Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:42 AM

Mein Auto:
New member of the E30

Hey guys I'm Levi , 19 years old, and I have recently picked up a 84' 318i. It's a Hennarot with clear coat peel here and there, not to mention a side swipe on the driver's door. I'll be using this thread to document everything I will do with this project. I drive an e46 330ci and finally found the cheapest and least rusted e30 I could find. The only rust is where the battery sits and on the lower line of the fends (but not even a centimeter in length). The car cost me $400 and I knew what I was getting into. The previous owner told me that the car was being driven by his wife and that he changed the starter one day and the next day it wouldn't start, well the day I pick up the car he says that there was a coolant leak and he stopped driving the car after that. Now I notice the change of story but it didn't change my mind on purchasing the car. Well I bought the car on Sunday (aug. 23rd) and now it's Wednesday and I've got a number of things to work on so I'll start with what I did, when, and what I've found.

Day 1:
I just cleaned the car inside removing 2 trash bags of any fast food place you can think of.I the gave the car a clean and the engine bay and under as well with gunk gel.

Day 2:
Starting off there was a leak in the power steering but what caught my attention was the color of the fluid leaking which was pink or dark red. I looked looked at the hose leading down and found where it was leaking from and got a larger sample of the fluid. There was also a bottle of automatic transmission oil in the engine bay and I opened it up and look at that..the previous owner clearly didn't know what she was putting or where. I the gave the car a clean and the engine bay and under as well with gunk gel.

Day 3:
First I removed the windshield wiper fluid tank and the air box. Then I drained the coolant out and removed the radiator and the hoses and thermostat. Then I saw oil leaking from the pan, so I drained the oil and removed the oil pan...what I found wasn't pleasant.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1440661120.183635.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	527180
I'm guessing the bolt was for the rod bearing but I'm curious to what the piece is on the left. If anyone knows knowledge would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2015, 12:45 AM

Mein Auto:
Just a couple of pictures the day of purchase. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1440661470.837001.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	527181Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1440661492.430916.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	527182Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1440661508.057547.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	527183
Old 08-27-2015, 02:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 325 / 02 X5 / 03 525
This is a great project. Good luck. Check this forum too.

http://www.318ti.org
Old 08-27-2015, 06:42 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x2,E30x1, F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemane View Post
Day 2:
Starting off there was a leak in the power steering but what caught my attention was the color of the fluid leaking which was pink or dark red. I looked looked at the hose leading down and found where it was leaking from and got a larger sample of the fluid. There was also a bottle of automatic transmission oil in the engine bay and I opened it up and look at that..the previous owner clearly didn't know what she was putting or where.
WARNING! WARNING!
The previous owners knew exactly what they were putting in there! The power steering system on BMWs use Dexron 3 ATF or higher (you haven't been putting PSF in your E46, have you?). They do NOT use power steering fluid! I hope you didn't drain and refill it with PSF, because you'll have to do it again and put ATF back in it.

If you look at the cap on the fluid reservoir, it tells you ATF ONLY.

EVERY E30 leaks fluid from the power steering system, unless the hoses have been replaced.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette"

Last edited by hornhospital; 08-27-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
WARNING! WARNING!
The previous owners knew exactly what they were putting in there! The power steering system on BMWs use Dexron 3 ATF or higher (you haven't been putting PSF in your E46, have you?). They do NOT use power steering fluid! .

No way.. I had no idea. My e46 has been handled by specialized mechanics just due to the fact that it's my daily and I'm not going to mess with something I don't know much about.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto:
Update

Day 4:
I'm really deciding on whether I can save the engine or not, so I'm trying to take off the whole oil pan and look at the damage. Removed the bolts from the inside of the oil pan that are near there oil pump and bolts from the steering rack(Why? I think that I can remove it to access the oil pan screws better). AND picked up door cards and Oem spark plug tool Click image for larger version

Name:	11892071_724689644383_8260802540451286844_n.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	527397
Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto:
Day 6:
I was finally about to pull out the wiring that leads to the glove box but couldn't disconnect those of the fuse box.
*note to self* fix the wire I pulled out from the fuse box

Now I started removing the exhaust manifold, I left one screw in that lead down, so that I can remove it tomorrow.
Steering knuckle was disconnect, all I need to do is lower the car and remove the tires.
Power steering and AC were removed, but once I removed one of the hoses of the AC a big shot of freon hit me directly in the face. Yeah I forgot to relieve the pressure from the system.
The alternator was removed with ease and the power steering fluid (atf) was drain too.
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto:
New member of the E30

If you want to remove the wiring from an e30 you got to pull it all through the firewall into the engine bay but before that you have to disconnect all the wiring inside the car and trunk.

Was not easy for me to remove it! Plus if anyone wants it I can sell my whole harness I just need to know what they are worth it's from a 325ic 1992 and don't know if anything is broken.

Last edited by respect_my_e30; Yesterday at 06:14 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by respect_my_e30 View Post
If you want to remove the wiring from an e30 you got to pull it all through the firewall into the engine bay but before that you have to disconnect all the wiring inside the car and trunk.

Was not easy for me to remove it! Plus if anyone wants it I can sell my whole harness I just need to know what they are worth it's from a 325ic 1992 and don't know if anything is broken.

How'd you go about removing the connections that lead into he fuse box? One the the cables is held by a screw I'm not able to unscrew with pliers of the socket size?