Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 325i
over here drivers with less then 2 years of experience have to stick a big green leaf sticker on front and back. Originally they were limited to 70kmh speed, but that is gone now on highways because that was stupid where you can go 110 and this dude is just crawling along at 70... besides nooone ever followed it anyway. But the big green leaf (like the one on canada flag, but green) is like a nice sign saying "new driver, watch out".
Old 08-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Folding gutshots

Mein Auto: BMW 323i
In New Zealand you sit a written test when you are 15 which gives you a learner license, meaning you can drive with someone in the front seat who is over 20 and has had a full license for more than 3 years.

A year after that you sit a practical test which tests basic skills, if you pass that you have a restricted license meaning you can drive yourself, and passengers only if you have a full license driver with you. You can also only drive between the hours of 7am and 10pm. PLus if you sat the test in an auto you are only allowed to drive auto.

18 months after that you sit a full test, if you pass this you are a fully licensed driver.

__________________________________________________ ___
1996 323i Saloon
90,000km
K&N Filter
Pioneer 9650 Headunit
Meridian 2600S Alarm
Clear corners and markers
Old 08-12-2007, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 99 Accord
your car is pure sex
Old 08-12-2007, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i
Here in Queensland Conehead, it's 3 years on your P plates and then once you're on your 'Open License' you can take a Learner driver through

I'm free of my L plates, best feeling ever!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by v33_n0d3 View Post
Haha! Try that in America, where you can buy a Camaro or Mustang for somewhere between $5-8,000. It's the first car for many of the teenage boy population. I'm sorry, but 0 to 60mph in 5.4 seconds and a sub-13 second quarter mile in a car that looks trendy and masculine is an absolute steal.... and a bomb waiting to explode!
to be honest i'd LOVE to have some American Muscle, but over here in Aus they're pretty rare, especially cheap

Holdens and Fords is all we see, and I'm not overly impressed by them either.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:40 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36FewInNumber View Post
you think it's easy to get a licence in GB, over here when your 14 and 9 months you take a class for about a week, you don't even have to pay attention. then take a test which annyone who has the slightest idea what a road is can pass. the you drive with your parents till you turn 16 then take a basic road test that sees if you know what a gas pedal does then you get your licence. easy as 1,2,3.

but i should mention it is a horrible system, dumb b1tches whos mommy and daddy buy them $30,000 suvs can get a licence and then crash into other peoples cars who arn't so lucky and actually take pride and spend a lot of money and effort to make their cars look nice. makes me angry!!
Quote:
I am 17 and i still totally agree with you, I wish they would have more classes on accident avoidance and instead of showing "keep your eye on the road" videos. It is soo pointless, I wouldn't mind having to take a few other classes as long as other would have to also. It's not me I am worried about it is others, and those others are what give young teens a bad rep. they need more classes on what to do if you lose control, and how to deal with winter weather. also i think once you reach a certain age like 70 they should enforce a mandatory road test every 5 years, because the elderly are just as dangerous.
+ 3 fcuking trillion on both counts. That the same thing I've been ranting about ever since i got my license and realized just how damn easy it is to get!
Every idiot know what the hell the gas and brake pedals do, and if not they don't need a class to tell them that. They need a course with a practice car with fully redundant controls, where the instructor throws your car into a skid, starts to lock your brakes, has you go through a slalom, etc, and YOU have to recover from HIS mistakes. Because that's basically what it is in real life. No one needs a class telling you "Don't push the limits of your car". They need to know exactly where those limits are, and what to do WHEN they have exceeded them. When they finally end up throwing their car out of control, they will know how it reacts and what to do to recover. Does anyone really put any emphasis on, "if you ever go into a skid, let off the gas, DON'T brake, and lightly countersteer, but don't throw it the other way or you're really screwed"? No! No one teaches that. Every kid will push their luck and end up in a situation they weren't expecting and aren't prepared for. Teach them how to recover, not avoid. Teaching pure avoidance is futile.

Also, in CA, you're allowed to make 15 "errors" and still pass your test. HOW?! I made 4, all of which were because the tester didn't see me look in my mirrors (not checking mirror = error). He was looking away 1/2 the time, how can he tell? I know people who didn't pass on the first try....or second!!! They shouldn't even be allowed to be on the road for a good year! It's impossible NOT to pass IMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j99smith View Post
In New Zealand you sit a written test when you are 15 which gives you a learner license, meaning you can drive with someone in the front seat who is over 20 and has had a full license for more than 3 years.

A year after that you sit a practical test which tests basic skills, if you pass that you have a restricted license meaning you can drive yourself, and passengers only if you have a full license driver with you. You can also only drive between the hours of 7am and 10pm. PLus if you sat the test in an auto you are only allowed to drive auto.

18 months after that you sit a full test, if you pass this you are a fully licensed driver.

That's the closest to CA, almost identical.
At 15 1/2 you can take a 48 question written, miss 8 maximum, get your permit. You have to take 6 hours (that's IT?!) of behind the wheel training and can drive with your parents. 6 months later, you can take the behind the wheel test. 15 errors max, you have your license. 1st year you can't drive passengers or drive btwn 11pm and 5 am without a CA licensed driver over 25 (21? can't remember) with you. 1 year is up, you're completely free.

Edit....Josh, here's another novel for ya....lolol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 08-13-2007, 02:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325TD
Quote:
I am 17 and i still totally agree with you, I wish they would have more classes on accident avoidance and instead of showing "keep your eye on the road" videos. It is soo pointless, I wouldn't mind having to take a few other classes as long as other would have to also. It's not me I am worried about it is others, and those others are what give young teens a bad rep. they need more classes on what to do if you lose control, and how to deal with winter weather. also i think once you reach a certain age like 70 they should enforce a mandatory road test every 5 years, because the elderly are just as dangerous.
While I agree with your sentiments accident avodiance training would be totally counter productive. The basic idea is that everyone obeys the rules of the road and then you wouldn't have to have that accident avoidance training.

Also for the boy racers it would give them the excuse to push that little bit harder as 'it's ok, I've had accident avoidance training and I know exactly what to do when I meet another car while i'm on the wrong side of the road, or put my car sideways'

Pirate is right. nothing bigger than 1.3L for first 3 years of driving, no matter what age you start at would be my suggestion.

My biggest problem with learners is that they are constantly told that speed kills. thats complete bollox. It not being able to stop in time that kills you. How often do you see people driving at the speed limit but tailgating the car in front. More emphasis should be put on stopping distance rather than speed. In England and in Ireland a learner doesn't even travel 1 mile on a motorway as part of their training. Of course the inevitable happens as they have no experience of changing lanes or estimating the speed of the car coming up behind them in the outside lane.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:32 AM
Dale Crane is the MAN!

Send a message via AIM to VTi
Mein Auto: 95 320i / 00 520i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfraser89 View Post
to be honest i'd LOVE to have some American Muscle, but over here in Aus they're pretty rare, especially cheap

Holdens and Fords is all we see, and I'm not overly impressed by them either.
Hey, I tore up the streets of Toowoomba when I worked for teh Holden dealership LOL

Everybody got reaaaaaaly anxious when a HSV GTO or a Clubsport came came in on delivery
Old 08-13-2007, 03:52 AM
BMW FETISH!!!

Send a message via MSN to DominguesE30
Mein Auto: `97 BMW 318is
LOL, well in victoria its 2 years on the Learners with a fully licenced driver, after that u do a written test and a driving test. After you pass both of them you get your probabtionary licence. How ever the law states that no turbo's, superchargers, v8's, high performace 6's (bmw 330, m3, ford xr6 ect ect) can be driven and under no circuimstances can the car have any modifications (no exaust, extractors, cold air intake ect ect)
Next year in july they are bringing in the Green P's before the Red P's which truely SUCKS!

Beeeeeeeee Eeeeem Double-YOU!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 05:37 AM

Dom or Cone. I a bit confused about political system in Australia.

does every state have it own government with it own laws? Is the Prime Minister something akin to a president?

Dom the laws in Victoria sound good to me. Wish we had similar here. Every weekend there are way too many young men dying needlessly.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:22 AM
Monacoblau mit beige

Mein Auto: '07 E92 330i Manual
In Norwich, England, you need only bend over the bonnet and pull down your trousers. The examiner will then inspect the status of your exhaust pipe (possibly the car's), and then the exam is over. I do not know this first hand, but it stands to reason that the in-bred capital of England is going to have procedures like this.

18" alloys - Sport seats - "Professional" Navigation - Bluetooth - DAB tuner - Extended interior light package - PDC
Heated front seats - Beige Dakota leather - Dark grey poplar trim - Anthracite headliner - Advanced loudspeaker system

Old 08-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Go you Good Thing

Mein Auto: e36 316I M
Quote:
Originally Posted by efanton View Post
Dom or Cone. I a bit confused about political system in Australia.

does every state have it own government with it own laws? Is the Prime Minister something akin to a president?

Dom the laws in Victoria sound good to me. Wish we had similar here. Every weekend there are way too many young men dying needlessly.

Yes mate. In Aust each State and Territory have different laws and Goverment. Believe it of not, there can be a vast difference between different state laws, and this is even more evident in traffic law.

Its not uncommon for laws (criminal) different states to be quite different.

A classic example of this is rules pertaining to round-a-bouts. In N.S.W. the law states that you must slow and prepare to stop and give way to any vehicle that has already entered and is travelling upon the round-a-bout. In the Australian Capital Territory A.C.T Canberra) the law states that you must give way to any vehicle on the right.

So what happens here is that you get ACT drivers entering N.S.W. round-a-abouts doing close to the maximum speed limit, albiet 60-80 kph and thinking they have right of way, when they dont.

In my opinon, its a recipe for disaster. NSW driver enters a round a bout as the first vehicle on the round a bout and has right of way, ACT driver comes from the right at 60-80kph thinking he has right of way....they crash...drivers door takes the impact......no need to say more.

Eash state and territory also has its own level of 'state goverment' and are run independently to each other.

Each state and territory has its own public service, police, fire, ambulance, prison and health systems.

THEN...we have the federal government that runs the country.

I personally think we are over governed.

NSW has very strict motor vehicle laws pertaining to young drivers. There has been a huge amount of young drivers getting there licence then getting in a car, driving like a d1ckhead and crashing, usally killing a few people.

In 2002 (from memory) the federal goverment attempted to introduce what call a 'national driving system', so all the major traffic laws would be the same in every state and territory, but the ACT and Northern Territory (N.T.) refused to accept them, and sine then, the other states have introduced traffic laws without informing the other states, so we are now back to squre one as they say.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know, happy to help.

Cone
XXX
The best predictor for future behaviour, is past behaviour. ALSO, IT SHOULD BE NOTED:......AMATURES BUILT THE ARK..AND PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC..................QUOTE FOR THE DAY.. Good drivers know how to get out of trouble, and better drivers know how to avoid it.....The Cone 2006 & 2007

Last edited by Conehead; 08-13-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:59 AM

Thanks cone. I was alway under the impression that there was a single goverment for the whole of Australia. Its funny how you can have the completely wrong idea for years and not know it.

In euro land they are trying to standardise the rules as well. Some of it is working suprising well especially the way they have started to standardise the road signs for all the countries.

I cant wait when they try to tell the English to drive on the right especially if it is a french minister saying it

Of course us Irish being the masters of diplomacy will suggest the compromise, everyone drive down the middle of the road
Old 08-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3

A joke

A wife rings her Irish husband

Wife: Darling, be careful on the way home, there was a story on the news just now about a bloke who is driving up the motorway the wrong way

Husband: One of them.....They are all at it

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: Hot air balloon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate_copy View Post
L = Losser (only kidding Dom)
L = Limited driving experience in Aussie land

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
No Avatar Vornado...are you not well?

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Quote:

A joke

A wife rings her Irish husband

Wife: Darling, be careful on the way home, there was a story on the news just now about a bloke who is driving up the motorway the wrong way

Husband: One of them.....They are all at it

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Quote:
No Avatar Vornado...are you not well?
I'm incognito

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Still here