Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 93 318i
Pilot bearing stuck hard

Hey all, I'm changing the clutch on my 93 318i, and the pilot bearing is on tight and the bearing puller from advance auto is not getting it out. There is a small bit of rust ringing the bearing. Does anyone have any advice, perhaps a good penetrate to get in there and loosen anything up? Thanks

On a side note, I'm replacing it with an m3 fidanza aluminum flywheel and m3 sachs clutch. Does anyone have any experience or any thoughts on this setup? My main concerns are driveability and extra tranny noise. I have heard the tranny noise is not really all that exceptional unless you are having tranny problems in the first place.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Go you Good Thing

Mein Auto: e36 316I M
Mate...for the stuck bearing...WD-40....spray it all over it, let it soak, then have another go.

In relation to the M3 clutch gear, (not wanting to rain on your parade as they say), does a 318 make the kind of power that an M3 clutch is designed for.

In my honest opinion, no.

In my humble opinion, I would suggest that you purchase a standard clutch, and spend the extra money thats saved on another form of option.

Personly I think he set-up you want would really fcuk up the drivability of the car.

But, it comes down to this......its your car, you can do with it what you want. I have expressed an opinon in relation to the matter as you asked....I guess....whatever floats your boat...

Anyway...whatever you descide to do....good luck and have fun.

Cone
XXX
The best predictor for future behaviour, is past behaviour. ALSO, IT SHOULD BE NOTED:......AMATURES BUILT THE ARK..AND PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC..................QUOTE FOR THE DAY.. Good drivers know how to get out of trouble, and better drivers know how to avoid it.....The Cone 2006 & 2007
Old 08-27-2007, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 93 318i
Thanks for the input

I actually saved some cash by purchasing that setup. The alum. flywheel was 350 compared to 550. The clutch was cheaper than one from a parts store downtown. Really that is the only reason I considered it. Would it really require more power? The discs actually looked alot the same to me.

Anywho, I have to go through some rigamarole to get a spec flywheel. Looking back, I wish I had. Now I'm worried about messing up the way she drives, which I love.

Thanks again