Leak in '07 335 Conv - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: .
Leak in '07 335 Conv

Hey everyone!

I ordered my 335 conv back in March, and it finally arrived about 3 weeks ago! I absolutely love it, it's beautiful! Unfortunately it's been leaking horribly! It leaked about a week and a half ago when we had a bad storm. I got out of a massage and water was everywhere! I went straight back to the dealership, they ordered new (I call it weather stripping) for the seal on top of the windshield. Apparently that didn't solve the problem. NOW they said they are going to re-do the seals on the side. This dealership has had my beautiful car since Monday (it's Thurs night now), and said I will be lucky to get it back on Monday. I'm incredibly frustrated.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? If so, what was done to resolve this problem and how long did it take them?

Thanks!

Sandy in St. Pete, FL
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 11 BMW 335is E93
I've got construction at my house which has left me with no access to my garage for a week plus. My car has been on the street and we've had some fairly bad weather (I can't complain, it isn't a hurricane.) I was really worried I would find water in the car and I was happily surprised that I couldn't find a drop.

Andrew
2010 Honda Civic LX
Old 08-23-2007, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 12/06 Production E93/335
they've had to replace the A-seal twice on my roof.
No leaks recently.

I understand it's a new roof, and nothing is perfect, but for the money you're spending, I understand you want it to be perfect "out of the box".

I'm sure they'll fix it.

If you have the same problem three times, lemon it.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:53 PM

They still have my car. It's been over a week now. "A-Seal" I wonder if that's what they ended up replacing on my vehicle.

You're right...with this kind of money I really did expect it to be perfect from the factory. I need to learn to be a little more patient.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Great, they called. Replaced all the seals. Still leaks. They called BMW, and some engineers... no clue exactly what the problem is. This sucks. I miss my car!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Advocate de diabolo

Mein Auto: 330xi '04, X5 35d '11
Do you think you would consider the option of lemoning? After a month in the shop, or three times for the same problem, you might want to consider it, are you leasing or owning? If owning, you don't want to worry about leaks every time it rains.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:08 PM

We bought it. I'm so frustrated. I called my attorney, but he doesn't do that sort of thing. ...so I'm not exactly sure what to do now.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: Electric Red '02 330CiC
Florida's Lemon Law:

http://tinyurl.com/9453t

Tom

"Send lawyers, guns and money/The sh*t has hit the fan"
Old 08-29-2007, 05:05 PM

Thank you Tom!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:22 PM

So it looks like after 15 days of being in the shop I fire off a letter to BMW and the attorney general. They've had the car since the 20th...so the clock's ticking. I'm just kind of confused as to who I sand the letter to at BMW...

If the vehicle is in and out of the authorized repair shop for repair of one or more different problems for 15 or more cumulative days, the consumer gives written notification of this fact to the manufacturer (not the dealer), by certified, registered or express mail. Check the warranty book or owner's manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: Electric Red '02 330CiC
If the warranty info in your owners manual doesn't tell you specifically what person (or title of person) you're to address your letter to at the mfg's address, send it to the address the manual gives you and put:

"Re: Notice Under Florida's Lemon Law"

right above the "Dear Sir" (or whatever) in the body of of your letter. That should get somebody's attention.

Tom

"Send lawyers, guns and money/The sh*t has hit the fan"

Last edited by tdd; 08-29-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:16 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert/14JGC/ 17Outback
Sandy:
Sorry to hear your beautiful new ride is leaking and it does rain hard in St Pete. Mine is leak free and it seems strange that any of these leak. I know they litterally drown these cars with water before leaving for the delivery center. All I can say is something might have jossled the top and if leaks.

Keep the faith you will get this resolved.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:48 AM

Thanks for your kind words Brad. I've been so upset about all fo this I didn't want to email you back and have the whole email only be me venting about my car! This whole thing has just put me in such a bad mood. I'm already talking about possibly getting rid of it and getting a coupe, then later on replacing Johns car with the conv. Again, I'm sure that's just me venting, and when it get fixed I'll be happy as a clam, lol.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
Hey everyone!

I ordered my 335 conv back in March, and it finally arrived about 3 weeks ago! I absolutely love it, it's beautiful! Unfortunately it's been leaking horribly! It leaked about a week and a half ago when we had a bad storm. I got out of a massage and water was everywhere! I went straight back to the dealership, they ordered new (I call it weather stripping) for the seal on top of the windshield. Apparently that didn't solve the problem. NOW they said they are going to re-do the seals on the side. This dealership has had my beautiful car since Monday (it's Thurs night now), and said I will be lucky to get it back on Monday. I'm incredibly frustrated.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? If so, what was done to resolve this problem and how long did it take them?

Thanks!

Sandy in St. Pete, FL
That sucks. I have washed my car with water - no leaks yet, but until the rains come I won't know for sure.

I hope you leased the car. Strike that, I see that you bought it. Be patient, it will get fixed or you'll get a new one. And don't give up on the vert - it is way too much fun to be topless.

Last edited by sctazmon; 08-30-2007 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:21 AM

Thanks! Trying to hang in there. Now we're playing with the idea of getting rid of the conv....getting a coupe or sedan (w/ another 335). Then when it's time to replace hubbies car (2yrs or so) getting a convertible again. I've actually been losing sleep over this. Incredibly frustrating.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:24 AM

I think I would feel better if my loaner car was as nice as the one in the shop too. They put me in a 06 325...with NO extras ... base model is no fun. And I'm almost positive it needs a rotation or new tires b/c me Jeep provided a quieter ride!!!!

So EVERY tiem I get into the loaner I get even mroe mad/frustrated with all of this.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
Whenever I have a problem with my (fully covered under warranty) BMW, I always log onto the internet first before taking it to my qualified dealership.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-30-2007, 03:41 PM

Well, Tomorrow is day 10 for my conv. being in the shop. I'm finally having a decent conversation with someone from this dealership. Initially they were nothing but a thorn in my side. ...they are at least returning my phone calls now. The service manager seems to be a really good guy, so we'll see what they have to say. My husband is flying in tomorrow so we can all sit down and have a meeting. I just want them to order me a new freaking car. It seems as if I got a bad egg...no one else seems to be having the same issue!!
Old 09-04-2007, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Convertible
I just received my convert last week friday and today I tested it by going thru a touchless car wash and mine leaks in 4 separate places. The front joint on the passenger and driver doors right above the windows and in the back window on the joint. I sat there and watched the water leak into the car. Not fun!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:00 PM

toofast4u; sounds like a problem with the seal. They replaced mine twice.

Unfortunately, since I've had my E93-335:
I have no cup holders in the rear seat centre console
the power outlet in the dashboard console doesn't work *2 days in shop + 5 days in shop
two leaks in the roof, two different times (I think they fixed it now) *5 days in shop
BMW assist not working *2 days in shop
Alternator belt disintegrated/Power Steering pulley and Idler pully cracked now 7 days in shop and counting
Coming up on almost 4 weeks (culmulative) without my baby during the summer
If I'm not entirely happy with the compensation, I may go to small claims court to recover 10K (limit for Ontario, Canada), or may even go simplified rules for the full amount of the lease. I doubt it is going to get that far, as the dealership is being really nice, so far, and waiting to see how long it'll be before the parts get here from germany.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 AM

Well, Bert SMith STILL HAS MY CAR!!!!!! This is driving me insane!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:32 AM

Kalch- you said you weren't happy with your compensation so far... What ahve they given you?

They mad a payment for us, that was it. Deosn't make me any less pissed off!
Old 09-05-2007, 06:18 AM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
Thanks! Trying to hang in there. Now we're playing with the idea of getting rid of the conv....getting a coupe or sedan (w/ another 335). Then when it's time to replace hubbies car (2yrs or so) getting a convertible again. I've actually been losing sleep over this. Incredibly frustrating.
In my opinion, the coupe or sedan are both better looking vehicles than the 'vert. And they all come standard with big sunroofs. You could probably get your dealer to replace your car with a coupe or sedan without costing you a penny due to all the trouble you've had with the convertible.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 AM

i am speaking with the dealership/BMW Canada next week to finalize compensation/remedy to this. There is some other stuff about the car that I didn't mention, like they leased me the vehicle that was used at the largest North American auto show without telling me, and the vehicle was sitting somewhere for 6 months without being turned on, etc. My guess is thousands of individuals were in and out of that car, pushing buttons, stepping on clutch, ramming the gear box, etc.

If I knew what I was getting myself into with this display car, that would have been different, however, I discovered and proved the history of the vehicle by being on forms such as this and others.

I, too, am pissed. But, the important thing to remember, and do keep this mantra, that being nice to the guys at the dealership and corporate will get you a helluva lot further than screaming, kicking, yelling, crying. I was angry at the beginning. Not anymore, I'm just going with the flow, and, in fact, joking with the guys about how screwed up the car is. Be nice, it'll get you further.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: SLK350/335XI/325XI
Hello,

I know how you feel about this.... I had the same issue happened to me on a coupe several years ago. When I took delivery of the brand new BMW, there were some speckles on the driver side windows. They had to replace the windows. However, when the dealers did the replacement, they also removed the original seals. Eversince that day, I spent about 12 times bringing the vehicle into the shop as because no matter how many times they resealed the door, water always leaked in....some times puddles on the carpet after the rain. And it wasn't even a convertible.

The best thing for you to do is to leave the car with them and be patient BUT in the mean time research the lemon law and contact a lawyer. They are going to fight you until dooms day for this....so be prepared!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search