Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: e30 1986
No heat!! Dont know what is wrong help!

I have a 1986 325e and i was wondering if anybody has been through this before i bought the car like this so i have no idea what is wrong with my heat , it blows cold air at the speeds it set at so i dont think its the blower motor , i replaced the thermostat thinking its not fully opening , so that last thing i could thing of is the heater core but i heard if the heater core is gone it would leak antifreeze on the floor and i havent noticed any of that so please let me know what you guys are thinking it would be it would help alot i hate getting in my e30 in the freezing cold

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2015, 10:33 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: Two 1987 325i, 418K, 211K
There is the off chance that the heater core went bad and the PO was a cheapskate and just bypassed the core under the hood. This thread has the experience of a guy in that boat:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=819591

I have photos in the second post of what my heater core fittings under the hood look like.

There is a solenoid valve that controls the flow of water into the core. I recently replace mine with a boneyard unit as part of the tubing attached to it had become damaged. I don't quite get what goes on as the heat control pulls a cable which turns something that I could see when I had my heater core out for replacement recently. It's about a foot away from the solenoid, I'm guessing that controls something that sends a signal to the solenoid. Who knows, that might have gone out on you in the closed position. New are over $200, I got mine + pipes for about $30.

If the core was hooked up but leaking you'd also smell anti-freeze and probably see vapor on the windshield above the blower openings. And you'd be getting some heat.

Last edited by cmac2012; 01-28-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 88 M3x2 86 330i 4 e36's
Piggy back on previous owner stuff maybe the heater houses are reversed. Your car if I remember correctly is a M50b25NV correct?
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

Im going to take a look at the solenoid and try to replace it if i can and if that dont work i will try to bypass it and yes it is a M50b25 but i contacted the previous owner and he said the heat was fine last year

Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM
apprentice curmudgeon

Mein Auto: A bunch of things
Is your cooling system full? Air lock can cause the core to not get any heat. Then there's a possible problem with the blend door or the water control solenoid. I'm still trying to get my car lined out but I've worked on numerous "no heat" problems over the years. With your engine warmed up to operating temperature, feel your hoses. If both are hot, your blend door is probably stuck in some way. If one hose is hot and the other isn't, water isn't getting through. That would either be an air lock or the heat control valve inoperable.

Text if you want to meet him.
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 04 525i & 84 533i
I agree with the above answers. In my experience usually has been improper bleeding, low coolant level, inoperable heater valve or thermostat (but you already changed it). I have not had blend door issues. Update?
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

Yes my cooling system is full im going to feel the lines tomorrow when the is up to temp and i will bleed the air out the lines again even thou ive done that many times but ill test it out and update u guys