Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 645CI Sport
Fuel Fill Jet Pump replace

On to my next project, Dose anyone an easier way to replace the Fuel Fill Jet Pump (behind the driver seat) rather then removing the fuel tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1461765012533.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	560954  
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: x5
ok i think fuel fill jet pump is long form for fuel pump...
it appears to me (mind you i haven't looked under my seat yet) from the vid you posted that is all you have to do is 'tap' that SILVER RING in the pic with a screw driver...counter clockwise... the pump should release.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuel pump removal.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	561090  
Old 04-28-2016, 09:26 AM

Hey gunyvw, thanks for the reply. Yes that is correct and I think that's the case too but I was told from a dealer that they would have to drop the fuel tank in order to have it replaced due to the cables/hoses being connected. I'm not sure how true this is that's why I wanted to see if anyone had other ideas.

I'm some what tempted to just try to do it from the top.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:35 PM

i sure hope not with it right there, knowing how i am once they said that to me i would almost HAVE to do it from the top somehow... the x5 e53 is from under the seat
just found this... for 3 series looks the same to me... also the x5 how to TEST THE CURRENT PUMP...second vid... at around 7:00

Old 04-28-2016, 10:40 PM

Great Intel. Gunyvw, unfortunately the side I need to replace is the otherside. But I did learn some good pointers I could try to experiment myself. Good looking out.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: '10 650i Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW645CA View Post
Hey gunyvw, thanks for the reply. Yes that is correct and I think that's the case too but I was told from a dealer that they would have to drop the fuel tank in order to have it replaced due to the cables/hoses being connected. I'm not sure how true this is that's why I wanted to see if anyone had other ideas.

I had to replace one on a Cadillac CTS....I cheated and cut a hole.....three side, bent it back. Then bent it back forward, and some of the tar tape used to seal new home windows to seal around the cut.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Falcon View Post
I had to replace one on a Cadillac CTS....I cheated and cut a hole.....three side, bent it back. Then bent it back forward, and some of the tar tape used to seal new home windows to seal around the cut.
works every time... keeping in mind not to cut anything critcal
Old 04-29-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW645CA View Post

i'm confused, not trying to be an a** but i'm not getting a few things... help me understand so if i have to deal with it i can do it as well.

1st off can you remove the jet pump ring...
2nd are you saying that the lines (inside the tank) are to short to allow it to come out
and
3rd if they are i am wondering how dropping the tank going to change the latter...
4th if all else fails dropping the tanks shouldn't be that bad... i hate being on the ground with it too... but elevating the rear, most likely with ramps or jack stands, and releasing the straps should get it done.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:24 PM

Mission complete the whole project to about an 1.5 hours. It's possible the gain access to the fuel fill jet pump from the rear seat without removing the exhaust and fuel tank (would have cost $650 just on Labor) :o

You will also have plenty of space to disconnect all hoses plugs!

Yup, so it's completely doable! No more crank but won't start for me, at least for now. Hope this information helps!

Thanks everyone for all the tips
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1462504842473.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	562158   Click image for larger version

Name:	1462504854715.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	562159  

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search