Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i coupe
Timing case cover and tie rod bushings

Took my 08 650 coupe in to the dealer for an engine light. Was told today I need new oxygen sensor, Timing case cover gasket leaking and new tie rod bushings. Cost: $3600. Went ahead with the o2 sensor for $600. Someone tell me what I should do about the other $3000 repairs. I'm in law school and that amount will make me drop a class or two. Just had it services in March and "none of this was noticed!" How long can I go if I don't replace right away. May upgrade in Dec.
thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 07-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645ci convertible 2004
timing gasket might not be that bad right now,depending if its a big leak but the tie rod bushing i would adress sooner cause crap will get in there and will cause part to break
Old 07-02-2014, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Do you have oil on the ground when you park overnight? Most likely you have the post-nasal-slow-drip going on, if so there is no hurry.

I had new bushings put in recently and it was $479 total. They can press new bushings into the control arm. Mine was a dealer cost, you would get a better price from an independent, locate a local shop that specializes in BMW. Maybe search in the 3 and 5 series sub-forums, there are a lot more of those guys and probably some South Florida folks to check with.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:58 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Take it to an Indy and see what the price for repairs will be......

How many miles on your 08? Just curious.

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
BMW shops are always looking for a way to generate money. You can keep the engine area clean, & watch the leak to see how bad it is. If you do the upper timing cover, the valve cover will have to come off also. Replacing the O2 sensor was probably a good move, to prevent other problems.

Good Luck!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewiroc View Post
Took my 08 650 coupe in to the dealer for an engine light. Was told today I need new oxygen sensor, Timing case cover gasket leaking and new tie rod bushings. Cost: $3600. Went ahead with the o2 sensor for $600. Someone tell me what I should do about the other $3000 repairs. I'm in law school and that amount will make me drop a class or two. Just had it services in March and "none of this was noticed!" How long can I go if I don't replace right away. May upgrade in Dec.
thanks.
NEVER accept an estimate from a dealer without a second opinion unless you know and trust them already.
SAs get paid commission and we have seen some awful dealers and SAs out there. Many are good and honest, but do your homework.
Here is a good place to start. http://www.bimmershops.com/

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White