Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-02-2015, 09:12 PM
NotJamesBond NotJamesBond is offline
Registered User
Location: Charleston
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 645ci
Which DVD nav disk do I need?

I'm asking for my father and he just bought a 2005 645ci, but it came with no navigation DVD. Unfortunately I can't seem to find out which DVD I need because there is a lot of conflicting information. Something about v32 and another about CIC or CCC and I can't tell what I need. The dealer quoted $190 for a disk, but that is a bit high considering that he will barely ever use this. Can I just buy a 2014/2015 disk off ebay and will it work?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-02-2015, 11:39 PM
07 E63650i's Avatar
07 E63650i 07 E63650i is online now
Living in Fast Forward
Location: Southern California, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,526
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJamesBond View Post
I'm asking for my father and he just bought a 2005 645ci, but it came with no navigation DVD. Unfortunately I can't seem to find out which DVD I need because there is a lot of conflicting information. Something about v32 and another about CIC or CCC and I can't tell what I need. The dealer quoted $190 for a disk, but that is a bit high considering that he will barely ever use this. Can I just buy a 2014/2015 disk off ebay and will it work?
Your car definitely uses the CCC iDrive system, so it will use a navigation DVD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-BMW-Nav...1f7db7&vxp=mtr

Hope this helps!
__________________
Once a 6'er, always a 6'er.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 AM
BMW_Stu BMW_Stu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: md
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 221
Mein Auto: Camaro, soon to have BMW
^ I second that, You have a CCC, Buy one on e-bay for like 10 bucks, no special installations, licensing, updating or other drama, you put the DVD in and it's ready to go. Easiest upgrade in the history of BMW.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2015, 12:14 PM
Bk650's Avatar
Bk650 Bk650 is offline
Nerdy G
Location: Brookyln
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 900
Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Mein Auto: 650i
Downloading Torrents is illegal so you absolutely should not find the 2014-2015 nav disk torrent and burn it to a DVD at the slowest speed possible. Especially the ones with the red light cameras and speed cameras.
__________________
Greg A

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...


2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2015, 09:43 PM
All-Or-Nothing's Avatar
All-Or-Nothing All-Or-Nothing is offline
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts
Location: Big Ol' House
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 934
Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 E63650i View Post
Your car definitely uses the CCC iDrive system, so it will use a navigation DVD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-BMW-Nav...1f7db7&vxp=mtr

Hope this helps!


I'm such an impulse buyer. I just bought this from your link. Can't beat $15......
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-2015, 11:38 PM
07 E63650i's Avatar
07 E63650i 07 E63650i is online now
Living in Fast Forward
Location: Southern California, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,526
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
I'm such an impulse buyer. I just bought this from your link. Can't beat $15......

I purchased a 2-disc set of 2014 maps off eBay last year for $15 and they work just fine!

How's Cambodia been for you lately?
__________________
Once a 6'er, always a 6'er.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2015, 08:32 PM
ctoro99 ctoro99 is offline
Registered User
Location: Baltimore, MD.
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2008 650 Coupe
Ok, so do the same rules apply to say, a 2010? I have seen the disks on ebay but have no idea of the Nav system type on my car. Someone had a post about needing some sort of code. Any thoughts?

Last edited by ctoro99; 04-03-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2015, 09:28 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,606
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoro99 View Post
Ok, so do the same rules apply to say, a 2010? I have seen the disks on ebay but have no idea of the Nav system type on my car. Someone had a post about needing some sort of code. Any thoughts?
Good question. 2004-2009 use a DVD. The 2010 has a totally different NAV system called the CIC and gets updated via the USB in the glovebox. Earlier models can use the latest discs. Some need a software update that is normally on the disc.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

Last edited by roseng; 04-03-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-2015, 07:00 PM
BMW_Stu BMW_Stu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: md
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 221
Mein Auto: Camaro, soon to have BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoro99 View Post
Ok, so do the same rules apply to say, a 2010? I have seen the disks on ebay but have no idea of the Nav system type on my car. Someone had a post about needing some sort of code. Any thoughts?
Yeah, 2010 uses the CIC, upgrading it can be a long painful process from what i've read, and you can potentially mess things up. As a DIYer, i think i'd shell out the $$$ and go to the dealer for that one. At least then yiou can pimp out in a 435 while the dealer screws with it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-04-2015, 09:16 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,606
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Stu View Post
Yeah, 2010 uses the CIC, upgrading it can be a long painful process from what i've read, and you can potentially mess things up. As a DIYer, i think i'd shell out the $$$ and go to the dealer for that one. At least then yiou can pimp out in a 435 while the dealer screws with it.
Not sure where you heard that, but I just upgraded my CIC to the 2015 maps and a friend with an M6 with a CIC did the same.

Piece of cake, fast, easy and no issues at all.

Unless you mean upgrading from a CCC to a CIC, in which case you are correct.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

Last edited by roseng; 04-04-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-06-2015, 12:55 PM
ctoro99 ctoro99 is offline
Registered User
Location: Baltimore, MD.
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2008 650 Coupe
OK so I've been communicating with "D" and he does have a lot of detailed information on the matter. Apparently the 2010s within a specific manufactured year/months had some known issues which made the map upgrade tricky. He said the prefered method for my year model is via USB. So I downloaded the applicable version and just need to get the FSB code from him. The file is fairly big at (a tune of 15.2 GBs) and he recommends using a 32 GB jump drive. I'll post results once loaded.

Last edited by ctoro99; 04-06-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-06-2015, 02:41 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,606
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoro99 View Post
OK so I've been communicating with "D" and he does have a lot of detailed information on the matter. Apparently the 2010s within a specific manufactured year/months had some known issues which made the map upgrade tricky. He said the prefered method for my year model is via USB. So I downloaded the applicable version and just need to get the FSB code from him. The file is fairly big at (a tune of 15.2 GBs) and he recommends using a 32 GB jump drive. I'll post results once loaded.
FYI,
When we did it we actually had 4 32G drives. it's not totally a capacity thing.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-06-2015, 03:56 PM
ctoro99 ctoro99 is offline
Registered User
Location: Baltimore, MD.
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2008 650 Coupe
Per his instructions, you can actually do it with one USB drive, just need to go back to your machine and move the active file to the root of the drive. Again, this is something that I'm yet to do so...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-06-2015, 03:58 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,606
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoro99 View Post
Per his instructions, you can actually do it with one USB drive, just need to go back to your machine and move the active file to the root of the drive. Again, this is something that I'm yet to do so...
Correct. It looks like a different drive then. Strange, but true.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-09-2015, 06:56 PM
ctoro99 ctoro99 is offline
Registered User
Location: Baltimore, MD.
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2008 650 Coupe
The deed is done. Not a fast process by any means since copying the maps to the jump drive alone took a bit-o-time. I managed to format a 128GB USB drive using FAT32 (tricky). Ended up with just 32GB of usable space but it was all I needed. 3 folders - USB1, 2 and 3, go figure. Had to move text and data files from each folder to the root of the drive, go back to the car and continue operations. Time average for loading per USB Folder was about 11 minutes. I left the second batch unattended and the system went back to ask for USB1, too late in the day, I decided to abandon install for the next day. Loaded USB1 again after coming home from work and the file was actually there, back to computer to move files, loaded USB2 - it was 80% there too, waited for it to finish, loaded the last batch = installation complete. Total expense? $50.00. Dracon came through with the FSC code the day I paid. He also responded to my messages withing the hour or the next day at the latest. He's very knowledgeable and supportive. I gotta say, my 2010 was also very forgiving as I thought I had to start from scratch but it actually stored progress made the day before. IMHO this was definitely worth it.

Last edited by ctoro99; 04-09-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-09-2015, 09:22 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,606
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoro99 View Post
The deed is done. Not a fast process by any means since copying the maps to the jump drive alone took a bit-o-time. I managed to format a 128GB USB drive using FAT32 (tricky). Ended up with just 32GB of usable space but it was all I needed. 3 folders - USB1, 2 and 3, go figure. Had to move text and data files from each folder to the root of the drive, go back to the car and continue operations. Time average for loading per USB Folder was about 11 minutes. I left the second batch unattended and the system went back to ask for USB1, too late in the day, I decided to abandon install for the next day. Loaded USB1 again after coming home from work and the file was actually there, back to computer to move files, loaded USB2 - it was 80% there too, waited for it to finish, loaded the last batch = installation complete. Total expense? $50.00. Dracon came through with the FSC code the day I paid. He also responded to my messages withing the hour or the next day at the latest. He's very knowledgeable and supportive. I gotta say, my 2010 was also very forgiving as I thought I had to start from scratch but it actually stored progress made the day before. IMHO this was definitely worth it.
Excellent, congrats!
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms