Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:50 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2014 328d;1990 325i coupe
Just had E36 steering rack swapped in--highly recommended

After doing a lot of research online I decided to go with the E36 and not the E36 M3 or the E36 Z3. The first is too slow, the second too sharp. The E36 rack is a good compromise. I got the rack and pinion from rackdoctor.com for $100 including return of the core. I spoke to the tech there and he suggested installing E30 inner tie rods on to the E36 rack--a good idea. The rack from rackdoctor is fully refurbished and has a lifetime guarantee. Labor cost $400 plus $90 for the alignment if you're not a DIYer. The indie shop also replaced the two outer tie rods because the boots were worn.

Driving the car is a whole different experience. I suppose new tie rods help, but the feel on the road is much more solid and the front end just feels more "tied" together. Steering on turns is quicker and cleaner with less turns lock to lock (3.2 I believe instead of stock 4.0) and more reactive from center with quicker turn-in. Well worth the money in my book. Not an earth-shattering difference but definitely makes a nice difference.

I suppose many prefer an even quicker wheel, but I'd be wary of that when going at >80mph--much less time to enter corrections into the steering column with a Z3 rack (2.7 turns).

2014 328d SportLine Melbourne Red//DHP/Sport AT/Lighting Package/Moonroof/M Sport Steering Wheel/Dinan Shockware/Kelleners Sport Front Lip Spoiler & Trunk Spoiler/19x8.5 VMR 721 Gunmetal/BavSound Stage One/XPel/OptiCoat/Prestige PhotoSync & FormulaOne Pinnacle
1990 325i coupe E36 steering rack/Bilstein HD/M3 springs/M3 rsb/Cabrio fsb/4.10 LSD/Conforti chip/Z3 short shifter/M3 Sport seat custom upholstered
Advertisement