Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-24-2007, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Lighting Upgrade Help.

I want to replace all of my lighting with something else. This may be a foreign phrase for BMW owners but I don't want to spen a lot of money.

I was searching and came across THIS
Is this a respectable site and product?
Even if they don't know headlights from taillights (Look in picture.)
Thank You.

P.S To update from my "Engine Troubles" topic, we've struck off any ignition, vacuum, and fuel problems from the list and narrowed it down to a valvetrain problem. I am now pretty sure this would be the problem causing a misfire and unburned fuel to move through the exhaust. My only guess would be the driver (Mr. Mis-shift) did exactly as his nickname implies and bent the valves of cylinder #5. However I am not 100% sure because it's hard to notice such a thing when you have the CDV installed and the radio up. I did not personally watch his every move like every BMW owner should do when a friend drives their car.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Go you Good Thing

Mein Auto: e36 316I M
So, in relation to the engine troubles, you have discounted a 'bkoken down 'plug and dodgy leads??

Cone
XXX
The best predictor for future behaviour, is past behaviour. ALSO, IT SHOULD BE NOTED:......AMATURES BUILT THE ARK..AND PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC..................QUOTE FOR THE DAY.. Good drivers know how to get out of trouble, and better drivers know how to avoid it.....The Cone 2006 & 2007
Old 08-24-2007, 10:36 PM

Ignition is all good.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Go you Good Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiesox View Post
Ignition is all good.
Cool.Thats fair enough, and I dont want to harp on the subject, but when you tested the ignition, you did test each individual plug, cause if there is a plug thats breaking down (may only do so under load) it will cause a mis fire.

If you have done this, cool...

Cone
XXX
The best predictor for future behaviour, is past behaviour. ALSO, IT SHOULD BE NOTED:......AMATURES BUILT THE ARK..AND PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC..................QUOTE FOR THE DAY.. Good drivers know how to get out of trouble, and better drivers know how to avoid it.....The Cone 2006 & 2007
Old 08-25-2007, 01:57 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Whats your address? I have a baseball bat here i want to send you

Instructions for use

1 - Remove all packaging
2 - Admire product
3 - Invite 'friend' around for a beer
4 - Take friends head off with product
5 - Hit self in head with product and NEVER lend your car to a friend with a name like Mr Mis-Shift again

Anyway, back to the question....

Those lights are hideous matey, i am sorry. Thats my opinion out of the way...

Do you want new lights for better lighting or to look better when turned off?

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-25-2007, 09:38 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Hey, huge NO on those lights. They're likely very poor quality, I can give you a near guarantee they'll have piss poor light output, and they look terrible. Lol. Seriously, you won't be happy with them in a few weeks after buying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 08-25-2007, 10:53 PM
E36 Generation

Send a message via MSN to Drummerboi
Mein Auto: BMW
y not just get the one-piece angel eyes....much more easy to deal with and easy to install...just my thought....lol..
Old 08-26-2007, 12:24 AM
I Am The Machine

^Watcha mean?

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 08-26-2007, 05:21 PM

I was expecting such opinions. I wouldn't trust them all that much either seeing the quality of those are probobly that of the editing job done on the picture. (Tail Lights??? )
Any reccomendations on a good supplier? Again, keep in mind I don't want to spend too much. (200-300ish a pair.) Also, when you install the angel eye style lighting on a car that doesn't have them is there a lot of work to wire the "halo" lights up?

Thank you.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Go you Good Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboi View Post
y not just get the one-piece angel eyes....much more easy to deal with and easy to install...just my thought....lol..
I believe there all 1 piece.

Cone
XXX
Old 08-26-2007, 05:28 PM
I Am The Machine

Well.....I can't think of any good options that cheap. I have Umnitza's. I've had serious quality issues so far, but they've been working on fixing them, to their credit. They look terrific, though.

As far as wiring things, its really not hard at all. Here's the best way (I'm biased...hehe).
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...+fuse+wire+red

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 08-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Driv'N In Sunny Cali

Mein Auto: 95 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiesox View Post
I was expecting such opinions. I wouldn't trust them all that much either seeing the quality of those are probobly that of the editing job done on the picture. (Tail Lights??? )
Any reccomendations on a good supplier? Again, keep in mind I don't want to spend too much. (200-300ish a pair.) Also, when you install the angel eye style lighting on a car that doesn't have them is there a lot of work to wire the "halo" lights up?

Thank you.
Cheapest headlights that look good??
http://www.umnitza.com/product_info....3305fc8c53d738
Old 08-26-2007, 07:51 PM
1.888.JLEVISW

Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Mein Auto: BMW Duh
If you are looking for complete projector headlight replacements with built in angel eyes, I highly recommend our Projector36 Headlights. These are complete units that include preinstalled angel eyes and can be optioned with preinstalled HIDs for a true factory xenon output. These are backed by our lifetime warranty and are a direct headlight swap.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:19 PM
328i for life

Send a message via AIM to Ronnaferd Send a message via MSN to Ronnaferd
Mein Auto: 97 328i sport pkg
I also suggest DEPO's. I have them with Thinline Angel eyes + HID and love them.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:59 PM
I Am The Machine

I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the look of the DOT's than the Projector36's. Proj36's look very tacky and aftermarket, DOT's (like the ones above me, and on my car) look much more OEM and subtle. With the Predator Chromiums they look killer.

JLevi, do you have any info on light output on Projector36 vs DOT's? I was told the DOT's had a better projector, as well as looking better.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 08-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 135i
I thought Projector36's are DEPOs with DOT projectors...at least that's what Umnitza sells.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Resident Pilot

Mein Auto: BMW Not Found
Quote:
I also suggest DEPO's. I have them with Thinline Angel eyes + HID and love them.
+1

I'd go with Chromiums, though.
You get what you pay for when it comes to car stuff and BMWs. Don't go cheap if you don't want it to look cheap or perform cheaply.

1993 325is - Frigg - Grounded
2001 Z3 2.5 - Išunn - Active
Old 08-27-2007, 06:33 PM

I appreciate all of the information and help. I plan to buy the DEPO's with Predator Chromium s. Could anybody post a picture or explain what all comes with the package? Also, I want to wire a switch to the Halo surrounds and place that switch by my fog light switch (blend it into the cluster). Any help?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Resident Pilot

Mein Auto: BMW Not Found
There is a switch where the fog light switch is that has two buttons instead of one. You could wire it into that second switch spot if you can get the two button switch. Check RealOEM.com

1993 325is - Frigg - Grounded
2001 Z3 2.5 - Išunn - Active
Old 08-27-2007, 07:36 PM
I Am The Machine

http://www.umnitza.com/product_info....a8575a1e0fc341

That one ^

Get the Predator Chromiums, with Pre Install. I don't have the celar film and haven't had a problem, but I plan to get some. Prolly would be a good idea. Sounds like you're running on a budget, but I'd imagine the HID would be nice. I was on a budget too so I passed.
I got the Xenix bulbs from them. They suck. I am currently running a Xenix in one light and a cheap basic Sylvania Halogen H1 in the other. The Sylvania is brighter 10 to 1. Get some Sylvania superbright halogen or cool blue or whatever fits your taste in them and they'll look mean. Just get the H1's instead of OEM 9006 connectors, though.

So (as listed on umnitzas page):
Lights in the link above
Angel Eyes: Predator Chromium
Clear Film: If you want, prolly would be a good idea
Xenon: Depends on your budget
Bulbs: No
Pre install: Yes

Now, when you get them, there are a few things you want to think about on wiring.
-You could wire the switch to a fuse that is hot at all times, so you could have the angel eyes on to show people even when you turn the car off. This would also require you turning them on every time you get in, and off every time you get out. If you forget, they draw power and also shorten their lifetime. I'd highly recommend against.
-You could do what I did [url(here) and wire them to a fuse that is on in Accy/Run/Start. This means any time you have the key in, they come on. I wired to fuse #46. It's on in those times, and has a 15A capacity, so it can support the load ok. Now, IMO, this eliminates the need for a switch, but you could still wire one up if you'd like (IE times when you're driving that you'd like to turn them off for some reason).

If you're sure you want to do that, IMO the best way would be to get the Front/Rear foglight switch (Euro piece, your dealer can order it, about 30 something bucks I believe. Here the P/N: 61 31 1 387 054)
Then, almost follow my write up, here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218903&highlight=angel+eyes+parking

Now, to make them switched, instead of taking that wire and running it from the wire from fuse 46 to the headlights, connect a very long piece of wire instead of the fairly short one i sued (don't cut it completely until you're done with this part, just take and attach one end to the wire in the fusebox, and leave the other end on the spool). Take that wire, and after connecting it, run it looped over itself down into the passenger compartment with the rest of those wires in the fusebox (this will take time). It's hard to explain what I mean, but basically both ends of the wire (connected to fusebox and still on the spool) will stay in the engine compartment. You'll be feeding a loop into the interior, without any end inside. Now, once that wire is inside a bit, just pull in lots of slack. Wire that up to the 2nd switch on the dual foglight switch by snipping the wire in 2 and connecting it to the switch on either end. Now, you already have the wire running back out again to your engine and don't have run wires twice. Then take that wire and do the rest of what I did in the write up, and you're done. Not too difficult.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 AM
1.888.JLEVISW

Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Mein Auto: BMW Duh
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the look of the DOT's than the Projector36's. Proj36's look very tacky and aftermarket, DOT's (like the ones above me, and on my car) look much more OEM and subtle. With the Predator Chromiums they look killer.

JLevi, do you have any info on light output on Projector36 vs DOT's? I was told the DOT's had a better projector, as well as looking better.
Yep, we are an authorized retailer of Umnitza branded products and our Projector36's are the DEPO based units with the same projectors. As far as light output, they are one of the best options we have available