Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsg59_steve View Post
I'm sure you'll love this one, lol, I'm sure most of you have probably seen it.

Hahahaha, all I've got to say is that kid got what was coming to him.

Edit: oh that makes me shiver everytime...
Yeah i've seen that about 10 times. Funny thing was, he was being an idiot. I dont think the M3 driver really cared.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-14-2007, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 95 Eclipse GST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornado View Post
What if I have mustard running through my veins?
Then you should probably see a doctor!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
Quote:
Then you should probably see a doctor!
Then its a good thing I hate mustard!!

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-14-2007, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 Eclipse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate_copy View Post
I second that

I respect anyone who has a passion for cars, be it a BMW, DSM or Lada. As long as you have petrol running through your veins then you are welcome here
+1. If you have a passion for cars, like myself, then we will find a way to communicate. It might be point and grunt, but it's something. See, we all have something in common, a mechanical inclination, if you will. we like to get under the hood(bonnet for those in Europe) and figure out how things work and what they do. Therefore, we understand one another on a primal level.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazard View Post
+1. If you have a passion for cars, like myself, then we will find a way to communicate. It might be point and grunt, but it's something. See, we all have something in common, a mechanical inclination, if you will. we like to get under the hood(bonnet for those in Europe) and figure out how things work and what they do. Therefore, we understand one another on a primal level.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Video of BMW spanking a DSM

Old 08-14-2007, 03:36 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Haha, wow, lots of DSM guys here.

Welcome to all of you who recently joined who aren't here for arguments!
Really, I was just surprised at the guys who posted at the beginning talking crap for no real reason. I agree, we all do have the same passion so I'm cool with you guys.

Lunar,
Personally I don't care for the C/F trim inside or the wheels, but other than that, it looks great! And the work seems to be clean, so

TSG59,
Big ups to you on your car, looks clean, and not at all ricey. BTW, what I said was I didn't think a 350+HP DD DSM that got most of the power from the turbo would be a reliable long term driver, since you kinda got it a bit wrong on 2G

"To be fair, the bimmer guys really didnt start anything. Its when the forum troll decided to step in and spout off, is when things got started.

No wonder other car enthusiasts view alot of DSMers as little 16 year old kids. That forum troll just proved their point." -Slver972 on 2G.

Yes, DSMownsDTM was what really set me off and he was the one who came here to start stuff. Curious to know why exactly Sloww posted a video over here and then sent all of 2G to start hating on us. That's pretty immature, which is what a lot of us end up basing our opinions of DSM owners off of (people like Sloww & DSMownsDTM)

99dsm, you said you've spent about a third the cost of a Bimmer......
I'll let you in on a secret, the E36's are dirt cheap.......picked mine up for 4 grand after my Supra died.

So, with the exception of Sloww, who think's we're all ***'s and started this thread, and dsmowns who gives the appearance of a 10 year old throwing a temper tantrum, welcome DSM guys! Lol.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 PM
DSM Lover

Mein Auto: 99 DSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
99dsm, you said you've spent about a third the cost of a Bimmer......
I'll let you in on a secret, the E36's are dirt cheap.......picked mine up for 4 grand after my Supra died.
Sorry i was referring to a 30k for a 2003 bimmer as of 5 to 8k on a dsm + 2k for performance parts. That is how i was seen it. I have seen some BMW locally selling for cheap, that exactly why i joined this forum; so i can learn about the car and when the time comes i could buy one with copnfidence that i know fairly enoughf about them just incase i had any problems with it i could have an idea on what was wrong.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Hey buddy

Read the two 'sticky' threads at the top of the forum listing, gives you an idea of what you can do to a Bimmer (i dont go into FI as i am not a fan personally) plus the problems we have with our beloved bimmers hehehe

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 04:14 PM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dsm View Post
Sorry i was referring to a 30k for a 2003 bimmer as of 5 to 8k on a dsm + 2k for performance parts. That is how i was seen it. I have seen some BMW locally selling for cheap, that exactly why i joined this forum; so i can learn about the car and when the time comes i could buy one with copnfidence that i know fairly enoughf about them just incase i had any problems with it i could have an idea on what was wrong.
That's the beauty of it for us.......everyone naturally thinks of BMW's as 30k newer cars, so when you say you drive a BMW, they go "oooh". Lol. Even when they see it, mine and many other's on here are in great condition, so they still think they're somewhat expensive.

Anyway, these cars have their issues, the motor and manual tranny are damned strong and really don't have many problems. The little things are the one's that get you. They aren't exactly cheap to have them worked on, but not terrible either. The rear suspension seems to be the biggest problem. The auto tranny is built by GM, which says enough right there. The interior is also put together with Elmer's glue and Silly Putty w/ hard plastics everywhere, but other than that, its ergonomical. Good cars, though not without their problems. Personally i love the style the best of their features.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 08-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
I love that about Bimmers hehehe

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Go you Good Thing

Mein Auto: e36 316I M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate_copy View Post
I second that

I respect anyone who has a passion for cars, be it a BMW, DSM or Lada. As long as you have petrol running through your veins then you are welcome here

Im an Australian Pirate...I have alcohol running through my veins.....

Sweet Geeezzzuuzz.......dont thing heat up when us Australian go to bed. This thread was only a page long 12 hours agao.

Glad to see that both camps have come to a sort of'agreement'.

Cone
XXX
The best predictor for future behaviour, is past behaviour. ALSO, IT SHOULD BE NOTED:......AMATURES BUILT THE ARK..AND PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC..................QUOTE FOR THE DAY.. Good drivers know how to get out of trouble, and better drivers know how to avoid it.....The Cone 2006 & 2007
Old 08-14-2007, 07:09 PM
<----MY girl....

Send a message via AIM to jh1328
Mein Auto: e36 325i
i dont like cross-forum debates. they make me feel like it feels when chad posts nude pics of me on the internet. (p.s. im still mad about that)
Old 08-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to E36FewInNumber
Mein Auto: E46 330i
wow this took off, I was only gone a few hours.

btw, I take back what I said earlier, it was out of line. it just made me upset that people made fun of us for no reason, except for the fact that we own bimmers.

I am glad to see others takin interest in bimmers, and really if you look around they're not that expensive, picked mine up for $3500.

so I guess if your hear to support BMWs or autos in general then welcome, but there is no need to call one another f a g s.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:47 PM

No doubt. ^^^

Thanks guys, it was cool browsing your forums today
Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 PM
<----MY girl....

Quote:
No doubt. ^^^

Thanks guys, it was cool browsing your forums today
thanks.........NOW GET THE F*CK OUT!!! lol jk dude...glad you like our cars. thanks for being a sport
Old 08-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Go you Good Thing

Mein Auto: e36 316I M
One last thing, after looking at the DSM forum and speaking from experience (this is a little left field tho)..Im sure the DSM drivers would 'attract' a little more police attention than BMW drivers. (ducks for the flaming) BUT, I base this on my experience and (statisicly) there are more defects in higher modded (for want of a better term) ricers, than other makes of cars.

Just looking at the pics in the DSM forum I picked a few defects that in Australia (NSW) would get the car a red (not to be driven) defect notice (also, I dont know what USA laws are in effect and the cars MAY be legal there). Also, Im NOT saying in any way that BMW drivers dont have illegal mods on there BMW's BUT, as the price for perfomance parts for the DSM is cheaper, more wilder parts can be applyed, hence modded BMW's 'may' slip under the radar if you get the pun.

NOW, dont under any circumstance think I am flaming DSM cars, there drivers or there forum or anything, OK. It just my obsersvations.

I can say that in certain parts of NSW (Sydney) cars like the ones in the DSM forum ARE targeted by police because statisticly there are more illegal mods on them. Once again, this is not a put down or a flame, OK

Cone
XXX
The best predictor for future behaviour, is past behaviour. ALSO, IT SHOULD BE NOTED:......AMATURES BUILT THE ARK..AND PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC..................QUOTE FOR THE DAY.. Good drivers know how to get out of trouble, and better drivers know how to avoid it.....The Cone 2006 & 2007
Old 08-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1328 View Post
i dont like cross-forum debates. they make me feel like it feels when chad posts nude pics of me on the internet. (p.s. im still mad about that)
Who the hell are you talking about? Lol.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 08-14-2007, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 95 tsi awd
here you go e36phantom and platinum325

Last edited by dsmownsdtm; 08-14-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmownsdtm View Post
here you go e36phantom and platinum325
I would like to be the first person to say that this person in no way, shape or form represents any part of Team 2G. His behavior is reprehensible, childish, and completely unexcusable. Like the others have already said, you guys have a very nice forum here, and we're not trying to trash it up or trouble troll. We like learning about any and all cars.

Also, to Conehead, you are right. There are a lot of illegally modified DSM's floating around out there, and it's a lot harder in the USA to catch the ones that aren't legal, because the laws are so lax. And Honduh's make it that much worse. Chrome tail lights and coffee can mufflers do not a modified vehicle make, IMHO. Your cars are out of my price range, but that's because every time I pull into a lot to look at another car, my baby throws a fit and breaks something else, so that I have to fix her, lol. Oh, well. gotta pay to play, i guess. Again, thanks for understanding that the actions of one person don't reflect the opinionsa of our entire community!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:44 PM

E36, sorry I got it a bit wrong. I just kinda cruised through it the first time. Anyway though, my car makes most it's power on boost, daily driven, and I'll have exact numbers Friday It should be in the 350whp range though. I'll keep you up to date on how long it lasts haha.

And Conehead, I'm not sure what you mean by "illegal" parts. Stolen? Or just not up to emissions and all that. Because technically any modification to the intake system (ie. Turbo) would be illegal. Same with no cat, etc.

My engine bay, a few months ago, a little has changed now but I don't have any up to date pics:

Not much is stock there... and most of it wouldn't be "street legal". And there are definitely people running a lot more then I am, even on Team-2g. I'm a pretty basic setup, just a little shiny.

Last edited by tsg59_steve; 08-14-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 PM
<----MY girl....

mmmkay, back to your respective forums guys. thanks for stopping by. peace.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:16 PM
<----MY girl....

thats my nice way of saying "oooh i forgot this was the e36 and DSM jerkoff forum"
Old 08-14-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1328 View Post
thats my nice way of saying "oooh i forgot this was the e36 and DSM jerkoff forum"

Ok, dude, not sure what the issue is, but we are being respectful and I am pretty sure it wouldn't kill you to do the same. Steve is having a discussion with a few of your members about differences between cars, and I am researching on an automotive platform that I am unfamiliar with. We aren't harming anyone, and if one of your moderators asks us to please move along we'll be happy to do so. We weren't the ones bashing BMW's, nor have we in any way violated the forum rules(Yes, I read those too). So you don't like cross-platform debates? This isn't a debate anymore. There was trouble to begin with, but it has been squashed, so please don't revive it to soothe your pride, or make yourself feel special. We are just here to learn about your cars and to educate about ours. If that bothers you, I'm sorry for you. You can never know too much.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: '99 Eclipse GST
Not to break the ice on the seriousness, but I just realized that one of my coworkers used to be a DSM'r with a pretty potent AWD setup. Looooooooooooooong story short, he now drives a white '02 3-series BMW(sorry, I'm not keen on your generations).

But he was following me back to the city from a company outing at a lake and I watched him literally run over a full size dog(we think it was a chow mix/mutt) at about 60mph. It looked like a massive vaccuum cleaner from my rear view mirrors! Needless to say, he made out with just a broken grille, corner light, cobwebbed front bumper, and a dead dog. If that was me, I literally wouldn't have been able to make it home, with the FMIC being a dead-on target. BMW owned that puppy, and definitely made out better than I would have in my DSM.

Thanks everyone for the welcome, but I'll leave you guys alone from here on.

I'm a trend setter, not a trend follower. I don't follow other footsteps. I create my own and lead the path for others to follow me.
Closed Thread