members on this board who may shed a light on this.

Alex
Old 02-05-2002, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto:
It could be a lot of things. MDs are smaller than CDs. As the head unit is designed, there may be limited space inside the housing. Adding a CD might not be possible without redesigning the whole head unit. The MD addition might just be a simple swap (with the tape unit).

And I wouldn't look for the MD head unit to be available in the US. It's likely a Euro-only option. MD never really took off here..
Old 02-05-2002, 01:14 PM
Head-In-Sand Dumbass

Mein Auto: BBY Evo VIII
Quote:
Originally posted by The HACK

And the fastest CD-ROM drive is still leaps and bounds faster than the fastest DVD-ROM drive. And considering how much data needs to be sift through on a DVD to find your particular street, I'd say the DVD-ROM based navigation system is actually SLOWER than the CD based.
Actually DVD drives transfer data at about 11mb/sec which is about as fast as a 45x CD drive. The ratings are different; 12x DVD speed != 12x CDR speed.

Also there's no "sifting" to be done with the data; it's all very organized just like a CD and is just as fast response-time wise. Besides that, it's all dependant upon the processor used to process all of the data being pulled off the disc.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:29 AM

Mein Auto: '01 x5 4.4i; '02 330Ci
Option Code?

Any idea what the option code might be for the MD Nav?