Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 03-05-2003, 06:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 E92 M3, '03 330i ZSP
Question A few questions about the '04 330i Sedan...

I am looking to buy an '04 330i sedan, and I have a few questions. I really like the changes made to the front fascia for the '04 refresh, and I was wondering when the sedan will get the same treatment. September of this year, correct?

Also, is there a piece of trim that can be purchased for the front of the car that eliminates the 'integrated' front license plate bracket? Does this actually come with the car before it goes through make-ready, and then replaced by the front plate piece? I don't plan on running a front plate.

The color combo I want is Electric Red with Black leather. What color will my moldings be? I am hoping they will be body color like the pics I have seen so far of the refreshed coupe and convertible. Is Electric Red the bright red with the orange in it? Sometimes it is hard to tell from the pics of Imola and Electric which is which. I seek the orange-red color.

Will all of the non-performance pkg 330s still have 225hp? Also, I have read somewhere that all 330s produced after March of this year will have the 6-speed transmission. Is this correct?

My current car is a '98 Mustang Cobra. It has been a good car, but the build quality and dated platform have forced me to look elsewhere for a new daily driver. I like what I have seen so far of the '05 Concept Mustang, but have no desire to do any 'alpha-testing' for Ford.

Pic:

Sorry if these questions have been asked a lot, but I couldn't find the answers I was looking for in the FAQ or with the search function.

Thanks a lot,
Randy
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2003, 07:10 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
AFAIK there are no big cosmetic changes comig for the sedan since it was facelifted for '02 model year. It may get LED taillights like coupe got and probably adaptive head/brake lights.
Big changes are under the skin with 6 speed for 330i and SSG.

Front plate piece is very easy to replace and is ~$16 from the dealer.
Trim moldings on sedans are black.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Saph/Blk 330i
Randy, I don't know much about the 04's so I can't answer most of your questions, but I can tell you that a replacement strip for the front bumper is, or will be, available. Whether it's identical (same part #) I don't know---this has varied some from year to year and is different between the standard and sport bumpers. But what I really want to tell you is to make sure you tell the dealer NOT to screw the plate holder into the bumper, and that you will not accept delivery if they do. Many dealers do this, and most of us end up with two holes in the front bumper.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:34 AM

Smile Thanks a lot for the info!

F1Crazy,

Thanks for the answers. I could live with the black moldings I guess, even though I would prefer them to be body color. So the '04 Sedan will NOT recieve the same front fascia as the '04 coupe and convertible that are about to be released? Possible deal-breaker there...

xmas63,

Yeah, that was the thing I was trying to avoid with the front plate question. I wasn't sure if additional holes were drilled by the dealer. I hate when they do that - why can't they just throw the hideous bracket in the trunk for those who want it? Believe it or not, I was 'on the fence' about buying my current car back in '98, and I decided that the front plate bracket would determine if I would buy that car. It was not a car I ordered, so I was left at the mercy of the dealership that had it. Before I saw the car, I didn't know if it had the bracket already drilled and installed. It didn't, so I had to buy the car!

I am pretty picky, I must admit.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Re: A few questions about the '04 330i Sedan...

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyB
[B]I am looking to buy an '04 330i sedan, and I have a few questions. I really like the changes made to the front fascia for the '04 refresh, and I was wondering when the sedan will get the same treatment. September of this year, correct?
As said above, the sedan has already had its facelift. You can get the sport package, which will give you the (IMO) better looking front spoiler, or you can order the new performance package which gives you the M body kit... as well as a bunch of other goodies. I like the sport package spoiler better than the facelifted coupe spoiler... and I personally think the M kit is the best looking spoiler out there!

Quote:
Also, is there a piece of trim that can be purchased for the front of the car that eliminates the 'integrated' front license plate bracket? Does this actually come with the car before it goes through make-ready, and then replaced by the front plate piece? I don't plan on running a front plate.
My car was delivered with both a strip (no plate) and a plate bracket. I told them to go ahead and attach the plate bracket because MA requires it, and I don't want to take chances with the cops. When you order the car, just be sure to mention that you don't want the plate bracket installed. Should be a no-brainer.

Quote:
The color combo I want is Electric Red with Black leather. What color will my moldings be? I am hoping they will be body color like the pics I have seen so far of the refreshed coupe and convertible. Is Electric Red the bright red with the orange in it? Sometimes it is hard to tell from the pics of Imola and Electric which is which. I seek the orange-red color.
Black moldings, unfortunately. Of course, you can have them painted. You'll get mixed reactions on that one here... but others have done it. I don't think it would cost too much to do.

Quote:
Will all of the non-performance pkg 330s still have 225hp? Also, I have read somewhere that all 330s produced after March of this year will have the 6-speed transmission. Is this correct?
Standard and sport package 330i's will hace 225. The performance package 330i's will have 235, 10 more horse from the cams and other minor tuning. Not sure about the 6-speed timeframe.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 03-05-2003, 10:18 AM
Revelation 10:7

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
The 330i comes with three basic front bumper configurations.

The 330i Non-Sport car looks almost identical to the 325i bumper, which can be seen here.

The 330i Sport Bumper looks much better, in my opinion. You can see it here. This bumper is known as the M-Aero.

The 330i with the Performance Package has the M-Technic Kit (which I have also heard called the M-AeroII). It can be seen here.

All of these cars have the Tag Bracket on the front, and all can easily be removed. Although, I have heard of some people with a 325i or a 330i Non-Sport getting holes drilled into their bumper. A coworker at my office has this problem. The dealer screwed the two bottom holes right into his bumper. Fortunately, when I had my 325i I did not have this problem.

Also, if you dislike the bumper on you car, it is possible to buy the bumper and the extra hardware and have it put on your car. Many people are huge fans of the M-Technic Kit. They purchase it, have it painted and then install it onto their cars.

Also, if you go to www.e46fanatics.com and do a search for Painted Moldings, you will find several people who have done so.

Last edited by GSR13; 03-05-2003 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:36 AM
SPF 100 Protection

Mein Auto: truck
Quote:
Originally posted by GSR13
The 330i Non-Sport car looks almost identical to the 325i bumper, which can be seen here.

Nice post, and thanks for the plug
Old 03-05-2003, 10:48 AM
SPF 100 Protection

here is (first pic) 330i non SP and (2nd pic) a 325i SP/non SP they are the same for the 325i, just to show the bumpers are slightly different

330i

325i
Old 03-05-2003, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GSR13
The 330i comes with three basic front bumper configurations.

The 330i Sport Bumper looks much better, in my opinion. You can see it here. This bumper is known as the M-Aero.

The 330i with the Performance Package has the M-Technic Kit (which I have also heard called the M-AeroII). It can be seen here.

All of these cars have the Tag Bracket on the front, and all can easily be removed. Although, I have heard of some people with a 325i or a 330i Non-Sport getting holes drilled into their bumper. A coworker at my office has this problem. The dealer screwed the two bottom holes right into his bumper. Fortunately, when I had my 325i I did not have this problem.

Also, if you dislike the bumper on you car, it is possible to buy the bumper and the extra hardware and have it put on your car. Many people are huge fans of the M-Technic Kit. They purchase it, have it painted and then install it onto their cars.

Also, if you go to www.e46fanatics.com and do a search for Painted Moldings, you will find several people who have done so.
Wow! Thanks a bunch for the breakdown. I can get three different front fascias depending on the vehicle trim, just not the one that I want! It seems odd to me that they would do this. And why do they paint the moldings on the two-door car, and not on the four-door?

A little off-topic, but when is the next-gen due to arrive? '05 or '06? I'm not a big fan of some of the very latest BMW models(especially the Z4), and it looks like that trend will continue. The side of the new Z4 looks really suspect, and the rear of the newest 7 troubles me greatly. Anyone else worried? The current 3 series is a very beautiful car - I hope it stays that way!
Old 03-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Why can't we get Diesels?

Mein Auto: V70R, JGC, MCS
Quote:
Originally posted by tgravo2
here is (first pic) 330i non SP and (2nd pic) a 325i SP/non SP they are the same for the 325i, just to show the bumpers are slightly different

330i

325i
Honestly, why even bother? They could just make one and save tons of money logistically.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:07 PM
SPF 100 Protection

Quote:
Originally posted by mbr129
Honestly, why even bother? They could just make one and save tons of money logistically.
That's what I say, but I guess to have some difference b/w the 2
Old 03-05-2003, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mbr129
The difference between the 325i and 330i Non-Sport bumper is nothing more than a piece of trim. In fact, if you have a 325, you can order that trim and install it on your car.

I would say that it costs BMW very little to do this and does distinguish the two slightly.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyB
Wow! Thanks a bunch for the breakdown. I can get three different front fascias depending on the vehicle trim, just not the one that I want! It seems odd to me that they would do this. And why do they paint the moldings on the two-door car, and not on the four-door?

A little off-topic, but when is the next-gen due to arrive? '05 or '06? I'm not a big fan of some of the very latest BMW models(especially the Z4), and it looks like that trend will continue. The side of the new Z4 looks really suspect, and the rear of the newest 7 troubles me greatly. Anyone else worried? The current 3 series is a very beautiful car - I hope it stays that way!
Even before the E46 Sedan got the facelift, the front bumpers were never the same as the Coupe. In fact, the Coupe and the Sedan share very little when it comes to exterior components. Even the M-Tech Kit is different for the Coupe vs. the Sedan. If you look at the Coupe, it has no Trim on the Front and Rear Bumper, only down the side. So, there is nothing to paint on the front and rear. I would imagine they paint the side trim, since there is no trim front and rear.

For what it is worth, you can remove all the trim on the Sedan and take it to a body shop and have it painted. Most people seem to get this done in the neighborhood of $400.00. Not bad, if that is something you really want.

The next generation 3-Series will be known as the E90. The current generation is known as the E46. This will be a complete redesign of the car, not simply a facelift or update. Some pictures have been released and they heavily camouflaged. But, from what I have seen, it does not look pretty. At any rate, the E90 Sedan will probably be a 2005 Model Year released at the end of 2004. The E90 Coupe will probably be a 2006 Model Year released at the end of 2005.

Also, the new Facelift on the Coupe, which debuts in the next month or so, will be a 2004 Model Year.