Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1996 bmw 328is
SRS light?

Ok, so I went to the autocross yesterday, I ran about 14-15 times. My best time was 36.579 seconds, not too awful bad.

Anyway... like a lot of people here, my SRS light is just on. It has been on pretty much since I bought the car 3-4 months ago. At about the 10th or so run, I notice that my SRS light has mysteriously decided that it didnt want to come on anymore. The car still runs fine, nothing is rattling, I didnt hit anything that badly (even though it rained, and my first run after the rain i burned out in second gear and took out about 3 cones as i pretty much did a doughnut in the middle of the course). I dont think this is anything to be too concerned about, Its just another strange thing that has happend in the bmw. However I am content. I was kinda tired of that silly SRS light anyway.

Also durring the Autocross i got the brake light switch error on the OBC. I read online that its suppose to check fuses and make sure all the brake bulbs are working, which they are. So I think its just a faulty break light switch. I saw on ebay that the part is only like 12, and the instal is quite easy, so that will be another thing that i will put on my list after paying off the stage 2 software i just bought. haha.

Once the official times are put up from ccr (car club that sponsored the race yesterday) I will post them for you all. Also, just maybe there will be a picture of the car. I have been to 4 events now and no one has yet to take a picture of me, and they are suppose to have people out there taking pictures of all the cars. doh.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Clarion Head Unit : Sirius Satelite Radio : K&N Cold Air Intake : Carr Industries Short Shifter
Dinan Stage II Software : 10w 30 Royal Purple : Zimmerman Rotors : Hawk Performance Pads : Staggard M3 Wheels
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Spitfire

Mein Auto: 94' 318iS
Nice ! Can't wait to see the pictures dude !
BTW, what tires are you running ? The same set you run on the street ?
And the rotors/brake pads ?

Current:
1994 318iS

Sold:
1993 E36 325i
1999 318i E46
Old 09-02-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewerSideUp View Post
Nice ! Can't wait to see the pictures dude !
BTW, what tires are you running ? The same set you run on the street ?
And the rotors/brake pads ?
I am completly stock when it comes to suspension work. Also I am quite limited by my Continental street tires. There was another 328is there, his was a 98 though. He had no performance mods but he was running falken RT-615's, and coil-overs. The only time i was able to talk to him after a run, was after his first run, in which he DNF'd (Did Not Finish) DNF occurs when the driver runs off the preset course.

Clarion Head Unit : Sirius Satelite Radio : K&N Cold Air Intake : Carr Industries Short Shifter
Dinan Stage II Software : 10w 30 Royal Purple : Zimmerman Rotors : Hawk Performance Pads : Staggard M3 Wheels
Old 09-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Spitfire

DNF when he runs off the preset course .
You mean, if the full track length is cut to a small club track and he crosses the cones into an unused part of the track ?

Or if he just runs off the road and i stuck ?

Current:
1994 318iS

Sold:
1993 E36 325i
1999 318i E46
Old 09-02-2007, 12:02 PM

If he runs off the course at all it is a dnf. If he takes a slolam the wrong way its a DNF. if he misses a gate, its a DNF.

Slolam: the cones the are placed in a straight line, the drive has to weave in and out of them. There are pointer cones saying which side the drive is suppose to go to, if he goes on the wrong side of the pointer cone then that is a DNF.

If he hits a cone, its just a +1 which is a 2 second penalty

Old 09-02-2007, 12:03 PM

Also, if somone gets a DNF it applies to his whole run, and the time he got for that run does not count.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Spitfire

Thanks for the info dude !

Current:
1994 318iS

Sold:
1993 E36 325i
1999 318i E46
Old 09-02-2007, 01:24 PM
1 canary

Mein Auto: 1998 323i convertible
I wish my SRS light would go out. It is really annoying. I heard somewhere about a trick where you put ignition in position I, then unplug then replace the yellow plug to the seat belt tensioner, or something like that, and this resets it. Wish I could remember the sequence. Maybe it only works with OBD1.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:42 PM

I dont know, I thought I was destined to have an SRS light on forever... but its just gone now. strange.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Have you checked the passenger seat sensor mate? Common E36 issue that causes the SRS light

Edirty6 for life
Old 09-02-2007, 03:12 PM

I havent checked it actually... I am kinda lazy. If it pops back on again I will be checking it, because i was never able to get a difinitive answer saying whether or not the airbags are still functional when the SRS light is on. lol