Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 E39 & 2005 645 ci
Fault Code 4f85

Has anyone had Fault Code 4f85 on a 645ci. What was the issue and how did you get tit fixed. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2012, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bowen View Post
Has anyone had Fault Code 4f85 on a 645ci. What was the issue and how did you get tit fixed. Thanks.
Is your tramsmission SMG?
Old 05-11-2012, 02:35 PM

No its not. Its the regular 6 speed auto. Car has only 39k miles on it. Went into limp mode . Dealer did the diagnosis and doesn't service the transmissions......... they want $9,700 to put in a re-manufactured one. What a joke. Theycleared the code. I've been driving gingerly..... so far so good but only a matter of time.......
Old 05-11-2012, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i Convertible
So for him the tranny is a throw away item? No service or repair! Just "rip that baby out, that will be 10 grand, next!"

Freedom Isn't Free
Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
BMW does not service E63/E64 transmissions. If you have a problem they just replace the entire transmission.

The 4F85 code is a bad transmission control module (located inside the transmission) according to BMW documentation. But I found a thread where this code was a result of a bushing failure on the input shaft. The entire shaft needs to be replaced for $500. (google 530i Limp Mode code 4F85)

Either way, find a good transmission shop and they should be able to fix it for under $2K.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 PM

Thanks Yorgi. Can you send me the BMW documentation you were refering to. Is to control module the same as manutronics unit..... if I spelled it correctly ?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 08 335I
4F85 Code

The 4F85 code is a result of the bushing on the input shaft having excessive play. Typically, your "E coupling" friction plates will burn up as a result. The shaft itself does not need to be purchased, an aftermarket transmission shop can purchase an upgraded bushing kit from Sonnax, part number 95030-01k, and fix this problem. I recommend a filter, and the six frictions, as well. Hope this helps anyone still looking.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the answer. How sure are you and who would you recommend I take it to. I'm not far from you ....live in the Tampa area.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianstrans View Post
The 4F85 code is a result of the bushing on the input shaft having excessive play. Typically, your "E coupling" friction plates will burn up as a result. The shaft itself does not need to be purchased, an aftermarket transmission shop can purchase an upgraded bushing kit from Sonnax, part number 95030-01k, and fix this problem. I recommend a filter, and the six frictions, as well. Hope this helps anyone still looking.

This has been added to my "things that might go wrong so I'm gonna save this page incase it does" file.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
I thought I would let everyone know that I had the same error code 4F85 and was told I needed a new transmission. But I sent a few links to my mechanic on this site and turns out it was a leaky seal. I can't figure out how to include a photo. As soon as I do I'll post a pic of the bad seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	5380
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	413598  
Old 12-22-2013, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by markstarnes View Post
I thought I would let everyone know that I had the same error code 4F85 and was told I needed a new transmission. But I sent a few links to my mechanic on this site and turns out it was a leaky seal. I can't figure out how to include a photo. As soon as I do I'll post a pic of the bad seal.
ok
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	5190
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	413601  
Old 04-24-2015, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 09 E60 535 xDrive
I had the same experience, trans fault indicator on dash. I have a good European tech that both drives and fixes BMW. I have an '09 535X Drive with a Steptronic 6 speed. I was diagnosed with he 4F85 transmission code of death. As it turns out, the valve body has to be replaced, the transmission control module software updated. He has suggested I get the software update completed which is $150 at the dealer. Then he suggests since I have 80K miles on he car, I get an early transmission service, pan, filter, gasket kit and 7 qts of fluid, about $500. Failing this, the valve body repair is another $5000. The valve body at the dealer and eBay is $3995 and about 9 hours of labor I am told. I have had this issue 3 times, usually at highway speed after an hour of driving. I pull over, shut the car completely off and wait a minute then I can drive again without issue for a few days. This is not a fix, but gets me out of trouble.
Dennis at Gramley's in St Petersburg is pretty savvy on Euro cars. They are on Pasadena Blvd at Central. I275S, take the 5th Ave exit, go to 66th St. Turn left, around the curve to the right, on the right at the lights. I lived in St Pete for 15 yrs and took my 528i to Dennis faithfully. They've been around a long time.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by markstarnes View Post

This is called the Mechatronic's Adapter. When it starts to get hard & brittle, it lets the fluid leak around the seal. This will cause the tranny to go into fail safe mode. Read the link below.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=654634
Old 04-24-2015, 09:09 PM

I do recall the guy at the garage mentioning a bushing. I will discuss it with him tomorrow. Thanks for the input. Ahh, the joy and rewards of sensible discussion
Old 01-03-2016, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyincda View Post
I do recall the guy at the garage mentioning a bushing. I will discuss it with him tomorrow. Thanks for the input. Ahh, the joy and rewards of sensible discussion
Has this issue been fixed? I am in the same boat as yours, transmission malfunction message after an hour of driving. Pull over, turn off the engine and on, car drives like new. error codes were 4F8C most of the time. Once I got 4F85 too
it's a 2009 Xdrive 48i/X5, but transmission might be same or similar. all made by ZF anyways
Old 01-03-2016, 08:17 PM

repair options

I looked at several options to repair the transmission, ultimately I went with all the prescribed fixes as repeat transmission pan re and re's, extra fluid, gaskets and labor, made repeat fixes foolish.
There is a fix by replacing all the transmission shift solenoids, as they get old and bind causing various 4F codes. Mine was due to a 5-6 upshift issue and there was also a harsh 2-1 downshift. Either issue was not how you want your luxury Euro sedan to perform.
The skinny dollar says do this repair, you can get a solenoid kits with gaskets from TCTS, The California Transmission Supply for about $600, that is just the solenoids and valvebody gaskets, pan and fluids are extra but available.
I looked at sending the entire assembly, the TCM (trans ctl mod), valve body and solenoids to European Transmissions in Georgia. They take the entire assembly, check all the circuits on the TCM and inspect/repair as necessary. They apply pressure to all the circuits of the valve body and test the operations of the solenoid cluster and replace what is necessary to replace including testing the integrity of the solenoid windings and they overhaul the valve body, checking for cracks and failures within.
I fall goes well and the overhaul/repair/solenoid replacement is successful, the repair is about $1500, for that portion. You are strongly advised to flush the transmission fluid and replace the pan containing the filter. There is a seal behind the front pump that can be replaced by removing the transmission, but that is a separate kind of repair. This repair is done with transmission in the car and just removing the transmission pan.
At the same time, there is a figure 8 type adapter with a gasket at each end that gets hot and cracks allowing fluid bypass causing shift errors..
The repair from ET includes this gasket and the gasket where the transmission harness cables plug into the valve body.
I am in Canada and ET closes for the last 2 weeks of the year for seasonal holidays, being as my car was without a valve body and I was pretty pissed off that ET didn't bother to answer the phone for the week prior to closing and just sent me an email on the day they closed another answer was needed. My mechanic, Ivan from Can-Safe in Oshawa ON, came up with a location in Quebec that supplies a new valve body with a new solenoid set and a reman TCM, programmed to my VIN, so it is plug and play. In the kit they include the correct fluid, the pan and gasket, and the aforementioned gaskets and perhaps a prayer, I don't know for sure ;D
Due to the holidays, all the couriers were swamped and overnight was exponentially expensive, so the kit ordered before Christmas arrived New Year's Eve. I wished Ivan a Happy New year and let's get the car finished when he is rested and refreshed. It has been my experience that last minute repairs lead to mistakes that you, the owner, will regret when the repair isn't tested thoroughly, adjustments made, etc and you are stranded somewhere.
This repair is about $3600 and luckily my extended warranty is picking up a good chunk of this, so it was the smart money. Warranty companies don't generally like trying repeat labor for multiple fixes of the same problem.
I'll post a message when I have the car back and have had an opportunity to take a test flight.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:32 PM

Yes I replaced the solenoids Problem fixed .got them from the guys in California . $500
Old 01-04-2016, 02:37 PM

Outstanding
Old 01-06-2016, 12:49 AM

Finally got this thing fixed, throttled up and all the shifts were crisp and smooth, wow. great to have my throttle rocket back. I hated having a twin turbo Vespa with a dodgy shift, no pun intended. Mind you anyone that ever owned anything with a 727 torqflite will understand the humor.
Complete reman install, new valve body, new solenoids, reman TCM, new pan/filter and fluids. $3700 CDN, about 8 bucks US, lol. But it works and has a warranty for a year, upshift and downshift are beautiful, no codes, no lights, no problems, wow. Thanks Can-Saf Auto, in Oshawa ON Canada. Not that I'm plugging Ivan's garage. If you want his contact info, contact me or look him up on Facebook
Old 09-09-2016, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
How has the repair held up? I'm getting a 4f89 code and some people are pointing to the eclutch inside the transmission. Is your transmission ok?

2006 750 I
Old 12-10-2016, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw
hello people!
I'm new here,I have the same issue error 4f85(bmw 320d ,automatic,2008)..
help me please
Old 12-12-2016, 07:26 AM

How many miles and have you changed the tranny fluid yet? That code is referencing a clutch E issue but it could be something else. Does it drive with some slipping?

2006 750 I
Old 12-15-2016, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Sonnax Zip Kit...!!!! The main issue is the valve body gets worn and the piston clearances change which changes the oil pressure. Had all the issues, but noticed that when shifting manually the tranny was not slipping. So I order the kit and rebuilt the valve body. 15K later using the Autozone Valvoline Extended Mileage Tranny fluid [save your money] PERFECT,,, Was quoted by several that I needed a complete tranny rebuild... LOLOLOL

What kinda starts this problem is the oil pan gets stress cracks and starts sipping fluid. We don't see it because the cover absorbs the fluid alot. Then we are driving low on fluid which accelerates the wear in the valve body. I removed my underpan so I can see when something is leaking. Otherwise you will never know you have growing issues until is it a crisis.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I also noticed that I can drive my 2006 750i in manual mode. I think a rebuilt valve body is needed and not a whole transmission.

2006 750 I
Old 12-16-2016, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Don't forget you will need a 3 other things while you are in there: 1)new tranny oil pan 2)new mechantronic adapter plug 3) new square plastic oil seal thing connected to the valve body These things might be good but they all break so... JUST DO IT

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search