Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 650i Convertible
Yep, I did the Boseman push (just a touch) at a stoplight yesterday. I seem to feel a cable coming forward out of the elbow, and just touch that.
Jim
Old 04-07-2012, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650 Convertible
Boseman you saved me! I just bought myself an 07 BMW 650 convertible and I was strongly considering a quick sale because of the reoccurring top not locked issues - as a last resort I figured I would google it and I eventually found your fix. IT WORKS!!! I am so happy! Thank you so much
Old 04-07-2012, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
Glad it helped 2fingers. Yeah, sad to say but I do this at least once or twice a week. Just something one has to live with I guess.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Once again, the Boesman Push has rescued me!!!
Love it - the "Boesman Push". That's going to live on for quite some time.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 04-08-2012, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
Love it - the "Boesman Push". That's going to live on for quite some time.
Good thing our "Boesman" friend is an Engineer and not a Proctologist, the Boesman Push would be a name that scares people off...

This fix may go down as the single best DIY fix ever found. Especially since it was such an obscure solution yet is so simple!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i convertible
Smile

Boesman push = GENIUS!

It's been a while since I ranted about my issues on this discussion, but it had been a year since the issue happened with me, and I took it to a new dealer this time just to have the issue fixed. That was back in November. Then beginning in March it recurred, on and off for the past few weeks. It would somehow reset itself every so often though so I just lived with it.

Finally, I had to get an inspection done anyway, so I thought I might as well have them try to "fix" it again (this would be time number seven in the past 3.5 years). But, I figured, I would read through this thread again - more on a "misery loves company" whim than assuming I would find a solution.

I literally just walked out to the garage, tried the Boesman push, and voila. Red light gone!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

And just FYI, this issue has happened to me on cold days, hot days, warm days, mild days, sunny, rainy, snowy, whatever. No rhyme or reason and definitely not only when it "sits in the sun."

Here's hoping the "Boesman push" solves it every time I have the issue.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 AM

Oh yeah...

Why is the "boesman push" not a sticky already???
Old 04-11-2012, 03:21 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by avoiceoreason View Post
Oh yeah...

Why is the "boesman push" not a sticky already???
Because we don't have an active moderator in the 6er sub-section.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 AM

I had to take my car in for some regular maintenance, and mentioned the top issue to my service rep. Undaunted, he wants to let his guys take another crack at fixing it. They gave me a loaner, so I figured I would let them have at it. I told him I wished him and his team all the best, but that, no offense, I didn't have much faith.

This will only be the second shot at this dealer (seventh or eighth overall), but since they have tried all the fixes previously mentioned in this forum to no avail, I'm not sure what they are going to come up with this time.

In the meantime, I thought I would demonstrate the "boesman push" to him just for kicks. Maybe that will help them somehow...or maybe they could mention it to BMW NA and demonstrate that it is far more effective in correcting the error than the service bulletin they put out so many years ago that clearly does not fix the problem.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 AM

BTW, has anyone ever had to do the push on the passenger's side? From all the posts, and from my experience, it is always on the driver's side. Any thoughts on why this might be the case?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM

Great idea to demo it to them. Would love for them to issue a recall - they should. This is clearly a defect.

I've never had to do it on the passenger side either. Maybe there's only one sensor (located on the drivers side).

Btw, in an attempt to see if I can disable the sensor a few weeks ago I partially opened the top to gain access to the sensor. I then fiddled with it, trying to unplug it. After a few minutes of trying I gave up and abandoned the idea. What's really weird now is that it hasn't happened to me since. It used to happen at least a few times a week. I guess this whole thing has a mind of its own.

Regards,
Louis (aka boesman10)
Old 04-16-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoiceoreason View Post
BTW, has anyone ever had to do the push on the passenger's side? From all the posts, and from my experience, it is always on the driver's side. Any thoughts on why this might be the case?
There are two sensors and both are on the driver's side only.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:37 PM
NO H8TG

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 650i
Hey Bimmerfest bros and sis' need a quick answer if possible. Let my wife borrow my 08 650 vert. She dropped the top and now she can't et it back up because it's giving the top not locked message. I told her to take it to the stealers hip because I thought it was a warranty item but they say te not. Any suggestions on how to get the top up when u get this error. PS I dot think my wife held down the button long enough until it said convertible sequence complete. That's probably where the issue stems from
Old 04-20-2012, 04:02 PM

I have stopped the top action prematurely several times and I can tell you that is not the cause of your issue. If she did not hold the top down button until completion all you have to do is press and hold it again and it will finish the cycle.

You may need to manually raise the top, the instructions are in your manual. I believe it has been posted before but I do not have the instructions handy for you. It is a pain but maybe if you can get the top up you can push the joint and restore operation.

Have you tried lifting the boot and getting to the joint that way? Maybe you can press it while it is down and get this back to working.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 07 m6
Smile Thanks for the help! Worked great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boesman10 View Post
I live in FL and with the summer heat kicking in I have had this issue now a few times over the past few months (just got my '07 650i Convertible 5 months ago).
I have read many threads and info from other places, and found a workaround for this issue that I have not seen posted anywhere else (at least it works for me).
I've had this happen to me just this morning again (car was parked in the airport garage for a week, and after taking the red-eye back from San Francisco, I could not open the trunk, and noticed the "red convertible top blinking light" problem - last thing you want at 7am after an overnight flight.

So I did what I've now sucessfully done over the past month when this happened, the the light stops blinking right away, and things are back to normal.

So this is what I do (old school):

There's a bar (not the kind you're thinking about) with an elbow that runs behind the canvas in the back pivot point in the convertible top (forgive me - I don't know the technical terms), but the first pic shows what this looks like on the drivers side. I have drawn the approx location of where this bar lies with a red dot indicating the pivot point where the faulty sensor lies.

All I do when I run into this problem is to apply a little pressue to that pivot point with my hand (as indicated by the red dot in the pic) and the red blinking light stops blinking, and things are back to normal (shown in the second attachhment). I normally push the pivot point down towards the body of the car - not a lot of pressure is needed at all. To quantify, if you press hard enough to break an egg, it's to hard. All it needs is a gentle nudge for the sensor to engage (is my guess).

I'm assuming in my case the problem lies with the sensor on the driver side, because I never had to do this on the passenger side, but it may be that in some cases one will have to do this on the passenger side as opposed to the driver side (as shown in the third attachment).

Let me know if this helps anyone else.

This works fine for me, so I'm not planning on taking the car in for this to be fixed, since it does not look as if the successrate in addressing this is that high (and I can't do without the car for two days, and it's out of warrantee anyway).

Okay I thought no way this will fix my problem ...but it worked super ....thanks for the help.
I had tried several hard reboots and disconnected the battery but this took two seconds and all was right with the world again!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:17 PM
NO H8TG

Thanks for the suggestions 6er family. I was so frustrated that I ended up leaving it at the dealer overnight(so no sixer on a Friday night after a hard week of work). they said that the error that came up was that the top had been opened while vehicle was in motion. THANKFULLY, nothing bent or broke as a result and they reset the system and all was well again. I got the car back my 2pm saturday. And all was covered under warranty. Thank God!! A huge test of patience with the wife and I think I passed. Thanks again for the support guys.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.GQ View Post
... they said that the error that came up was that the top had been opened while vehicle was in motion. THANKFULLY, nothing bent or broke as a result....
All I can say is some service departments are utterly incompetent when I hear that they tell owners they were driving around with the top open while going faster than 20mph.

The "top not locked" issue is one of the biggest design flaws on the convertible 6er; it's well documented and there is even a TSB/SIB. All dealers should know this is a SENSOR issue.

What happens is you are driving down the road and the car erroneously determines your top is open (sensor error). Your top is securely closed but the car thinks you are ripping down the road at 60mph with the top open so it "bings" at you, locks out the windows and trunk, and also stores an error in the ECU.

Then you visit the dealer, they see the error code, and they have the gall to accuse you of driving around with the top half open at speed when they should know it was a false alarm due to a poorly designed sensor.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.GQ View Post
Thanks for the suggestions 6er family. I was so frustrated that I ended up leaving it at the dealer overnight(so no sixer on a Friday night after a hard week of work). they said that the error that came up was that the top had been opened while vehicle was in motion. THANKFULLY, nothing bent or broke as a result and they reset the system and all was well again. I got the car back my 2pm saturday. And all was covered under warranty. Thank God!! A huge test of patience with the wife and I think I passed. Thanks again for the support guys.
+1 on what Yorgi said, you have been given a load of bull. This problem has nothing to do with that, I drive while opening the top all the time. The car will only allow you to operate it at 20mph or less, if you exceed the speed it tells you on screen and the top stops, when you slow down it resumes with no problem. I have had my finger on the switch and exceeded 20mph, the top stopped so I slowed a bit without lifting my finger and it automatically continued. The same occurs if you lift your finger.

I tried to determine why my top started doing this, I though maybe it was because I was lowering by the key fob while the car was off. I stopped doing this and it still happened. It gives me the error regardless of weather conditions, I can have a beautiful week with all 75 degrees and the car has the error, even in the morning when the car is first taken out of my garage and not in direct sunlight (extra heat).
Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 AM
NO H8TG

+1 on Yorgi and Tampa.. The dumb part is that the top was completely down when I met up with my wife at the dealer. But I think if the screen doesn't say it's complete (even if there is 0.5% of the drop top sequence left), it will trip the sensor error. She did tell me that she kept seeing the reduce speed during convertible operation message, but since it was her first time using the vert option, and the top looked completely down when it threw the error, it did not make any sense. I can't imagine my wife or anyone ripping it down the road while trying to drop the top, it would turn into a parachute!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 AM
NO H8TG

Unfortunately this wasn't as easy as applying the Boesman push since the top was already down. anyone got a quick reset tip for that one? Or would I have to hand crank it back up as in the owners manual if that were to vet happen again?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW M6C
Bossman10 works great!!

So, I decided to stop the top on its way down and take a few pictures of the bar and the sensor that Bossman10 is talking about. What's real odd is that it wouldn't seem like a simple push on this bar would make any difference. But it works!

Has anyone tried replacing that sensor?

Here's a few pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-28_18-48-58.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	322903

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-28_18-54-15.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	322904

Last edited by bradhs; 04-28-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 AM

Great pics!

There is an updated (less sensitive) sensor for cars built before 08/2005 but from what I've read changing the sensor does not guarantee the problem will be fixed. A few people have brought in newer cars 10+ times with no permanent solution.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:36 AM

You won't believe this, or actually you will LOL! I drove my car through a car wash " yeah I can hear you all grunting" not the first time I admit.
Once I got out my top did the same thing freaked me out it said top not locked and my windows and trunk wouldnt work. I looked around couldn't see anything wrong so I drove the car on the freeway and it just went away. I think water got into something and it dried out and fixed itself. So I'm thinking there has to be something besides just sensors that can cause this or maybe I'm wrong I'll investigate further.

Also good job on the pictures nice work!

Last edited by Nitrogen; 04-29-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 PM

The eternal search for the root cause!

Everyone has discovered a reason...real hot weather, rain (or car wash in your case), wife not completing cycle or driving with top partially open. Problem is many more have had none of those conditions and it happens. The problem is the sensor measures in too many segments that are too tight together. So we can chalk it up to the human factor, over-engineering what should be a is a simple process. Check for top up or down, they should have ignored everything in-between.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:18 PM

I wonder if there is a way to bypass, jumper or fool the sensors to work.
I bet there is.