Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 3-series
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruiter View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. Car was not delivered... You are still waiting for delivery. This one is on BMW, for sure. I wouldn't worry about it. Just ask for a loaner while they get you a new car.
If the car was not delivered, why would they give you a loaner?

Wrong. The car was delivered by BMWNA in Germany.
This is a second, independent transaction: car was shipped (fully covered by insurance) from Germany to US. If car was lost, owner must file a claim. I just hope the claim is not for a "used" car, which technically it would be, and several thousand $$ depreciated. OTOH, why not? He used and enjoyed the car in Germany, after all...
Old 08-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bee View Post
If the car was not delivered, why would they give you a loaner?

Wrong. The car was delivered by BMWNA in Germany.
This is a second, independent transaction: car was shipped (fully covered by insurance) from Germany to US. If car was lost, owner must file a claim. I just hope the claim is not for a "used" car, which technically it would be, and several thousand $$ depreciated. OTOH, why not? He used and enjoyed the car in Germany, after all...
That's an ass backwards way of looking at the situation. Sure, it was delivered in Germany, but custody was also surrendered in Germany(I presume) to an agent of BMW, so I guess technically the car was never re-delivered. I look at it as all part of one bigger transaction, which would have ended with the car being delivered in the US. Either way, the liability is still BMW's, although now it would be primarily the dealer's liability..

The owner is right on this one; make sure your insurance never hears a thing about this.. Also, I think it only fair for your dealership and BMWNA to provide you with a loaner at this point..
Old 08-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalli View Post
Sure, it was delivered in Germany, but custody was also surrendered in Germany(I presume) to an agent of BMW, so I guess technically the car was never re-delivered. I look at it as all part of one bigger transaction, which would have ended with the car being delivered in the US. Either way, the liability is still BMW's, although now it would be primarily the dealer's liability..
You can look at it from any angle you wish but that won't change things.

It's not one bigger transaction.

In fact, once it's delivered, the owner is the importer of record, not BMW, as well as the shipper.

If you don't think these technicalities matter, you have never dealt with insurance companies.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 08-27-2007, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
If you don't think these technicalities matter, you have never dealt with insurance companies.
In large part, this is a very true statement. Insurance companies don't like to pay out - period - and if another carrier is more at fault, they will point you in that direction. This is the reason why on a lot of insurance coverage, you see "seconday insurance" as a condition.

Many insurance claims are a case by case basis, so you actually have to work/fight a lot for your claim. Its possibly unfair, etc., but its what you need to do to make sure your best interests are taken care of. Be professional, unemotional, reasonable and firm.

As to "my worst fear was realized this afternoon", I would offer that them finding your car after it'd been stolen and joy ridden would be a worse occurrence... Just keep the big picture in mind - its just a leased car, and life sometimes happens.

I lost my car on the Tricolor back in 2002, and it took a few months, but in the end I did get another replacement car. It took some fax writing, phone calls, filling out of forms etc. - in the end, I was just left with a great story and a life experience. I'm none the worst for wear a few years on, and have bought 2 more ED cars since. I hope you eventually feel the same, or better.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 08-27-2007, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 335 Coupe
Please keep us updated and good luck man!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335i 'vert: soon
From www.bmwusa.com/europeandelivery

The comprehensive European Delivery program simplifies all the details, so you can focus on planning your vacation. Every step of the process, from ordering to insurance and shipping, is taken care of.

The cost of transportation, customs clearance and duty, and marine insurance is included in the purchase price of all BMWs sold under the European Delivery Program.

Your BMW will be inspected again upon arriving at your BMW center. The center's technicians will also install any optional accessories you wish to add to your new BMW. Your client advisor will redeliver your car to you, the perfect souvenir of your European vacation.

Your CA WILL redeliver your car to you - thats the promise made by BMW.

2006 A6 3.2L Quattro

2008 335i convertible, 6sp MT, Montego Blue/Saddle, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC
2007 335i Coupe, 6sp MT, Montego Blue/Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006, 325 Arctic, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, Xenon, Steptronic - Totalled
Old 08-27-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_ver View Post

The comprehensive European Delivery program simplifies all the details, so you can focus on planning your vacation. Every step of the process, from ordering to insurance and shipping, is taken care of.

The cost of transportation, customs clearance and duty, and marine insurance is included in the purchase price of all BMWs sold under the European Delivery Program.

Your BMW will be inspected again upon arriving at your BMW center. The center's technicians will also install any optional accessories you wish to add to your new BMW. Your client advisor will redeliver your car to you, the perfect souvenir of your European vacation.

Isn't that more of a general SOP statement than a promise?

I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that a situation like theft would be covered under something like "force majeure", and you couldn't actually hold BMW to it?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigito View Post
Thanks Bernard. I agree that it shouldn't be my problem, but I had to report the car stolen myself since i'm the owner (not the dealership). Even thought it happened on their property. The police dept. confirmed that I had to report it stolen so I did that today in person at the dealership with the police.

If the car does not show up, the dealerships insurance will be getting the claim. Hopefully the car shows up and I don't have to go through a legal process.

I'll reserve my comments towards the dealership depending on how this all pans out and how well I get treated.
Make sure none charges against your policy. Frankly, even it turned up now, you should try not to accept it because you just don't know what has happened to the car.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 08-27-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_ver View Post

I also saw this on the website:

The information in these Web pages is intended for U.S. customers only and is provided “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. In no event shall BMW NA be liable to any person for any special, indirect or consequential damages relating to this material.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335i 'vert: soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason View Post
Make sure none charges against your policy. Frankly, even it turned up now, you should try not to accept it because you just don't know what has happened to the car.
Don't accept it since u don't know where its been?!!

i don't think that will fly.... just take the car if they are able to locate it.

2006 A6 3.2L Quattro

2008 335i convertible, 6sp MT, Montego Blue/Saddle, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC
2007 335i Coupe, 6sp MT, Montego Blue/Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006, 325 Arctic, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, Xenon, Steptronic - Totalled
Old 08-27-2007, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: cars & the occasional trk
Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang View Post
Bull$hit!!! Incompetent dealer doesn't get deserve to be protected.

Spill the bean. Who is it??!!

+ no details makes it harder to reply coherently
Old 08-27-2007, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 07' E92 335i
Update

So I called BMWNA and BMW Euro Delivery and both stated the dealer needs to take care of me. BMWNA said to contact them immediately if the dealer starts to show any resistance or I don't think i'm getting fairly treated. BMWNA said no way should it involve my own insurance co. Waggoners trucking confirmed the date of delivery.

I'm going to put a letter together to the Dealer GM stating this and that they need to take care of this fiasco immediately. The car is gone forever I'm afraid. BMW assist has been getting no signals from the car since I reported it stolen on Sat (who really knows when it was taken). I need the car re-ordered immediately and a loaner provided. They offered me a loaner when I got the bad news, but declined at the time. Time to take them up on that offer.

I was reading the other fellas post in San Diego (more than a few times now). It's very weird. He had the same Space 335i as me and his car came in on a Saturday like mine too. Also, I had this whole "lost key fob" excuse for 3 days and he was also not told for 3 or 4 days too. I'm still not sure if everything is on the up and up. The whole key fob thing is iffy. I can't believe you wouldn't go look in the car if you were missing a key. Talk about taking you sweet time. I got the "we've got a problem" email like an hour before I was to pick up the car". This farking sucks. Any hope of a mishap in shipping is quickly fading each day.

I'll update you guys when anything new develops. Man, I miss my car

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226259 (Stolen Car Thread ) http://craigsbmw-eurodelivery.blogspot.com (ED Trip)
Old 08-27-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkcc1 View Post
Exactly... the Allianz insurance covers until redelivery. Why ever notify your own insurance and have your rates go up? I never understood why people ask "when do I add my ED car to my US policy?" and the answer sometimes is " as soon as it hits the port". Because I read the details that Allianz covers till redelivery, I didn't add my car to my policy until the day I picked up at the dealer. To each his own I guess!
Yes, the Allianz wording says the maritime ins ends when the car is "handed over to the buyer". Didn't quite get to that point

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226259 (Stolen Car Thread ) http://craigsbmw-eurodelivery.blogspot.com (ED Trip)
Old 08-27-2007, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 01 M3 vert, 02 325xi
Not to add to your plate of worries, but *if* the vehicle is recovered, even pristine, given that it has been reported stolen, your resale value will be impaired. (I guess this matters only bought, and didn't lease it?) I only mention this as something to remember when you are dealing with the dealership on what it will take to make this right.

Good luck, and hope things get set right for you.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Thnx for the Update.

No worries CT, there is nothing in the world that can't be fixed with the mighty $$$sign

Look at the bringt side, you are now getting a 2008 model car with ZERO miles on it without have to return to Munuch. Let's take lemon and make it lemonade shall we??!!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Freude am Fahren

Do you have a friend who is a lawyer? I would be sending this letter via my attorney. Perception is everything.

MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 08-27-2007, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 335i E93 Verte
Thanks for keeping us posted. Glad to see you have BMWNA ready to back you up if the dealer fails to do everything possible to make it right.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02325xi View Post
Not to add to your plate of worries, but *if* the vehicle is recovered, even pristine, given that it has been reported stolen, your resale value will be impaired. (I guess this matters only bought, and didn't lease it?) I only mention this as something to remember when you are dealing with the dealership on what it will take to make this right....
I wouldn't worry about this one. This is a non-issue as that will NOT be CT's car. We know this from prior case with the same scenerio.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Quote:
Do you have a friend who is a lawyer? I would be sending this letter via my attorney. Perception is everything.

Or perhaps a fellow bimmerfester here can do some "ProBono" work for CT and help out another bimmerfester

Anyone??!! Anyone!!??
Old 08-27-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
A friend of mine owns his own business and has a couple guys in mind if I need somebody. However, I think on the first run, if I clearly explain my expectations and stress my seriousness that might be enough. I only want to bring up the word lawyer if it is really necessary.

We'll see how it goes. I'm basically requesting a full commitment on a resolution by end of the day Wed. That way it doesn't drag on.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:26 PM
3 pedals only!

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Carbon Black
Quote:
Also, I had this whole "lost key fob" excuse for 3 days and he was also not told for 3 or 4 days too. I'm still not sure if everything is on the up and up. The whole key fob thing is iffy. I can't believe you wouldn't go look in the car if you were missing a key. Talk about taking you sweet time. I got the "we've got a problem" email like an hour before I was to pick up the car". This farking sucks. Any hope of a mishap in shipping is quickly fading each day.
While it appears that there was gross negligence on the part of the dealer, and that it is also likely that it was an inside job, I wouldn't assume the dealership conspired to steal your car without strong evidence. It doesn't pass Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
2006 E83 X3, Silver Grey/Black, ED 15 May 2006. (retired)
2005 E46 330i, Jet Black/Black (retired)
2002 E46 325i, Electric Red/Black (retired)
Old 08-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Quote:
....We'll see how it goes. I'm basically requesting a full commitment on a resolution by end of the day Wed. That way it doesn't drag on....

Knowing how a dealership operates and knowing the position the typical owner of the dealership takes... I would have to say that your expectation will be unlikely to be fufilled.

Which is a nice way to say: ".... dude... you are dreaming!!!......"
Old 08-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Just add Esq.

Quote:
Speaking of Perception, just signing a letter as "Mr. X3 Skier, Esq" has gotten some very prompt and satisfactory responses in some of my minor disputes back in the day.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 08-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3 Skier View Post
Speaking of Perception, just signing a letter as "Mr. X3 Skier, Esq" has gotten some very prompt and satisfactory responses in some of my minor disputes back in the day.

Cheers
Ja, Esq. is commonly appended to any gentleman´s name in the U.K. so why not.

If the writer of the esquired letter is well known to the recipient, however, it may not have the desired effect.

Wow, that guy is not only a rocket scientist but a lawyer too!

MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 08-28-2007, 07:33 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
As to "my worst fear was realized this afternoon", I would offer that them finding your car after it'd been stolen and joy ridden would be a worse occurrence... Just keep the big picture in mind - its just a leased car, and life sometimes happens.
In San Diego stripped is more likely than joyride. If that's what happened, the police will find the car soon. That's what happened to my Jetta. Twice.

I got it back in better then new condition. I sat on the body shop until they did the work to my satisfaction. It is possible. Took months.

Theft recovery pushed the resale value up. I sold it not long after the second theft. The car looked great.

This is of course the worst possible outcome. I hope it isn't what happened.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 08-28-2007 at 07:36 AM.