Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-15-2007, 02:20 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
99 328i Roof Mount Antenna Question

Hey guys, my cousin has a 99 328i that she just got and it has the roof mounted antenna that's a few inches tall. Apparently, the base for it is cracked and it leaks through to the interior. So, I thought I'd see what you guys think is the best solution to fix it. What about shark fins? Are there working models for decent prices available for the E46, because I haven't come across any.

Also, the dealer told her to replace the antenna with another identical antenna would require them rewiring the whole thing... Was I right in telling her that was BS?
I'm considering going to a PickNPull and just trying to dig up one, there's gotta be an E46 with an antenna in there somewhere, right?

So, here's my solutution, I wanted to run it by you guys since I'm not familiar with the E46's. If we just undo her current antenna (BTW, how do we do that best?), stick a good rubber gasket around the hole, and get her a new antenna, will that be OK? I'd assume it would be easy enough to just plug the wires in, wouldn't it? Any help you guys could give would be great, TIA.

EDIT: Sorry for not searching first, I just looked around, but now I have another question:
That antenna there on the roof is NOT related to the radio, only for the car phone? Is that what seems to be coming up?
So she could just remove it all together and put a shark fin on that does nothing and the radio reception would be ok?
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana

Last edited by E36 Phantom; 08-15-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Black Mage

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Sedan
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=463177
Old 08-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
Well after reading the thread you posted Ill correct some of their mistakes.

First contrary to what is mentioned in that thread you can replace the gasket. The antenna comes completely apart and its very easy. Just pull it apart and take the old round gasket or the pieces to home depot or lowes and get a rubber washer thats the same size for a few cents. Then install the new gasket, its fixed.

Seeing how the shark fin thing they are sugesting mounts Id just replace the gasket since that would be less likely to leak than putting the shark fin over it.

If you decide you want the shark fin thing anyways then do the fix I mentioned and then put the shark fin over it so it wont leak
Old 08-15-2007, 11:49 PM

Oh and the pull it apart refers to using either wrenches or a pair of pliers to unscrew the sections of the antenna. If you look at it closely you will see multiple flat spots on it. Each of those is a section that can be unscrewed. Only hard part if there is any is being careful not to drop the antenna lead aka the bottom part into the roof while doing this but if you do its not hard to fish out.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:19 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Ok, cool. Thanks. Our big concern is just making sure that the current roof mounted antenna has NOTHING to do with radio reception, correct? Since she doesn't have the carphone, we can just snip the wires and pull it off and stick a fake sharkfin up there and nothing will be affected, right?

We may get just get the gasket though. That was my first thought as well, but apparently she didn't think before she acted and she had her and grandpa try to seal the entire rubber base thats like 2" tall with a layer of glue. Well, genius idea, it now looks like crap....so we're going to fix that. Perhaps we'll pick up a new base for the antenna tomorrow at the scrap yard or she may go for a shark fin, she's not sure yet.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 08-16-2007, 02:52 AM

Its strictly for a car phone and is only good in the analog frequency ranges anyways so pretty weak for any new model phones. Has nothing to do with the radio at all.

As for snipping it off, theres no real reason too. Just unscrew the antenna pieces and let the wire fall back in side the car. Wont hurt anything and if someday if the car gets sold you arent hurting the future buyer

As for the glue, the thing comes apart enough that cleaning the glue off completely probably wouldnt be a problem.

Its 3 pieces if I remember right but its been 6 months since I fixed mine so not sure.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to lancelot1959
Mein Auto: 2010 335D- E90
Fix for e46 roof antenna

I had the same problem with my 99 328i, I don't believe the dealers sell the rubber gasket by itself, so I decided to make my own with Permatex gasket maker.
First, I loosened the antenna using pliers and a piece of cloth to protect, the finished parts on the antenna. Next, I cleared the old rubber gasket, cleaned the surface and added the Permatex around the opening, I used enough silicone to get a good seal without having any spill around the base once I put it together, then just tighten everything back up and you'll be all set. This took me about 15 minutes to do.