Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-25-2007, 12:51 AM
Smoke tires, not drugs

Send a message via AIM to xxx008xxx
Mein Auto: 1998 ///M3, 1999 Jeep GC
want to put performance cats on my car

i want to put performance cats on my car...anyone know a good/cheap/powerfull/good sounding performance cat for the e36 328is?? please let me know...thanks
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2007, 02:58 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Oem?

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Driv'N In Sunny Cali

Mein Auto: 95 BMW 325i
performing cat??

sorry i couldnt resist. But as for sound, Ive heard the stock piping doesnt sound too bad. As for me, aftermarket is just too expensive for now. We'll see what the rest of the festers have to say.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Smoke tires, not drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizao View Post
performing cat??

sorry i couldnt resist. But as for sound, Ive heard the stock piping doesnt sound too bad. As for me, aftermarket is just too expensive for now. We'll see what the rest of the festers have to say.
as i'm posting this thread, i was thinking to myself....someone is going to say..."performing cat?"
Old 08-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Smoke tires, not drugs

pretty much i want my car to be a little louder so i thought of putting in performance cats in it....
Old 08-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Do I Offend?

Send a message via Yahoo to greenbeem
Mein Auto: 1994 318iC
I thought I had a problem with my exhaust, so I went ahead and bought a new one. It was a Bosal, the thing I noticed about stock as apposed to cheap aftermarket is that the stock steel is very thick (at least 1/8" thick)making somewhat quieter, the exhaust I bought was very thin and sounded horrible. So my suggestion is either get really good aftermarket and pay a ton for it, or buy stock and just pay alot.

Also the reason I know how thick the steel is, is because in an attempt to figure out my performance issues I removed the internals of the cat which required cutting it open (no inspections in Fl.). Before everyone freaks out I will be replacing it later. My point being though, I noticed no performance change with or without the cat. Maybe if everything was in perfect running order then there would be obvious difference.

She's good, but I keep finding Barbie doll's under the hood.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Smoke tires, not drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeem View Post
I thought I had a problem with my exhaust, so I went ahead and bought a new one. It was a Bosal, the thing I noticed about stock as apposed to cheap aftermarket is that the stock steel is very thick (at least 1/8" thick)making somewhat quieter, the exhaust I bought was very thin and sounded horrible. So my suggestion is either get really good aftermarket and pay a ton for it, or buy stock and just pay alot.

Also the reason I know how thick the steel is, is because in an attempt to figure out my performance issues I removed the internals of the cat which required cutting it open (no inspections in Fl.). Before everyone freaks out I will be replacing it later. My point being though, I noticed no performance change with or without the cat. Maybe if everything was in perfect running order then there would be obvious difference.
i have a bosal performance cat-back on my car now and it sound REALLY good....i've had no problems with it...maybe 6cyl. compaired to 4cyl.?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Do I Offend?

Send a message via Yahoo to greenbeem
Mein Auto: 1994 318iC
that sucks for me, I must have bought there bottom end version I was just looking to replace stock I didn't need a performance setup. I still have the muffler but I returned the cat because once it was mounted it hung down about 6" from where the original was and I didn't feel like bending it to get it to fit.

She's good, but I keep finding Barbie doll's under the hood.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1996 bmw 328is
i dont know what the emisions laws are in New Jersey, but in North Carolina after a car is 10 years old the car doesnt have to pass emisions. You just have to have a cat. It doesnt even have to work. So in other words... you can just gut your cat and just leave it on there, so basically its doing nothing to hamper the performance. Just a thought.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Clarion Head Unit : Sirius Satelite Radio : K&N Cold Air Intake : Carr Industries Short Shifter
Dinan Stage II Software : 10w 30 Royal Purple : Zimmerman Rotors : Hawk Performance Pads : Staggard M3 Wheels
Old 08-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Smoke tires, not drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeem View Post
that sucks for me, I must have bought there bottom end version I was just looking to replace stock I didn't need a performance setup. I still have the muffler but I returned the cat because once it was mounted it hung down about 6" from where the original was and I didn't feel like bending it to get it to fit.
mine was an $800 cat back....i payed $400 though....gotta love wholesale prices....
Old 08-25-2007, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 94 325 is
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx008xxx View Post
mine was an $800 cat back....i payed $400 though....gotta love wholesale prices....
wait... is he looking for a cat? or a cat back? cat back setups dont change your cats they go on after the cat.. to the back..

or did i misread everything?
Old 08-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Smoke tires, not drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete325is View Post
wait... is he looking for a cat? or a cat back? cat back setups dont change your cats they go on after the cat.. to the back..

or did i misread everything?
a already have a performance cat-back exhaust system...i want to make the car a little louder so i was thinking about replacing the fastory cats with performance cats....
Old 08-25-2007, 03:32 PM

if you want it louder just gut the cat, unless the law says you cant.

Clarion Head Unit : Sirius Satelite Radio : K&N Cold Air Intake : Carr Industries Short Shifter
Dinan Stage II Software : 10w 30 Royal Purple : Zimmerman Rotors : Hawk Performance Pads : Staggard M3 Wheels
Old 08-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Smoke tires, not drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounzing_soulz View Post
if you want it louder just gut the cat, unless the law says you cant.
the law says i can't but...my dad does inspections at his shop so.....

i don't know if gutting the cat will be too loud though...thats why i haven't gutted the cats or resinators...
Old 08-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Dale Crane is the MAN!

Send a message via AIM to VTi
Mein Auto: 95 320i / 00 520i
Just get an oem one.

If you take the cat off, your just creating more emissions with no performance gained.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: e36 325i
i've heard good things about catco cats. bosal makes some too. $100-200 ea for high-flow types.

from past experience switching from a catalytic converter to test pipe only slightly increased the 'loudness' of the exhaust but greatly increased the exhaust rasp. i had to switch to a resonated test pipe to cut down on the raspiness. this was only for track days mostly and the hindsight performance gains were not noticeable (~1hp...)

if you want your exhaust louder a cat or removing the cat will not do it. remove your muffler or get a straight through N1 fartcan style for loudness. less baffles in muffler = louder. just remove the whole rear muffler section of your exhaust to get a sample exhaust tone.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to mpowerrcr
Mein Auto: 1994 325i, 2006 mcs
magnaflow universal and just get it welded
Old 08-27-2007, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 97 328is montego blue
Cats plugged up

I keep getting an check engine light that the dealer says is my converters getting plugged up. I've thought about the Magnaflow universals but am leaning toward the DEC assembly. Anyone tried the DEC converter replacement and how did you like it? How did the Magnaflows work for you? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:40 AM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chizao View Post
performing cat??

Beat me to it!!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwcat View Post
Beat me to it!!
is that from america's got tallent?

Old 08-28-2007, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 97 328is montego blue
Oops

And I just read the "performing cats" posting. My mistake So anyone have any advice on the Magnaflows, DEC or another converter assembly for decent money. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:35 PM
M status achieved!

Mein Auto: 94 325i, 98 Protege
I am really proud of all the festers for not flaming anyone for not running cats, or gutting etc. It really cracks me up when enviro friendly types start flaming about a 3000 lb car not running cats that is also computer controlled to burn at optimum air/fuel ratio. I'd love to hear tyheir thoughts on all the dump trucks, tractor trailers, lawn mowers, weed whackers, motorcycles etc etc etc. that run all day everyday with no emissions controls. How about nascar for the hillbilly folk? The Daytona 500 is a long race, Lemans, enduro's all run by vehicles with no cats. Tree huggers beware... I run NO CAT on my Honda, and soon to be on my BMW. And here's a favorite quote ofg mine....

Quote:
One old gas powered lawn mower running for an hour emits as much pollution as driving 650 miles in a 1992 model automobile (courtesy U.S. Environmental Protection Agency)
Oh, and a neat link for ya...
http://www.mindfully.org/Air/Lawn-Mower-Pollution.htm

So in summation, When it's required by law for ALL race cars, motorcycles, diesel engines, and non-road use vehicles to have cats, then my car will have them too. Till then, piss off tree huggers!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: e36 325i
i would've never thought i'd source an importtuner article, but - http://www.importtuner.com/features/...al/index1.html

so basically you don't even do it for the very tiny performance increase, but you do it just do spite everyone that breathes the air around you. that's cool.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:59 AM
M status achieved!

Mein Auto: 94 325i, 98 Protege
I removed my cat on the Honda because it was fouled. I passed emissions and soon after found my car would barely run. After removing the cat, the car ran better than ever with increased performance and fuel economy. I also had a friend of mine who owns a garage that does the Ct. emissions program retest the car and guess what, it passed with nearly the same exact results as with the cat. Of course it would fail because there is no cat on it, but you get the point.

What I was saying by my post, is that these enviro people who speak out about the person not running a cat on their car should really look into their own life and see that they are more than likely causing just as much emissions as the guy not running cats on his car.

If emissions were to be run properly, then a standard should be set for ALL engines. Not just road use or gasoline powered, but diesel as well. This should also be issued regardless of weight of the vehicle. My Honda still puts out far less pollutants without a cat than Company A's dump truck that is on the road far more than my car is.

Next time you'd like to spout about me spiting everyone around Me's air, why don't you pull over the guy driving the tractor trailer next to you spitting out black soot and putting out up to 10 times the pollutants I am. Better yet, buy a pair of scissors to cut your lawn next time, cause according to the US EPA, your lawn mower puts out more emissions than my car.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
Cat Hat

Cat back helmet cat...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	helmetcat.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	119551