Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 01-21-2003, 12:36 PM
ROOKIE

Send a message via AIM to rflores2323
Mein Auto: 96 bmw z3
need help installing m roadster seats with heating

pls check out this thread and let me know if you can help in any way with giving me info etc.. I rather be over prepared when going into the install than under.. thanks again!

here is a summary

ok I have a 96 1.9 and just bought some 99 ///m roadster seats for it and wnated to know what exactly do I need to make this work??? they guy selling it has the whole int from the roadster and he said he can give me all the parts for the heating pads etc.. he just needs to know what. this will work right??? ayone know someone that has done this install by chance?

click for original thread

thanks
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2003, 04:57 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
We should get another try at Roadsterwench's at Tech Session 5.5
Photo gallery
Old 01-29-2003, 06:21 AM
ROOKIE

di it not work out the 1st time you tried. well let meknow becuase I will do this swapin about 2 weeks hopefully.

Richard
Old 01-29-2003, 07:19 AM
into things retro

Quote:
Originally posted by rflores2323
di it not work out the 1st time you tried. well let meknow becuase I will do this swapin about 2 weeks hopefully.
Richard
Nobody remembered to get instructions from the Ron Stygar site to pull the center console (and we did not want to risk damage finding out the hard way). For Tech Session 5.5, that will definitely be on the agenda, so we'll be more prepared.
Photo gallery
Old 01-29-2003, 07:24 AM
ROOKIE

ok cool deal.. let me know how it goes.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:57 PM
into things retro

Okay, here's the write-up. Pics courtesy of SONET (nice job).

Background:
Z3's are pre-wired for heated seats. See the thread link above to get to the circuit diagram. Roadsterwench's car already had the correct fuse in place and the heater control circuitry is all in the switch assemblies. That's great! All you need is a couple of the switches and seats with the heater elements in them. One way is to upgrade to M roadster seats or get Z3 seats the heater elements in them. The other way would be to add the heater elements to the existing seats. JonM and AndyM may have some idea what would be involved and the difficulty level of that upgrade.

Procedure:
We disconnected the battery and began the steps of the center console removal. NOTE: WE DID NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE CENTER CONSOLE. Because Roadsterwench had an alarm indicator/microphone in one of the switch panels that needed to be moved the back end of the center console, we did remove the screws at the back end of the console. (for center console removal instructions see the Ron Stygar site). At the front of the console, we removed the radio and popped out from the back the switches in the panel. (It turned out that we did not have to remove the heater control knobs or pop out the shifter cover plate)

We took a look and there they were: 2 light purple 6 pin connectors for the seat heaters. More to come . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step1_console_switches_out.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	8056  
Photo gallery

Last edited by scottn2retro; 03-03-2003 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:26 PM
into things retro

We needed to relocate one of the items on her front switch panel to a panel at the back of the center console. On a lot of cars, the top up/down button is at the rear of the center console, so we were hoping there was some wiring in there that we could just uncoil and route to the back. That wasn't the case , but luckily the wiring for the alarm indicator/microphone was plenty long. After disconnecting it, we ran the wire out the side of the center console (we did remove the screws that hold the side of the center console in place). We ended up running that line up under the right side of the center console. More on the way . . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	step2_run_wire_to_back_console.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	8057  
Photo gallery

Last edited by scottn2retro; 02-26-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:45 PM
into things retro

Next we put together the switch panel that was going to replace the the little box that was at the back of the center console. She bought a new 3 switch panel and we popped the indicator/mic in the center slot. The white connector with the purple & black wires for the indicator is what connects to the long wire that we ran to the back of the console (you can see the other connector in the background). The black wire with the Mini jack connector for the mic had a long wire that needed to be run from the rear of the console back up to the front console. More on the way . . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	step3_rear_panel_plate.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	8059  
Photo gallery

Last edited by scottn2retro; 02-26-2003 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:47 PM
into things retro

We popped out the little cup type 'storage' bin at the rear of the center console and snapped in the new 3 switch panel. There is a backing plate on the inside of the console that the panel snap onto . You can see the mated connection that we pushed back thru the opening. You can also see the long wire with the mini jack that had to be run up the front console.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	step4_install_rear_panel.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	8094  
Photo gallery
Old 02-27-2003, 01:53 PM
into things retro

Back to the front. We connected the seat heater switches, re-connected the battery and turned one on to test it out. You can see in the pic that the wiring to one of the connectors has yellow tape on it, the other connector has black tape. On Roadsterwench's car, the switch with the yellow tape went to the driver's seat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	step5_install_heater_switches.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	8095  
Photo gallery
Old 02-27-2003, 01:59 PM
into things retro

Putting the switch panel back together: The AC switch is wider than the others and had to go on the far left. We put the seat heater switches to the far left and right of the remaining 4 slots and moved the top up/down and ASC switches to the middle. Then put the radio back in and re-assemble the rest of the center console. You can barely see the light on the far right switch while testing the heater in the passenger seat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	step6_all_done.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	8097  
Photo gallery