Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-30-2007, 01:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1996 bmw 328is
window switch problem

Is there a way to free up the window switch? my driver side switch is getting really hard to push down, it has lost its "double click auto roll down" type feature now i have push really hard just to get it down at all.

can i just take off the boot for the shifter and take out the switch and try and clean it up? or should i just buy a new switch from pelican?

Also... my glove box was saggy. come to find out it was just the freaking pannel that was covering the glove box (thank you girlfriend... as she pulls the whole damn thing off)

anyway, im riding around now with a big black glove compartment with a bunch of nasty cheep yellow glue where the glove box cover used to be, in a tan leather interior mind you. what is the best way to fix this? should i just go buy some gorilla glue and just slap it back on there? Or not bother with glue at all and just screw it back on and paint the tops of the screws tan to match the interior.

once again, thanks for any advice

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Clarion Head Unit : Sirius Satelite Radio : K&N Cold Air Intake : Carr Industries Short Shifter
Dinan Stage II Software : 10w 30 Royal Purple : Zimmerman Rotors : Hawk Performance Pads : Staggard M3 Wheels
Ads by Google
Old 08-30-2007, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
Once a switch ages its usually better to just replace it as you have to go to the trouble of pulling it out anyways and also to really clean any kind of switch requires taking it apart and plastic get brittle pretty easy and breaks even easier. Id replace the switch.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:53 AM

its not that hard to pull out, I am now an expert on taking out that freaking boot. It took me SO long to change to my short shifter, but long story short I am quite familier with that area of my 328 now.

Also the switch is also only $12. I think ill just take it out try and clean it. If i break it... i break it, only $12 down the drain.

Clarion Head Unit : Sirius Satelite Radio : K&N Cold Air Intake : Carr Industries Short Shifter
Dinan Stage II Software : 10w 30 Royal Purple : Zimmerman Rotors : Hawk Performance Pads : Staggard M3 Wheels
Old 08-30-2007, 01:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
Just no switch till the new one comes in and as you pointed out its only $12

But I can see the logic of trying to clean it. All of them are the same so just get the switch and put it up, you will need it one day and then you can clean the one you have with no time delay on having the switch being missing if it does break
Old 08-30-2007, 02:00 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
This may help - http://www.understeer.com/glovebox.shtml

I would take the switch out and see what you can do buddy...hardly expensive to replace if you break it

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 AM

my thoughts exactly.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
ROFL @ your g/f breaking off the panel. I can completely see that happening to me.

Sorry that happened though. I would just get some good glue. Banish any thought of screwing it in. Now. Lol.

And I'm with BumBM - err, Crowz - on just replacing the window switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 08-30-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate_copy View Post
This may help - http://www.understeer.com/glovebox.shtml

I would take the switch out and see what you can do buddy...hardly expensive to replace if you break it
ah... well that will fix the saggy glovebox. It is a little saggy still, so that will take care of that. However i was talking about the cover for the part that actually comes down, that whole part is freaking gone. (thanks to the gf. )

Old 08-30-2007, 02:05 AM
Still here

OOOHHHHH, sorry mate

You will have to remove the glovebox and re-attach the bit of card/material

Mine did that too

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-30-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate_copy View Post
OOOHHHHH, sorry mate

You will have to remove the glovebox and re-attach the bit of card/material

Mine did that too
ahhhhh in otherwords... a lot more work than i was originally thinking about doing this weekend. Doh.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:51 PM

Ok, so I just decided to ghetto style my glove box cover. Its already in kinda iffy shape... so i just screwed it back onto the glove box. It does kinda look a bit sketchy, but i dont really care. Its on their, and it works. Fair enough

Old 08-31-2007, 12:52 PM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounzing_soulz View Post
Is there a way to free up the window switch? my driver side switch is getting really hard to push down, it has lost its "double click auto roll down" type feature now i have push really hard just to get it down at all.

can i just take off the boot for the shifter and take out the switch and try and clean it up? or should i just buy a new switch from pelican?

Also... my glove box was saggy. come to find out it was just the freaking pannel that was covering the glove box (thank you girlfriend... as she pulls the whole damn thing off)

anyway, im riding around now with a big black glove compartment with a bunch of nasty cheep yellow glue where the glove box cover used to be, in a tan leather interior mind you. what is the best way to fix this? should i just go buy some gorilla glue and just slap it back on there? Or not bother with glue at all and just screw it back on and paint the tops of the screws tan to match the interior.

once again, thanks for any advice

I would get a new window switch..

and a new girlfriend
Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 PM

haha, new switch I can do...

new girlfriend... eh if it wasnt already on the verge of falling off I would have been more upset. I think I can forgive her this time.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:26 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounzing_soulz View Post
new girlfriend... eh if it wasnt already on the verge of falling off I would have been more upset. I think I can forgive her this time.

Get your priorities straight, man. The girl can be trained. The car takes money and time and effort to repair. (Oh, wait, so does the girl.... )

Train the girl. If she doesn't learn, get rid of her, the lady comes first! And if you think I'm referring to the girlfriend when I say lady, you're wrong.

(Brittany I love you please don't read this post.........) LOLOLOL.

I kid gents, I kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 09-01-2007, 02:50 AM
Still here

....Brittany

Edirty6 for life
Old 09-01-2007, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 318tdse
u dont need to take the boot off to get the switch out just lift it up from where it is replace then push back in.

p.s. if u were in uk i would have sent u a switch free of charge as i have a few lying around
Old 09-02-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbobb View Post
u dont need to take the boot off to get the switch out just lift it up from where it is replace then push back in.

p.s. if u were in uk i would have sent u a switch free of charge as i have a few lying around
dang. thats nice of you. however shipping form the uk is no picnic.

your right though, i suspect you can get to the switch without actually taking the boot up. I know when i switched out the shifter that it was easy access and its not like its hard at all to take the boot up. So i figure I might just do that to make it easy on myself