Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Xkalibur7

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M5 Carbon Black
Question Tools Needed for Brake and Rotor Change

I'm getting ready to change my rotors and brake pads

Are there any special tools i'll need to do the job on my E30

I also have new rear wheel bearings, are they difficult to replace and will i also need more special tools to do the job?

I have the bentley manual, but it likes to refer to BMW tools to remove or change the above listed parts. CAn i possibly get the parts i need from an auto parts store?

Thanks for your help
Old 08-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Account close at users request

Mein Auto: .
A good set of hand tools will do the job. Including allen wrenches, star bits, and a good leverage pipe. You may need a rubber sledge if your rotors havent been off in a while.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1986 BMW 325 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Check View Post
A good set of hand tools will do the job. Including allen wrenches, star bits, and a good leverage pipe. You may need a rubber sledge if your rotors havent been off in a while.
Thanks! I'm doing the same job this weekend! Why the leverage pipe though? Do you mean a breaker bar????
Old 08-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Xkalibur7

Thanks for the replies, i should have most tools, i'll need a decent leverage pipe... i would assume that is to disconnect the front from the steering and drive shaft? Will this job be difficult to do without a lift? Lastly, are there any lubricants, grease, or oil i will need to replace or use on the parts? I'm almost certain i'll need some of those... i am just not sure what to use on BMW's... always have to check with these cars before i do something stupid! Thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 01:33 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
You don't need a breaker bar for pads/rotors. I've never changed my wheel bearings so I can't help with that.

Click Here for some really good brake-related DIYs
Old 08-09-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omw41 View Post
Thanks! I'm doing the same job this weekend! Why the leverage pipe though? Do you mean a breaker bar????
AH! Thats the word I was looking for! I couldn't think of it.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
You don't need a breaker bar for pads/rotors. I've never changed my wheel bearings so I can't help with that.

Click Here for some really good brake-related DIYs
I did.

The bolt holding the rotor on was fused to the rotor and hub. I used a torch...PB Blaster, anything you can think of...then I got out the PipeZilla. My 3.5 foot lead pipe...

I did need a new bolt...

and hub...

and rotor.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkalibur7 View Post
Thanks for the replies, i should have most tools, i'll need a decent leverage pipe... i would assume that is to disconnect the front from the steering and drive shaft? Will this job be difficult to do without a lift? Lastly, are there any lubricants, grease, or oil i will need to replace or use on the parts? I'm almost certain i'll need some of those... i am just not sure what to use on BMW's... always have to check with these cars before i do something stupid! Thanks
I only did the front wheel bearings...and it wasn't too bad. Just keep the parts in order as you remove them...keep everything OVERLY greased(drop the bearings in the grease and submerge it), just enough so it wont drip. Clean your rotors and new parts with brake cleaner thoroughly!!!!!!! Oh...use some anti seize on all your bolts, and make sure the caliper slide bolt is greased, and the boot on the caliper slide is sealed. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:31 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Check View Post
I did.

The bolt holding the rotor on was fused to the rotor and hub. I used a torch...PB Blaster, anything you can think of...then I got out the PipeZilla. My 3.5 foot lead pipe...

I did need a new bolt...

and hub...

and rotor.
Anti-seize on the hub, too. I hand tighten the allen head that secures the rotor to the hub.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
Anti-seize on the hub, too. I hand tighten the allen head that secures the rotor to the hub.
Yeah, I just barely tightened it down, but it started rubbing on the splash guard behind the rotor. Could have been coincidence though, b/c the lugs tighten the rotor on...so,
Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1986 BMW 325 E
Good stuff guys. Thanks! I got the turner motorsports brake kit that Mark posted.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Xkalibur7

Thanks Everyone for your help... i'll make sure i have everything ill need before i start the brake and rotor job. I appreciate the good info and lessons learned! Hopefully i don't make similar mistakes.