Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-21-2007, 11:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bm.reno
Mein Auto: BMW 328is
Suspension Upgrade

I have an e36 328is. I want to redo my suspension. I found a kit on pelicanparts.com with Bilstein struts and Eibach springs. I have seen that alot of people are doing h&r springs. Since some of you might have already redone your suspension i would like some input.
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328is
well i dunno about eibach but bilstein is the way to go for sure!
i'm going to get some h&r springs as i have stock on me e36 right now..
btw understeer has lower price on h&r springs...
Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 PM

Oh im going with Bilstein for sure, its just a debate between eibach and H&R.
Whats understeer?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:00 PM
M status achieved!

Mein Auto: 94 325i, 98 Protege
Springs are really a personal preference, and so are the dampers. Bilstein sports are great with lowered springs, but so are Koni's. Eibach and HR have BOTH been making springs for a very long time and I would say their quality is about equal. Likewise with Bilstein and Koni. It's all personal preference and what you want your car to ride/handle like.

Personally, I have not used either on MY BMW, but I've read the Koni's are a tad stiffer (the sa's at least) than the Bilstein, and the Eibach's are a tad softer than the HR's. Of course, that all depends on the version of spring you get as well.

There are many other reputable companies making suspension components for our cars, so don't limit yourself because they all have their drawbacks. So in the end of it all, take a ride in someone's car who has the suspension your looking to buy and see if it does what you want, because no one is going to be able to tell you what is right for you except for you.

Oh...

WWW.Understeer.com
Old 08-21-2007, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonf860 View Post
Springs are really a personal preference, and so are the dampers. Bilstein sports are great with lowered springs, but so are Koni's. Eibach and HR have BOTH been making springs for a very long time and I would say their quality is about equal. Likewise with Bilstein and Koni. It's all personal preference and what you want your car to ride/handle like.

Personally, I have not used either on MY BMW, but I've read the Koni's are a tad stiffer (the sa's at least) than the Bilstein, and the Eibach's are a tad softer than the HR's. Of course, that all depends on the version of spring you get as well.

There are many other reputable companies making suspension components for our cars, so don't limit yourself because they all have their drawbacks. So in the end of it all, take a ride in someone's car who has the suspension your looking to buy and see if it does what you want, because no one is going to be able to tell you what is right for you except for you.

Oh...

WWW.Understeer.com
+1
Old 08-21-2007, 01:11 PM

Thanks for all the help! Thats great advise, I know what Im looking for so I think i just need to do some research.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 98 328i
How many miles are on the suspension now? Is something flopping around when you hit a bump? How much stiffer do you want the car to be?

Bilstein makes 3 different shocks for the car. Touring which are the softest, HD, for heavy duty, which are stiffer and Sport which are stiffer and shorter. Im sure you are looking at sports, but don't forget to check.

I have the Koni adjustables with Koni(eibach Im told) springs. That coupled with solid front and rear control arm bushings and I feel every little crack in the road. I've killed that nice comfortable ride, but I am leading the points in my SCCA region :-) I actually picked up a set of m3 springs and am currently looking for a good deal on sway bars (leaning toward UUC). Im trying to back it off the of the extreme stiffness I have it at now for something stiffer than stock, but not the eyeball pounding Im getting currently.

Tell us what it is doing that you don't like and we can give you better info.

If you just hate the car rolling over in the corner go with a set of sway bars.

If the suspension is stock and have 160K on it and it feels like a marshmallow at 80 mph, then yeah, it's due for an overhaul.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:32 PM

I've got 113,000 miles on it right now. I'm looking to lower it and i do want a stiffer suspension. I definetly want to get the sway bars, i was looking at eibach before but just checked out the uuc and i really like those. I would love to get the koni suspension but i think its a bit too expensive for me.
I was looking at the Bilstein sport shocks. I found a suspension kit on pelicanparts.com which is only $1200 it seems like a good deal.
I'm new to this whole thing. My brother is the one who got me in to cars and despite being a girl, and going against the typical stereotype, I want to know how my car works and i want to do all the upgrades myself. Any help in achieving this would be awesome!
Old 08-21-2007, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3 Dinan / e70 X5 35
I have H&R springs w/ Bilstein Sports and like the setup on my e36 (although no experience w/ the other brands you mentioned). After everything "settled" in I'd say it dropped the car ~1 - 1.5". The setup was a bit harsher than stock but I never thought it was too bad.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:55 PM

i have heard a lot of good things about H&R i think that they are pretty comparable with Eibach. I want mine to be about 1-1.5 inches lower as well.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 AM

I scored the Koni Sport adjustable kit off Ebay for right about 550 delivered... I think the Bilstein kit was about the same price or like 100 extra. Definitely check around for prices! Unless you are loooking at the Bilstein coilover kit. I think I would stay clear of that unless you plan on making this a track car...

Here is the kit on EBAY. I noticed it doesnt say for 328is, so you may want to check with them. $612 for this, $350 for the UUC sway bars, dont forget to get new rear shock mounts ($35 more bucks on ebay) and you have a whole new suspension for 1000 bucks...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILST...spagenameZWDVW

Oh, BTW, the reason I asked if you have anything flopping around is that an old control arm bushing up front can give you a similar feel to a worn out strut. Do you have the records and do you know when those were done last? If they are the originals with 116K on them you will want to replace at least them, maybe the whole control arm and tierods...
These are the bushings and the can easily be inspected with a jack from each side of the car (behind the front wheels). Just apply some pressure to the control arm with the jack and see if any of the rubber separates or how old they look.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:02 PM

Ok thanks for all the help! I know i just had my alignment done and they said that i did need new front struts but that could just be the shop talking.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:36 AM

Sure they didn't say control arms? Typically "slop" in the control arm area (ball joints or that bushing) make the alignment difficult to nail down. Unless he can see fluid coming out of the strut I am not sure how he could determine the struts were bad from putting it on the alignment rack!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:08 AM

He said struts but like i said who knows if he was just trying to get some more money from me. Ill have to check it out myself
Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 AM

Well I am sure you have had your fair share of "suggestions" from mechanics that they would not throw at a guy. I swear I see dollar signs in mechanic's eyes when my wife takes her car to the shop. She calls me all the time asking if she needs an $80 injector cleaning...no? How about the $30 Windsheild wipers? no? $20 air filter? uh, no.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:41 AM

well, I mean you've already made up your mind to get the struts change anyways...i guess there's not really any difference if the mechanic tells you your struts have problems or not. But I guess the key is you want the mechanic to do it or you wanna DIY. That's where the real difference is
Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpapworth View Post
Well I am sure you have had your fair share of "suggestions" from mechanics that they would not throw at a guy. I swear I see dollar signs in mechanic's eyes when my wife takes her car to the shop. She calls me all the time asking if she needs an $80 injector cleaning...no? How about the $30 Windsheild wipers? no? $20 air filter? uh, no.
well my wipers from bosch...actually cost more than $30...i think it was around $40 for the pair. But it was well worth it...
the other wipers causes the studdering on my mazda...even if they were new...but bosch...was quiet and clean as well...

as for the other things mentioned...no comment.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
This is unfortunately true.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
I have been to that mechanic...he works for my local stealer

Joking aside, i know exactly what you mean

As for those Bosch wiper blades, i have them too and they are amazing but i got what Ron was trying to say

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-27-2007, 05:23 PM

Thats the whole point, they will give you these ridiculous prices and expect you not to know the difference.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
I love going to my local stealer, asking how much a job is then telling them exactly how to do it and enquire why they charge so much...spins them out

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-27-2007, 05:26 PM

haha! That would be fun.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:09 PM
M status achieved!

Mein Auto: 94 325i, 98 Protege
Dealer price for 1 replacement wiper insert.... $18.... Autozone Bosch (oem brand) thinline replacement wiper insert $3.00

Taking my brand new inserts to the dealer and asking if they want to stockpile them for $8 each....

PRICELESS
Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: '07 335i & '99 323is
I'd also suggest considering UUC Tuned Suspension. It's a Sachs Performance kit of matched shocks and springs. I recently got it installed and been very happy so far. Very compliant ride, and feel great in an autocross.

Dave