Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 1976 '2002'
Back to OEM tails, now no left brake light!

Replaced the cheap Altezzas that were on my '95 318iC with some OEM tail lights. Now I can't get the left brake light to work. I know the bulb, bulb holder, etc is good. Tested with another known good OEM tail assembly as well. Then ran a jumper from the battery to the left brake light and it worked. My observation of the wiring shows that the right brake light is fed first, then the left. I'm thinking there maybe something wrong with the wiring and/or plug configuration at the left light? Maybe the previous owner moved the pins around in the plug? Here's what I have...

Left side (driver) tail light and plug:
Of the 8 possible, there are 7 pins existing on the tail light, with the right second from the bottom missing (as viewed from inside the trunk). On the corresponding plug there are 6 wires with the bottom and 2nd from bottom missing on the the corresponding right side.

Right side (passanger) tail light and plug:
Of the 8 possible, there 6 pins existing on the tail light, with both second from bottom pins missing (as viewed from inside the trunk). On the corresponding plug there are 6 wires with the left bottom and left 2nd from bottom missing on the the corresponding side.

Looking at the pictures, is this what everything is supposed to look like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Tail Light.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	117788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Taill Lght.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	117789  
Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 AM
1 canary

Mein Auto: 1998 323i convertible
Have you checked for continuity between the two sets of lights. There may be a break in the wire between the two and that is what stopped mine working when I did a similar switch.