Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-02-2007, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i sport
Location of relay for trunk release

My trunk release stopped working recently. I checked all fuses and didn't find a blown one. The trunk will not release with the remote nor through the button under the steering wheel. When I activate the remote, I hear a faint click from the glove compartment but nothing from the rear of the vehicle. I am curious to know where the relay is located at which provides power to the actuator.

From the Bentley manual, it is stating in the right side of the trunk above battery but does not denote the exact location.

Any ideas?
Ads by Google
Old 08-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 540i and 2002 M5
Don't know where the relay is but you can access the truck actuator by removing the interior trim panel on the trunk lid. With the trim panel removed locate the key tumbler. There will be an ~12" metal rod attached to the tumbler. Follow this rod to a black box with electrical leads. This is the remote trunk actuator. Most likely your problem lies with the actuator not a relay. To verify it is the actuator, try pushing the remote unlock on your key fob and see if the actuator moves. If you have a voltmeter, you can check that you get a DC voltage when the remote unlock button is pushed. If the actuator moves or you get a voltage, its the actuator.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:50 PM

I checked for voltage on the GR/GN and BR wires going into the actuator and do not get any juice. So I'm thinking its before the actuator.

I've included a wiring schematic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk_actuation_E39.gif
Views:	629
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	116809  
Old 08-04-2007, 10:34 PM
JSM01

Mein Auto: 525i
I have the exact same issue. I tried replacing the actuator but no luck, you're right in saying the problem is before the actuator.

There has to be another fuse or something that isn't allowing the signal flow to the motor/actuator!

Let me know how you make out...
Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 PM

Have you tried looking at the wiring harness that connects from the body of vehicle to the trunk link? I have heard that the kinking causes the wires to sever at this location. I'm continuing my search.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:43 PM

Located the issue to the general module which is located behind the glove compartment. Attaching diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk_actuator.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	117278  
Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 PM
JSM01

Mein Auto: 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgflow View Post
Located the issue to the general module which is located behind the glove compartment. Attaching diagram.
Have you replaced the part? What is the part number, how much did this run you?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrostel View Post
Don't know where the relay is but you can access the truck actuator by removing the interior trim panel on the trunk lid. With the trim panel removed locate the key tumbler. There will be an ~12" metal rod attached to the tumbler. Follow this rod to a black box with electrical leads. This is the remote trunk actuator. Most likely your problem lies with the actuator not a relay. To verify it is the actuator, try pushing the remote unlock on your key fob and see if the actuator moves. If you have a voltmeter, you can check that you get a DC voltage when the remote unlock button is pushed. If the actuator moves or you get a voltage, its the actuator.
Can anyone please post instructions on removing the Trunk lid trim panel? This is the plastic piece on the back of the inside of the trunk with the handle for closing the trunk lid. It also covers the actuator I believe. There must be an asy way to remove this I have something laying loose inside there that rattles around when I open the trunk lid. Im not sure if its a bulb or a screw or what it is but it drives me nuts just knowing its loose in there. When I look inside that handle cover, I see a flat plastic piece with a slotted type hole in it but no screw or anything and cant figure out how to remove it...Are the two plastic looking clips/rivits on the bottom of the whole panel the key to removing this and if so, how can I unclip them without breaking anything? Any help would be very much appreciated. I probably do not even need to remove the whole thing if I can just pull out on the bottom left corner enough to free the piece...I do not want to break somehting just because of my OCD about the loose piece in there.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 318 i
Hi
I am having problems with my boot/trunk release on my 318i 2004. The button release next to the steering wheel does not work and either does the buttong underneath the tail light. The only way i can open my boot is with the button on my key. Any suggestions on what the problem could be??
Thanks Rachael