Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
08 Mar 2009, 63,268: Monthly service check.

I don't normally post the routine monthly service check I do, but there are a couple items of note:

- Added +500 ml of oil. This seems to be becoming a trend. Engine is not blowing blue smoke, and the valve cover gasket is new. I suspect it's wearing a little and the oil consumption is going up. It's a total of 900 ml since the oil change in December.

- Add 300 ml of coolant. I went ahead and ordered a new Wahler thermostat yesterday, and will hopefully replace it this coming weekend.

- Some bastige stole three of my M-Shport valve stem caps. . I could understand taking all of them, but three? Honestly. I have no clue when this happened, but here's the wierd ironic thing: I happen to have three identical spare valve stem caps left over from a parts buy I made last year. What are the odds? That is just too funny. I mean, I'm mildly ticked about the loss, but you have to laugh at the coincidence.

- Tires at the Fast-Bob approved 36F, 38R.

- No leaks around P/S cap, so that was a good change.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328Ci; A4 1.8T
Is the Wahler more reliable than stock?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
Is the Wahler more reliable than stock?
The one on the car I took off was made by Wahler, so they must be an OEM supplier, along with Behr.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan View Post
08 Mar 2009, 63,268: Monthly service check.

- Added +500 ml of oil. This seems to be becoming a trend. Engine is not blowing blue smoke, and the valve cover gasket is new. I suspect it's wearing a little and the oil consumption is going up. It's a total of 900 ml since the oil change in December.
You need to hit redline more often. I am of the opinion the motor does better. My car has 170k miles on it, and I have driven her hard for the last 60k miles of them. Doesn't use a drop between changes.......

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 PM
B +

Mein Auto: 05 E46 ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
You need to hit redline more often. I am of the opinion the motor does better.
What's your theory ? I'd love an excuse to hit the redline more often !
Old 03-10-2009, 02:31 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyderek View Post
What's your theory ? I'd love an excuse to hit the redline more often !
It's not my theory, it is one somebody told me once (and I, like you, use it as an excuse to beat my car). The theory is that a motor that sees higher RPM's more often will produce more HP over time than one that doesn't. It is also supposed to keep everything "sealed" tighter and so forth.

Let me be clear, my comment was in partial jest for wingspan, but I believe it to be true. It is NOT MY THEORY so to anyone who wants to debate this, don't do it in this thread, and don't include me. All I know is my car is 170k miles worth of redline mania and doesn't use a DROP of oil between changes.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 03-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
You need to hit redline more often. I am of the opinion the motor does better. My car has 170k miles on it, and I have driven her hard for the last 60k miles of them. Doesn't use a drop between changes.......
I shall give that serious thought.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:49 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
I shall give that serious thought.
The magic number on the ZHP is 6850.......if you hit this number of RPM's the heavens shall open, roundels will fall from the sky, and you will be hauling serious A$$

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 03-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

13 March, 2009, 63,419: Misc. Service.

Parts (www.pelicanparts.com)

11-53-7-509-227-M2 Thermostat (65.25)
64-31-1-000-004-M87 Cabin air filter (17.00)
51-16-8-217-953-BOE Cupholder, Black, BMW E46

Notes

- Replaced the thermostat today (second new one, by Wahler, from Pelican). So far, so good, the upper part of the lower rad hose fits looser than before; but it seems to be dry after a run around the block. DIY was routine; took me about an hour start to finish. I took the liberty of re-filling with new coolant, maybe hoping to sluice out any muck that was circulating. It looked pretty clean though, having been in there only a few weeks.

We'll see.

- Cabin air filter is a routine service item.

- I got a new cupholder because after 5 and a bit years, the original one was getting a bit ratty looking.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
Was your 1st new thermostat Wahler as well?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj213 View Post
Was your 1st new thermostat Wahler as well?
Yes.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
Quote:

- I got a new cupholder because after 5 and a bit years, the original one was getting a bit ratty looking.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

11 April, 2009, 64,542: Oil Change.

Parts (www.oembimmerparts.com, www.bavauto.com)

7xquarts BMW OEM 5W-30 Oil
1xMann HU925 oil filter kit
2xFilter O-Ring BMW #11 42 1 744 001.

Notes

Mileage based Oil Service. Oil and filter change.

Tested CAB outer ball joints with channel lock pliers, no play found. CAB bushings visually inspected, no wear seen; Inner and outer bushings still appear viable.

Tire Tread (outer to inner to outer, in mm)
Front left / 6 6.5 6 5 Front Right / 6 7 6 6
Rear left / 5 6 6.5 6 Rear right / 5 6 6 6

Used a new item I made out of an old shelf and a 2x4: a pair of jack-ramps. I basically cut the lumber down to a couple 30" lengths then beveled them to 45 with the circular saw. I repeated this for the 2x4 lengths, then screwed it together with 1 1/2" drywall screws. See picture 1. Crude, but it worked well, considering the price. I did not have to use the toy jack at all to slip the service jack under the front bumper after I drove the car onto the jackramps.

Picture 2 is for the record as a snapshot of one of the Control Arm Bushings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4819.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	181043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4823.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	181044  

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 04-18-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Small A/C Service

Date: 5/22/09, mileage 66,393.

Observation: Car has a distinct lack of "coolness" in A/C effectiveness lately. Also, there seem to be what I would call high-pressure cavitation or "hiss" sounds that are very noticeable near the vents.

Diagnosis: Low on refrigerant: Conduct refill procedure.

Environment/settings: Ambient outside temperature: 80F, 80%RH (est).

Car settings: Temp: 59F, Mode: Auto, Mix: Full cold (3 blue dots), Int/Ext: Full Recirc. Air outlets: Open. Engine running, doors and windows closed.

Supplies: Refrigerant: R-134a w/ "Sub-zero synthetic A/C Booster." Weight before: 1 lb, ˝ oz. Weight after: 3 ˝ oz. Consumed: 13 oz.

Tools:
EF Products refill gauge / hose combo. Uncalibrated.
Pyrex Professional digital cooking thermometer with probe. (*)

Procedure:

1) Take current temperature readings at left, middle and right outlet ducts: 44F, 53F, 50F.

Note: Allow thermometer probe to settle 60s between readings.

2) Note system LP side pressure reading before fill: 28 psig
3) Attach refrigerant can, open fill valve, allow to fill for 15 minutes.
4) Repeat temperature readings. After fill: 41F, 39F, 39F.
5) Note system LP side pressure reading: 29 psig
6) Result: Cavitation/hiss noises are now absent, car is nicely cool.

Reference thread (previous DIY): http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...92&postcount=6

Clearly I have a slow leak somewhere, as this is the third can of refrigerant added to the car (Jan 08, Mar 08) since purchase. Will continue to monitor.

As a final note, there is a BMW AG Sticker under hood: "WARNING: R-134a only. System Capacity 1.63 lb (26.08 oz) plus or minus 0.05 lb / 740 g plus or minus 25g." As a result, I calculate I filled the system by 13 out of 26.08 oz, or approx 50% of capacity of refrigerant of the car. Since the car was cooling, albeit poorly, prior to the fill, I reckon it has somewhere on the order of 75% of the fill now.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 05-28-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:26 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Only BMW engineers could come up with such non critical requirements. They must have taken lessons from the NASA folks. Heck, just fill the AC until the pressure in the can and the system are equalized (until it ain't filling no more). When in doubt, wing it.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

27 June, 2009, 67,506: Misc Repair: Wiper Motor Cover / Cowl

Parts (www.pelicanparts.com)

1xCovering for Windshield Wiper Motor Assembly, 51-71-8-208-483 $62.25
2xWiper Blade Clamp, 61-61-8-233-577 $2.50 ea

Tools
2-Jaw Puller from Harbor Freight tools
6" Crescent Wrench
Small flatblade

Notes

At 5+ years in the Florida sun, the trailing gasket edge of the windshield wiper cover (aka "cowl") had perished and decomposed, so it was time to replace it. I ordered the parts from Pelican, they came about a week or so. I've become pretty happy with their service and parts availability.

The procedure is fairly straightforward. You pop the small plastic cover off the wiper base nut, then undo it. Repeat for the other side. You then proceed from one side or the other popping the seven clips off. I forgot to remove the microfilter cover; it would have been handier to remove it first.

I ordered 7 of the clips, but didn't need to, the new cover comes with the clips already in place.

The new cover doesn't sit quite as flat as the old one, but I think that's because the trim gasket inside isn't compressed like the OEM one. I would guess this will conform to the car once it sits out in the sun for a day.

As part of this service I renewed the wiper blade clamps, since on one of the them the locating tab had cracked off.

It took about 30 minutes to do this. Repeating it I would guess it would only take about 10 minutes or so.

One minor snag: during reassembly I had to re-mount the passenger wiper a couple times to locate it correctly, during this I managed to pop the wiper nut cover off. Natually, it flew up about 2 feet then dissapeared into the engine somewhere. So I am going to have to order a couple 61-61-8-226-006 wiper arm covers.

Picture 1: Covering removed, showing 2-jaw puller and 6" crescent. The blue painter's tape is where I marked where the wiper rests, so I could get it back in the same general location when I put each of them back on.
Picture 2: Comparison of old (foreground) vs. new (background). Note discoloration and missing chunks out of trailing edge of cover on the old cover.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4910.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	191305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4911.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	191306  

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

4 Jul, 2009, 67,743: Misc Service

Took the opportunity to get the car up on the jack and have a look at the tires/suspension.

CAB bushings visually inspected, no wear seen; Inner and outer bushings still viable.

Tire Tread (outer to inner to outer, mm)
Front left / 6.5 6.5 6.5 5.0 Front Right / 5.0 6.0 6.0 6.0
Rear left / 5.0 6.0 6.0 5.0 Rear right / 5.0 5.5 6.0 5.0

It seems to me my tire roaring is coming back at low speeds. I can't really tell from the tires but they are worn on the sides in the front in particular. I found and removed a nasty steel tack from the front left tire. I'm glad I caught this, it could have worked into the tread and caused me a major pain.

Fluids: Oil - full, power steering - full, water, could add, float level with neck; brake, ok, w/s washer - could add.

Installed Driver's side underseat first aid kit / bracket I had bought in a parts deal last year. What a swine of a job. Had to grind self-tappers after tapping to avoid fouling sport seat adjustment. Ugh. Still, it's nice to have that little storage compartment.

11 July, 2009, 66,045: Misc Repair: Headlight Bulbs

Parts: www.jlevisw.com

2x6000K D2S Headlight bulbs

Tools
T25 Torx
Magnetic Pickup
Philips / Flatblade
8mm / 10mm sockets
Pliers

Notes

Decided to install those 6000K bulbs I'd had since last year. I had replaced the headlight lenses, and the projector bowls, but never swapped the bulbs out.

Right side is easy as pie, but I'd forgotten what fun doing the left is. I took out the airbox (bonus: got opportunity to clean the MAF), schnorkle, front air channel etc. before removing the headlight assembly in order to pop the HID cover off. One of the headlight retaining connectors took the opportunity to crack along the mounting lug and dissapear into the engine bay. I jammed it back on, so hopefully it will stay. I guess after 5 years+ of age the plastic got brittle (plus me yanking them on and off as I fixed the headlights. )

The OEM bulbs were ok, I just basically wanted to swap them out to see how the 6000K bulbs looked, since I had them and all. Also I was wondering if new bulbs would make a difference, since it seems to me that the lights could have been a little brighter after I'd gotten the projector bowl problem solved a while ago.

Very nice they look too, a shade bluer than the OEM (Philips D2S, 4500K) which have a white-ish hue. I'm aware the increase in color temperature will throw less light, but they do look the bomb for now.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

6 Sep 2009, 69,758: Oil Change.

Parts (www.pelicanparts.com, www.oembimmerparts.com)

7xquarts BMW OEM 5W-30 Oil
1xMahle oil filter

Service Item:

Mileage based Oil Service. Oil and filter change.

7 Sep 2009, 69785: Gasoline Additive

Service Item:

Added 1xTechroline fuel cleaner and filled tank.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

7 Sep 09, 69,789: Brake Fluid Flush.

Flushed brake fluid through with 2x0.5l Ate SL DOT 4 fluid (www.oembimmerparts.com), $6.99 ea plus shipping. Used my Motive power bleeder and Turner Motorsports catch bottle.

Removed and replaced roadwheels. All ok. PZero's wearing evenly. Checked brakes. Nothing amiss. Plenty of pad left. Average front rotor thickness 25.00 mm (min th. 23.4) average rear 22.00. Filled tires to 36F / 38F. 57 psi spare.

Last edited by MMME30W; 09-11-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci ZSP & ZPP
Well, I've only had my baby for five weeks as of tomorrow but I've already managed to stack up a nice little list of repairs/services in that short time:

Replaced DISA valve
Replaced #2 Coil
Replaced Drive Belts
Replaced Master Key
Fuel Injection Cleaning
Replaced Valve Cover Gasket
Replaced Lower Control Arm Bushings
Repaired Fog Lamp Wiring
Replaced Exterior Temperature Sensor
Old 09-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Car turned 6 years old this month, covering 24,767 miles since the expiration of the warranty.

For the record, I've spent $2,549.87 in maintenance, $599.42 in unscheduled repairs, and $185.45 in modifications or accesories over the last two years.

Key Maintenance items were:
- Major Brake Service, front and rear, pads and rotors
- Major Cooling Service, expansion tank, hoses, thermostat, water pump
- Belts
- 5 oil changes
- Four new tires
- Spark plugs
- Valve Cover Gasket
- MT and Diff Fluid Change
- 2 sets of wiper blades

Unscheduled maintenance and repairs are:
- Windshield wiper cowl replacement
- Headlamp bowl replacement
- $50 in paint and sundrys resulting from 15 yard illegal contact penalty with a curb

Average mileage has been 11,677 per year. The last five fuel fill-ups averaged 23.5 mpg.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

25 Oct 2009, 72,018: Air Filter, Wiper Blade Inserts

Replaced Air Filter. Replaced Wiper Blades.

13-72-1-744-869 Air Filter $24.30
61-61-0-154-440 Wiper Blades $14.70

Inspected tire tread depth, F/R, R/L, in mm:

4.5 / 4.5
4.0 / 4.0

Tires have 16,866 miles, Pirelli PZero Neros. Wearing from inner edge on front, outer edge on rear. Depths measured are minimum found.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Snap. Crackle. Pop.

Well, isn't this fun. Parked up to go into a store and right rear window would not raise up, accompanied by dramatic clicking/grinding noise.

Drove home to dissassemble the door, found the regulator in the shape pictured.

Decided to try a 'fest sponsor this time, www.fcpgroton.com. RR Regulator part no. 51358212100 goes for $60.00, so I ordered it up. I guess I could have gone to the dealer, but at a list price of about $120, I can wait. Plus I will be out of town next few days, so no problem.

I held the window in place with some duct tape, for the time being.

(EDIT Just wanted to add the duct tape is not visible from the outside. )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5003.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	208310  

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 11-14-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

20 November 2009 73,131 Replaced right rear window regulator

See above post. Documented DIY here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...44&postcount=4

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

21 November 2009 Misc Time-Based Service Items

73,215 miles.

1. Noted right rear tire seemed low, PSI at 15.0. Conducted visual inspection, found some kind of nail or tack in outer tread rib. Took tire to local Tire Kingdom shop here in Winter Springs for a plug. $29.96 later, tire is now holding air. Have used these guys before, they were able to work me in. I'd recommend them. Also kudos to Young Master Wingspan who spotted the tire was low while we were out.

2. Service spreadsheet indicates diff fluid time for change. Drained diff fluid and replaced with Redline 75W90 Gear oil. 2 x $9.95. Gah, why does that stuff stink so much? Diff fluid had 24k miles on it and it was very black looking. Once again, although this is supposed to be lifetime fluid, I can't see why you'd leave this in the diff for 100K. *

3. Service spreadsheet indicates cabin microfilter due for change. MANN cabin microfilter CUK 6724. Part no. 64 31 9 071 935 "Interior Cabin Air Microfilter - Activated Carbon 2003 330i" $29.95 *

4. Wear noted on center tray. Replaced. BMW Part no. 51 16 8 217 957 "Center Console Oddments Tray With Coinbox - Black*2003*330i" $29.95 *

* all parts from www.bavauto.com. I wanted to have everything in one order, which they had. They may not have the absolute lowest price, but their selection is outstanding.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 11-21-2009 at 02:03 PM.