Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 97 Turbo DSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post

I just watched that opening screen again.....
.....I think you're right.

DAMMIT!!!! And there is no way I'd trust a DSM w/ 16PSI on stock internals, it's gotta be upgraded. Man, that sucks...lol.

Hello, I'm a local DSM'er here to just clear some things up.

First, I'm not here to start trouble, just here to enlighten

Dsm's run 16psi stock, the 4g63 power plant already comes with forged internals. I run 21psi on my TD-06 20g as my daily driver, 15psi low boost.

2nd, I don't know why he is only running 16psi on a 56 trim turbo, as those turbo's don't even begin to make the power they can until 20psi.

My guess would be he doesn't have the proper fuel system in place, or he agreed to run lower boost for the race. My guess is #1, he most likely is untuned and doesnt have the proper fuel system.

Anyhow, Dsm's are not POS vehicles, and neither is the 4g63. No other 4 cylinder motor has been proven as this motor. It is the only 4 cylinder motor producing 140+hp per liter to this day.

The motor is not crap, the snap in quarter panels and doors are

Good day bimmer fans! Cheers
Old 08-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
How did you find out about this?

Me thinks there is a forum somewhere that is talking about us

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 AM
Still here

Also, what cars are we talking about here?

DSM?

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 08:37 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Pirate, DSM's are the Mitsubishi Eclipse/Eagle Talon's, I believe that's the 2nd gen ones. I can think of the body style just not what gen that was.

SCR, thanks for the info. I didn't think the DSM came with forged internals. Also, thanks for not being a d!ck. And the 16 on the 56 surprised me, but made me happy, because that means the owner has plans for even more power (I'd assume) so it sounded nice to me. Is the crank forged as well as the rods and pistons on the DSMs? Just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 97 Turbo DSM
Yep, forged motor.

It can withstand a pretty good beating, and what's even more impressive is the evo's version of the same 4g63. It's even STRONGER! The last Mitsubishi Owners Day there were evo's with GT35R turbo's running 28-30psi on a OEM motor but with methanol injection of course

The DSM version can withstand 400hp, but I wouldnt say it's as reliable as a daily driver shuold be with that much power. Things are bound to break when high performance is involved

And to the fellow that said this was linked, it was. Someone tried to make a fuss about it but 99% of DSM'ers are like me, good ol tuners with respect to enthusiasts only wanting to expand the horizons of the un-informed.

I want an E46 M3 on a side note...hahah
Old 08-14-2007, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCR View Post
Hello, I'm a local DSM'er here to just clear some things up.

First, I'm not here to start trouble, just here to enlighten

Dsm's run 16psi stock, the 4g63 power plant already comes with forged internals. I run 21psi on my TD-06 20g as my daily driver, 15psi low boost.

2nd, I don't know why he is only running 16psi on a 56 trim turbo, as those turbo's don't even begin to make the power they can until 20psi.

My guess would be he doesn't have the proper fuel system in place, or he agreed to run lower boost for the race. My guess is #1, he most likely is untuned and doesnt have the proper fuel system.

Anyhow, Dsm's are not POS vehicles, and neither is the 4g63. No other 4 cylinder motor has been proven as this motor. It is the only 4 cylinder motor producing 140+hp per liter to this day.

The motor is not crap, the snap in quarter panels and doors are

Good day bimmer fans! Cheers

Good post,by the way reason for 16psi is because bov leaks at 18psi. All the other supporting mods are there though. We all have different opinions on different cars so no need to get into it. I've been in and driven a couple of 3 series bmw's and they are nice cars. Didn't mean for this to become a bashing thread. Dsm's are not pos, any car is what the owner makes it.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCR View Post
Yep, forged motor.

It can withstand a pretty good beating, and what's even more impressive is the evo's version of the same 4g63. It's even STRONGER! The last Mitsubishi Owners Day there were evo's with GT35R turbo's running 28-30psi on a OEM motor but with methanol injection of course

The DSM version can withstand 400hp, but I wouldnt say it's as reliable as a daily driver shuold be with that much power. Things are bound to break when high performance is involved

And to the fellow that said this was linked, it was. Someone tried to make a fuss about it but 99% of DSM'ers are like me, good ol tuners with respect to enthusiasts only wanting to expand the horizons of the un-informed.

I want an E46 M3 on a side note...hahah
We we thank you for coming and clearing it up buddy, Welcome to the fest

As for the other bloke, lets thank god we dont go on your forum and p1ss you guys off....what right do we have??

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: '99 Eclipse GST
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Dude, who the hell are you to come on here and talk sh!t. Who's driving a POS Eagle?

Anyway, Supra's are DAMN good cars. DSM's are NOT 2JZ Supra's. DSM's can make power, but are NOT good engine's by my standards. I cannot see a DSM running 380 horses at 1.5bar for a daily driver. Perhaps for an occasional driver/weekend car, but unless the internals have been upgraded, I can't see it lasting long.
I didn't say they were slow, just that I wouldn't trust it at that high of pressure on stock internals.

Chill dude, and go back to dsmforums.
So yes, I saw this on a thread in a notorious DSM forum I'm on, and thought I should come clarify and support. Just so you guys don't think I'm trolling or came over here to bash all European enthusiasts...I'm HUGE with the VW/Audi camp in the area and have made it to the SFL GTG, VW Fixx, and helped host numerous events supported by them. I also have a passion for BMW's and have many friends who drive many generations of BMW's. So my knowledge in your scene isn't a novice level.

Anyhow, comparing a Supra to an Eclipse is about as worthless as classifying them in the same movie. Have you ever owned an Eclipse? Yes, even our DSM bretherens make fun of our own when it comes to reliability issues. I for one have purchased two Eclipse brand new straight from the dealership and have another turbo convertible, and not one of them have ever left me stranded.

My current one with a stock clutch(as of last weekend) held out numerous years of track events, numerous dyno runs, it's best 353.6whp on pump gas in 90 degree heat, daily driving to the grocery store, rice gatherings at Sonic, track days with the Corvettes, and making it to work on time every single day. Not to mention I can make over 400 miles in one tank of gas with a good amount of fuel modifications. I now have cams and another agressive tune which should put me near 380whp on pump gas at 22.5psi. Add methanol and race gas on 25psi and I'm sure I'll clear it by far. It's my only daily driver and as for luxuries, if I really wanted it, I would have a B6 S4, but I'm not comparing a BMW to an Eclipse for creature comforts.

I race my car on the road course many times and have been beaten by a handful of BMW's. But I also have beaten a handful of BMW's as well. Not to mention, I drive mine to the track, and drive home on the same day. A lot of the ol' school bimmers come on trailers at our track days and run on slicks, so not much luxury there if you really want to compare.

Thank God your opinion on our cars aren't slow, because my girlfriend's first kill in her convertible Eclipse was a BMW(her friends). That's with the top down and a $100 worth in mods, is a '98, and has even less miles than my '99...and still made it to work on time. I still love BMW's and don't think any less of them because I have a passion for anything that has wheels.

So you all have an idea of the Eclipse I drive, here she is...judge her however you wish...I'd still have more fun driving her than a BMW.

My luxury...

Finishing up this past weekend with the timing belt cover left to put on and fuel lines after dropping the motor...

At the track...

On the way to the grocery store...

I'm a trend setter, not a trend follower. I don't follow other footsteps. I create my own and lead the path for others to follow me.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 95 Eclipse GST
Hello all,

Well, since all my DSM buddies are joining I thought I'd join too. Particularly because I really like BMW's. I don't know much of anything about BMW's as far as what's under the hood, but my dream car is a black M5 with some kind of forced induction, window tint, and lowered (not ridiculously, just a little). Ever since I drove one my last visit to Cali, I've wanted one. Maybe I'll browse your forums now that I'm almost done with my Eclipse (which is not a pos btw, haha) and see what these things are capable of.

-Steve
Old 08-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Still here

What the hell happened to this thread hehehe

Welcome to Bimmerfest new comers!

What forum are you all from?

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
Guys we work hard to keep this forum rice-free. Stop posting the ricer $hit pls.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-14-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate_copy View Post
What the hell happened to this thread hehehe

Welcome to Bimmerfest new comers!

What forum are you all from?
Thanks for the welcome

We're from Team-2g
Old 08-14-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornado View Post
Guys we work hard to keep this forum rice-free. Stop posting the ricer $hit pls.
I like your car!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

I dont drive a car. I whip a slave who tows me in carriage type cart.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Still here

Check this out guys - http://www.team-2g.com/mitsubishi-ec...mw-forums.html

Apparently we are all f4gs!!

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to E36FewInNumber
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Old 08-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Still here

I think a cross car forum debate is great, i really do and it seems like most of you guys are cool

I apoligise if i have no real idea what your car is as we dont have them over here in the UK

A plea to BOTH sets of members. Lets not turn this into a slanging match shall we!! We both love our respective cars and there is no need for this to get ugly

Be nice!

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

I hate ferraris. I dont have one nor can afford one, so I hate them.. ALL OF THEM.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
I dont care what anyone says DSMs are fun. I wish BMWs were as cheap and easy to modify.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Check this out guys - http://www.team-2g.com/mitsubishi-ec...mw-forums.html

Apparently we are all f4gs!!

WTF? I'm sorry but BMWs are so much better then ricer POS cars, I was going to be nice but when the talk about us like that behind our backs thats fcuked up.

I would never give up my BMW for some jap crap.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36FewInNumber View Post
WTF? I'm sorry but BMWs are so much better then ricer POS cars, I was going to be nice but when the talk about us like that behind our backs thats fcuked up.

I'd give up my BMW for a giant moon-mounted "laser" that could blow up any city of my choosing!!

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-14-2007, 11:55 AM

well duh, I would too.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Quote:
well duh, I would too.
Dont copy my idea you &*#^$ sellout!!

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Still here

Quote:

WHAT DID I JUST SAY!!!!!

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
WHAT DID I JUST SAY!!!!!
sorry .