Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 325I
Unhappy True Story: BMW Nightmare

Hello All....

My story goes like this...
I as well as most of you enjoy taking in the beauty that is the style and class of the BMW.
And I, as most of you are, at one point was looking most styleish in my BMW until about a little over a year ago. Situation is as follows.

I hit 19 years old, and had been saving money for a car. My father knowing this happpens upon seeing a 1993 325i BMW, for $5000. Calls me up and expels a speech about what a great opportunity it would be for me to buy this car. I oblige... 2 days later I am handing over a certified check and driving off in my nice 325i with 90,000 miles. I, mind you, believe I lucked out big. Boy did I ever. I discuss the details with my parents. Insurance coverage, Registration, and title. My father explains to me that per his insurance 'guy' getting full coverage on this year of a BMW would be a waste and I would be better off having only liability. (Worst mistake of my life) He also explains to me that I need to re-register the car in July ( I bought the car in March) So I drive around not a care in the world until.... July. I go to my local DMV and the woman behind the counter explains to me that it needs Smog. She tells me this shouldn't be a problem since in the state of california it is unlawful to sell a vehicle without smog. So I rummage through the papers in the glove department box that the prior owners left and paper after paper its not there. only 2003, ( 2 years prior to me buying the vehicle). So I call the DMV 1-800-hotline, I explain to the woman on the phone my situation, she states it is my responsabiltiy now and the prior owner would not be liable. Boy did my heart sink, at that point I wasn't sure what to do but I knew that it would cost buco dolares. So I decide hey... I'll take it to smog it probably will. WRONG. Fails horribly. Emission is whats really killin the smog. So then I go about my week, and BAM what happens? I get hit by a girl when I was avoiding a big piece of sh!t truck, who failed to give me the right of way at a 4 way stop. **Damage? T-boned right rear door. And the other door seems to be a bit qurky as well. Front bumper missing 2 lights, and is popping out a little.** We all pull over, the only person in the truck who speaks english convinces me its my fault and the girl is the only one able to get his insurance information. The cops never come.

- dun, dun, dun. wow my BMW problems are only getting worse.

Here we are a year later and the insurances went to Arbitration, I'm still drivin around with a messed up door, not so pretty bumper, but hey I was able to get a 2008 sticker from someone. So although I am doing something illegal, that situation is for now at bay.
Now to most of you BMW owners this all seems quite shocking I'm sure, and a bit 'WTF'. But I really am now sitting here scanning this forum for information on prices to fix my many problems. So lets see thats...

Passenger Front and Rear door (Rear the most)
Front Bumper
Air Conditioner Kaput (no air blows out - heard churning sound when I would turn it off b4 the Kaput)
Ailignment/Shocks/Suspension? (believe after hit mess'd up - going over a pot hole rear wheels pull to right)
Brakes? (Replaced in Oct 06' but when put foot on brakes at 45 over, jiggles)
Smog (Replaced 02' sensor but still running rich. Per people who fixed... try full tune up,
Never gave me the cost)

I can't get state assistance from California because I'm not the registered owner... its pending because no smog. Can we say catch 22? Look guys I only make $10 an hour and had my parents been able to afford to get me any kind of car, they would probably help. So I don't know what to do. I was hoping that one of you out there could give me any kind of advice, or could quote prices you know you paid for these type of problems. I would appreciate any output anyones willing to give.
Ads by Google
Old 08-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Spitfire

Mein Auto: 94' 318iS
Dude, good luck with youre car buddy ! I'm 3million% sure that the guys here at BimmerFest will help you out. No doubt about that ! I'm sorrey that I can't.
And again, Good luck !
Old 08-13-2007, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: bmw325i cab
gee what a mess you seem to have on your plate. So sorry about your car and best of luck to you. I don't understand why you would have to re register the car? I know things are different in CA, Would not the previous owner have had to have that smog thingy done inorder to transfer the ownership to you
anyway again best of luck
Old 08-13-2007, 07:23 PM
<----MY girl....

Send a message via AIM to jh1328
Mein Auto: e36 325i
ok theres a guy on ebay that i know sells loads and loads of stock e36 parts for really good prices. if you want his ebay store, just personal message me and ill give it to you. also, scour the classifieds of this forum and search ebay for parts-someones bound to have something. also, if you need a passenger door, just google search "e36 passenger door sale" and something is likely to come up. be patient, man...i know how you feel about not having much money and having a heck of a time with the bimmer. and honestly, if its gonna cost over like 1500 bucks to fix, i would just sell the car as a parting out and get something that runs well and is intact-i hate to say that, because owning a bimmer is a complete joy, but sometimes a wrecked one can cause more trouble than its worth. also, i have an a/c control unit i would give you for 10 bucks if thats whats broken, but i have a feeling its your HVAC. hang in there, buddy...
Old 08-13-2007, 07:31 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by joie_d_v View Post
gee what a mess you seem to have on your plate. So sorry about your car and best of luck to you. I don't understand why you would have to re register the car? I know things are different in CA, Would not the previous owner have had to have that smog thingy done inorder to transfer the ownership to you
anyway again best of luck
Yes, the PO *should* have, but it is "negotiable". The way it is worded is very open. It basically states "When transferring title of a car, it must pass an emissions inspection (SMOG II) unless it has passed within 90 days prior. If not, it is legally the seller's responsibility to provide the buyer with valid Smog certification, unless arranged otherwise."

Dude, you got screwed big time. First off, you can't even have it registered to your name without a valid smog certification. Basically, you never completed registration and the car is not registered to be driving on the road at the moment. If you look at the registration the DMV gave you, it should say at the top "***Incomplete Registration***" or something like that. You did take the title and paperwork down to the DMV and pay to have it registered right when you bought it, right?

Next, doesn't matter unless the car like worth 2000 bucks, I'd always run Full Cov'g. Yeah, it doubles my insurance, but its well worth it. You aren't covered if someone vandalizes or hits your car and you can't prove its their fault (as you are finding out).

Now, here's what you need to do. First off, scan your most recent smog results on to here, I'll help you out with what the problems are. Also, replace your air filter (use OEM) and spark plugs (use NGK Iridiums, per the recommendation of the most knowledgeable guy on this board (Pirate_copy)). Be sure that your car is fully warm, in fact, drive spiritedly some before th test, with the car completely warmed up (needle centered). Also, if you are stil worried about it, or it doesn't pass again, run your fuel tank almost out, then put a gallon of methanol in it about 15 mins before the test, and drive around a little bit. Then, take the cert paper down to the DMV and make sure the car registration is fully completed. It is sent in electronically direct from the shop so it may be automatic, but don't risk it. Take the paper and double check.

Get rid of your 2008 badges. NOW. That is illegal. When a cop stops you, he'll want to see your license and registration. The registration will show right there that the car is NOT registered, if he was paying attention at all he'll write you up for some kind of crime right there.

The shimmying when braking is probably just a failing bushing in your control arms or something similar. Wouldn't worry about it too much, but get it taken care of when you can. The a/c is most likely just the fan motor gone. If you don't mind DIY, you can take care of that yourself, or pay tons of labor.

So, post up your SMOG results and I'll see what we can come up with. Sorry for all this happening, but I'd recommend reading up on the ins and outs of buying a car on the CA DMV page now, and again before you buy a car next time. You did get screwed royally, but it was avoidable. Sorry dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 08-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to E36FewInNumber
Mein Auto: E46 330i
here is a website that should give you a good deal on bmw parts, and I believe the specialize in BMWs. also they are in Cali so maybe you can go over there yourself, idk how far away they are from you.

http://bmrparts.com/

also they have a ebay store that might have what you are looking for.

http://stores.ebay.com/Bavarian-Recycling-and-BMW-Parts

hope that helps, If you can't find what you are looking for there then hit up junk yards. don't go to a bmw dealer unless you want to lose all your money.

btw that SUCKS!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:36 PM
<----MY girl....

Send a message via AIM to jh1328
Mein Auto: e36 325i
even tho its a novel...yer boy is right. good post, chad. good advice
Old 08-13-2007, 07:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to E36FewInNumber
Mein Auto: E46 330i
It took me about 5 minutes to read, whew that's a lot!!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1328 View Post
even tho its a novel...yer boy is right. good post, chad. good advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36FewInNumber View Post
It took me about 5 minutes to read, whew that's a lot!!

http://www.ababasoft.com/wider_eye_span/scan.htm

You guys must really read every last single word! Twice! Lol.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 08-14-2007, 01:48 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Wow buddy, i dunno what to say...

I would give her a good service to try and reduce your emmissions

Have you tried to pull any codes to see if any codes are being held? It may explain why you are failing your smog tests

To run through the 4-digit code data on your car, put the key in the ignition and turn to the 2nd position, where all the cluster lights come on. Within a second, tap the accelerator pedal (fully) 5 times in rapid succession (total time about 3 seconds). The check-engine light will flash once and then turn off. It will then flash a certain number of times, turn off, flash another number of times and then do it twice more. If there are other codes it will then flash these. For example.... "flash... flashflash... flash... flashflashflash" would be a code of 1213 (whatever that is). If your car is telling you certain codes, you can crossreference these codes online and see if they mean anything's wrong. You will need to know the exact year and engine in your car when you search for a code list, as they differ by engine.

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 06:09 AM
Go you Good Thing

Mein Auto: e36 316I M
Wow buddy, you are in a bit of strife. I cant really help all that much with the smog and car trouble, but here in NSW Australia, if you were caught with a 'incomplete' registraion label (thats not ment to for that car) you would straight off the bat get a $734 fine for the rego. Then, most likely you would get a charge (arrested and taken to court) for the rego label thats affixed to the car illegally. The charge would most likely be something like 'lable calculated to decieve'. If found guilty you would be looking at a $4000 and if it was a second or more offence for the same kind of charge....jail.

I am sure by the sounds of things, the traffic laws there are fairly strict.

All I can suggest is get the car fixed and take the label off.

Cone
XXX
The best predictor for future behaviour, is past behaviour. ALSO, IT SHOULD BE NOTED:......AMATURES BUILT THE ARK..AND PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC..................QUOTE FOR THE DAY.. Good drivers know how to get out of trouble, and better drivers know how to avoid it.....The Cone 2006 & 2007
Old 08-14-2007, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 98 328i
In no way shape or form should you be thinking about fixing that damage. You are talking about a lot of body damage and you didn't even list "paint job". If you are talking about doing the suspension AND the air on top of all the body work, I think you are talking another 4-5K to fix it. That's crazy talk...

Sell it for $800-1000 and go buy a car that doesn't cost and arm and a leg to fix. FWIW, it only costs an arm if you do the work yourself. Buying an old BMW as your first car, without knowing how to work on cars, is not sound advice...Nothing against your dad, but you should have spent about 2K on a car and kept the rest for insurance and repairs and your next car. I hate to sound harsh, but I am a bit of a realist.

Everyone knows that your first car always gets crashed or blown up. Oooo, that sounds like a good topic for a poll!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Still here

Mine wasn't...lol

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 08:31 AM
I Am The Machine

My first car was in better cosmetic shape when I sold it that when I got it. The damn headgasket blew though (thank you Toyota) so I suppose I'm still a victim of that huh Ron?

Make sure to include different options for things that are non-user-error, no way I'm clicking on a button that says "I crashed my first car or it blew up"

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 08-14-2007, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 325i
Cut your losses and sell the car, seems like just too much things are happening. Accept you lost out on this one, and make it a lesson in future, and tell your parents about it too...

But of course, look at used parts and junk yards, to replace the parts at least the body panels. You could even be lucky and find the doors and bumpers in your car's color.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:26 PM

Hey Phantom,

Was that a Supra by chance?

I can click "add a poll" to the thread, but when I preview it i don;t see anything that looks like a poll. Will it just be there? Do I give it options 1-4?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Still here

You dont see the poll in the preview mate

As long as it is ticked, you get extra options once you click POST

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 02:12 PM
I Am The Machine

Ronpap,
Good call. 7M-GTE MkIII Supra. Grrrrr.
You have experience with them I take it?

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Vert Owners Do It Topless

Mein Auto: 1995 320i Convertible
A very warm welcome to the Fest. It is a shame that your introductory story was not a happy one.

I agree with some of the Guys to cut your losses. Sometimes what starts off as a small hole turns into a huge bottomless pit in which to pour your money.

Tough call this one but do not make any decisions until after you have read everyone's thoughts then take away what you will and hope it will be the right decision.

I wonder if they had these sorts of problems back in the days when they had horse and carts They should have had 'emissions' tests back then because, let's face it, it they may be blaming cars' emissions for affecting the ozone - cows, horses, sheep etc are just as much to blame. [Sorry, gone off on one there ]
E36 320i Convertible - Superchipped - K&N Apollo CAI - Green Stuff Pads - NGK Iridium IX plugs - Pioneer MP3 Headunit - JL Audio Kick Panel Speaker Pods - Wind Deflector - M3 Style Spoiler. 18" Bridgestone 225/40/R18. M Sport type Alloys as fitted on new E90. Alloy Billet Strut Brace, M3 type front bumper, M3 type rear Diffuser. Royal Purple. Hard Top.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Spitfire

No comment about the cows and horses emissions issue Bimmer Angel, LOL ! ! !
Good one though !
Old 08-15-2007, 09:48 AM

Phantom,
I used to hang out on a 300zx board and we had some Supra guys that would come in talk a little trash. I just remembered that it was a chronic problem that was "discussed" when short comings were thrown about.

Pirate,
Thanks. ill see if i can't thorw a pollup later today...
Old 08-15-2007, 10:47 AM
I Am The Machine

Yeah, would be interested to see a poll. And it was more than just a chronic problem. It was pure inevitability. I don't think there was one member on there that was turbo who hadn't blown his headgasket AT LEAST once. Many had two or 3 times before they decided to machine everything and go MHG. Great cars otherwise, but man that was a fatal flaw.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 08-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Spitfire

Was the HG too thin or deffective ? Or was it the head ? It can't be Turbo pressure, if it was then youre whole engine would be seriously damaged if it blew.
Just wondering. . .
Old 08-15-2007, 11:14 AM
I Am The Machine

It was the head bolt torque of all things.....
For the N/A engine, the measly 56ftlb's of torque specified for the head bolts held it together ok. For turbo engine, it just wasn't tight enough to create a good seal, and by 100k miles the HG was pretty much guaranteed to blow. Mine had blown once at about ~95k miles (which was before I got it) and completely rebuilt, top notch internals, etc. but still an OEM HG with OEM bolt torque spec. Then it blew again at 121k. That was when I had the mechanic I mentioned before do the job. And you all know that story.

The problem is that once it blows (which IS inevitable), if you simply replace with an OEM HG and stick everything back on there, chances are there are more inconsistencies in the smoothness of the head and deck of the block, and especially using OEM torque again, its practically a guaranteed failure again. Now, if you pull the engine, have it fully machined, have the head machined, etc, and put a good metal head gasket on, it should hold as much as you throw at it for as long as you want. There were guys making 700whp on daily drivers once they had their MHG's on with ARP hardware.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Still here

Further proof that a HG change is not as simple as taking the head off, replacing the gasket and plonking the head back on

I have seen it....trust me!

Edirty6 for life