Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Geez, bad weekend for random faults: Had a "bad bulb" warning come up on the display, left rear stop light.

Sure enough, checked visually and bulp burnt to a crisp.

Interestingly when I checked the other three bulbs in the cluster, one of them simply separated from the metal carrier...yikes.

Went to local parts store and got 4xSylvania long life #7506LL bulbs and replaced all the ones on the left...would have done all eight but they didn't have them in stock...

EDIT 11/29/09: Replaced right hand four bulbs, same 7506LL bulbs. Intersting, one of this set also was blackened on the bulb, but clearly not as much as the failed one. Soon to fail though...Good PM for $20 to avoid a blown bulb on a dark and stormy night.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 11-29-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it's been bucketing rain the last few days, and my wipers are not doing well. I changed the refills to OEM rubber back in October, but I re-used the original-to-the-car frames...now I'm wondering if that was such a good idea.

Both of them are cleaning ok, but are chattering like a son of a gun across the glass. I know the window is clean, and I have fresh RainX on as well. I also cleaned the blades with alcohol to attempt to remove any film. But it's no better.

Anyways, I picked up a new set of refills today, I have my last set of frames as a spare to try as well.

I am actually wondering if the frames wear out; would it be possible if the metal fittings on the suspension loosen over time and allow too much play in the joints, leading to an overall lack of rigidity in the assembly?

Tomorrow I'm also going to replace the right headlight with another used ZKW assembly I bought off a guy a few months ago. Maybe there will be some improvement, because they are starting to go bad again. I will also probably put the OEM 4300 D2S bulbs back in while I am at it, I like the bling of the 6000K bulbs but I need all the illumination I can get at this point.

I really need a more permanent solution though, so am looking for a set of AL replacements now.

EDIT Saturday update: Swapped out the 6000K bulbs for the original 4300K D2S bulbs. Lights are 'yellower', but I used a white sheet of paper to do a simple before and after, and it seems to me that, as many say, the light output is a little better with the warmer color temperature bulb.

Also put the previous set of wiper blade frames back on; I took the opportunity to slightly "tighten" the U of the wiper arm so that the wiper frames were very firmly held by the blade. Had much reduced if not eliminated chatter on the blades.

Checked all fluids, all ok, except had to add 200 ml of coolant.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 12-05-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

2 Jan 2010: 75,243 miles, Steering Knuckle Replacement

Parts:

2xOEM E-10 Torx Bolts 32-30-6-778-609-BOE $1.00
1xOEM Knuckle "Steering Coupling" 32-30-1-094-703 $52.50

Source: www.pelicanparts.com

Had been having shimmy/loose feel in steering lately. Diagnosed faulty steering knuckle. Replaced steering knuckle, following DIY here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=417082

Steering feel much improved.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

5 Jan 2010: New battery.

Got intermittent drop outs from radio, occasional flicker of SES / BATT lights. Car died on way into parking lot at mall. Seems to me the car was also starting a little slower. Have been having near record lows for Orlando, probably didn't help. Checked log and battery was the second one, replaced Aug 07, so the life was a little over 29 months. Odd, but there you go.

Replaced with Walmart 94R EverStart battery $75.00.

EDIT

Some additional info: The OEM Battery is listed as 80 Amp hours, "140RC" and 640 cold cranking amps. Out of the car, the open circuit voltage measures 12.76VDC. That's not too bad but of course I didn't measure it with a load on it. Clearly that was the problem as today I had no recurrence of the flicker of dash lights.

Tonight I removed the vent tube elbow from the OEM battery and placed it into the hole in the "+" side of the 94R; it fit perfectly. I noticed that the OEM battery had a web of plastic on the vent hole on the "-" side of the battery, so I felt it was ok to leave the vent hole on the 94R open as well.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 01-06-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Time to record a few items.

13 Jan 2010 76,038 miles

Added 1 litre of Pro-Guard with Techroline gasoline additive.

22 Jan 2010 76,300 miles

Front right turn signal inop, getting "fast" blink and bulb doesn't illuminate. Removed bulb. Discovered wear/abrasion at base, leading to failure to contact. Swapped bulb for spare from rear bulb replacement.

30 Jan 2010: 76,920 miles

Performed several small services.

A/C Service

Been noticing usual "hiss" from A/C lately. Tested with thermometer (ambient 66F, temperature set to 59F, mix control on middle) left vent 40 deg, center vent 40 deg, right vent 39 deg. Attached fill device and measured 27 psi on low side, with engine running.

Filled A/C with Quest R-134A with Stop Leak, previously purchased. Can is 15.5 oz before fill. After fill, can is 5 oz.

Measured left vent 38 deg, center vent is 35 deg, right vent is 38 and no more high frequency "hiss" sound. Fill device gauge now reads 30 psi.

Oil Change

Standard oil change using my trusty Mityvac. Used a Mann HU925/4 Evotop filter, and 7 x BMW OEM 5W-30 fully synthetic, previously purchased.

Right Hand Headlight Projector Bowl

Yes, again.

Removed right hand headlight assembly, removed projector bowl. See picture. Guess which was in the car?

Sigh.

Last time I did this was at 59K in Dec 08, so after 18K miles and 13 months of driving, another E46 ZKW projector bowl is toast. Mind you, I bought this set used, and they looked "reasonable" when I got them, but I don't know how much wear was on them.

Certainly this one looks very poor upon removal from the car.

I'm virtually certain the other (left) one also needs replacing, so I'll be trawling eBay for parts.

This replacement was extracted from a damaged headlight assembly I bought off a guy here on the fest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p_bowls.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	216668  

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

7 Feb 2010: 77,429

Inspection I+

Service spreadsheet indicates time for "Inspection I". Used Bentley E46 manual and covered Inspection I checklist for front end items. Elevated front and removed front road wheels. Brake disk at 24.80 mm average thickness. Slight deflection in centre ball joint of control arms. Hmmm, guess with 77K miles, it's really past time to replace these. CAB whole/not leaking, but bushing still stiff when pressed. Measured sway bar thickness at 23.70 mm (just curious what it was. Brake pads at approx 9mm each side. Exhaust ok. Fuel lines and filter connections ok. Steering rack and tie rod ends ok. Coolant ok.

Noted front grille intake covers lower clips perished and broken and grilles loose in frame. I guess this is the most likely source of the small oddly shaped black plastic bits I'd seen on garage floor (the clips that are broken are black plastic.) Checked parts on www.pelicanparts.com, looks like about a $65.00 item each side, so no too bad, I guess. Duct taped grilles in place for now.

Tires inflated to 36F / 38R.

Tire Wear measurements: (in profile, front left to right rear)
4.0 4.0 4.0 4.0 ..... 3.5 4.0 4.0 4.0
3.0 4.0 4.0 3.5 ..... 3.0 3.5 3.5 4.0

Reset Service Indicator.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 02-07-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

14 Mar 2010, 80,128 miles

Set of Tires, Front end alignment

Front right tire soon requires replacement due to knot/bulge in sidewall due to pothole. Rest of tires at/near wear limit.

Stopped into local tire fitter and took advantage of ongoing sale to get all four tires replaced and front end aligned. Replaced Pirelli PZero Nero (24,976 on these tiress) with set of Sumitomo HTR Z III's.

Car no longer exhibits recent shimmy, tracking is straight and true. Service center advises soon to need replacement of strut/shock, indicates CAB/ball joints ok, oddly enough.

Out the door $738.88.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 03-22-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

22 Mar 2010, 80,740 miles.

Time to record a few items.

Blown Fuse

Had my old GPS unit power plug grenade while in the socket; the metal plug end caused a short thus blowing fuse #47. Got a spares pack from the auto store for $4.39 and replaced the 20A fuse.

Power Steering Fluid

Bought a container of Castrol ATF to do the power steering fluid change this weekend. $4.49.

Front Kidney Grills Loose

Bought a tube of clear RTV to see if I can attach the front kidney grills temporarily; the snaps on both have perished and dropped off so the grills are just kind of sitting in place. I plan to RTV them to the hood temporarily while I order a new set.

Front Hood Roundel

My front "BMW" roundel paint has come off, so now I'm driving a "B". Ordered a new roundel and a couple grommets from www.pelicanparts.com:

51-14-1-807-495-M58 $0.50 2 $1.00
Roundel Grommet, 2 required per emblem, sold per EACH, BMW. Fits 51-
14-8-132-375-M295 Roundel

----------------------------------------------------------------------
51-14-8-132-375-M9 $28.75 1 $28.75
Emblem (Roundel) 82.5 mm

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

25 Mar 2010, 80,937 miles.

Replaced BMW "Roundel" on front forward of hood with part from www.pelicanparts.com; see above.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
I bought my car last week, and the camshaft sensor went bad. My car died at 12:00am. Luckily, I got it fixed at the dealers for free . Theres a lot of repairs :/
Old 05-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

13 May 2010, 84,497 miles

Drained and refilled Power Steering Reservoir; performed procedure twice to circulate fluid, backing car out of garage and winding lock full on either side three times to try and circulate fluid. Used Castrol Import Car ATF purchased previously. Used my Mityvac (of course!) to suck out fluid from chamber. Replaced p/s reservoir cap, but no sock, unfortunately.

EDIT A few weeks ago I did RTV the grills in place, seem to be holding fine.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 05-22-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: wrong date :)
Old 05-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

22 May 2010 85,148 miles

Oil and filter change

Nothing out of the ordinary, used my Mityvac to suck out the oil as usual. I bought the normal case of BMW OEM 5w-30 oil for $5.62 per quart locally at Fields BMW in Winter Park. The guy was good, at the checkout I noticed I did not have my BMW CCA card on me; he gave me the discount anyway as a courtesy. Well done Fields BMW Parts Counter!

It doesn't get any easier than a Mityvac; took me maybe all of 25 minutes from start to finish and I was drinking a diet Iced Tea all the way. I really worked on the last ten minutes; letting it drain then sucking a tiny bit out. Must have gotten more oil than usual because I used exactly 7.0 quarts (6.622l) and the oil was dead nuts on the top of the mark. Usually I have a little left over with the seventh bottle when I get done.

OCI was a little long for me, about 7,300 or so; oil was the usual black color, but as others more expert than me have noted, it'd take a real oil analysis to detect any problems. I'm comfortable halving the BMW service interval for my car.

I used my supply of Mann Evotop 925/X4 filters I bought a while ago. Have one left. Swapped the big O-ring, but the two on the pickup shaft looked ok; I'll swap them next time.

Also picked up a pair of wiper refills I will do sometime this weekend.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

28 May 2010

Installed set OEM Wiper Blade refills, #61-61-0-154-440, $14.70 plus tax per pair at the dealer.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
I think I'll stick to my Excel spreadsheet..
Old 08-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

26 Aug 2010, 90,311 miles

Shop repair at a local independent garage near me.

- Air Mass Meter
- Crankcase Vent Valve
- Intake Manifold Runner Valve
- four other breather hoses and an air filter

Plus labor, all in at $1,553.04

Car was idling poorly, especially when cold. SES light was on also.

After service, runs much better, seems like there was a loss of power before that I had gotten used to, I guess.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

25 Sep 2010, 93,798

Small service: Engine Oil and Filter, MT fluid drain and fill, Gummipflege.

Notes:

Had to do the engine oil drain via the sump plug because I could not locate my Mityvac hoses - what a PITA. Used my usual normal BMW OEM 5W-30 oil and a Mann Evotop HU925/4 filter. This is the last one from a batch of six from www.oembimmerparts.com, soon to need a new set.

MT Fluid used was MTF 2 SAE 75W-80 API GL-4 Pentosin Werke I ordered from Pelican parts. I measured the drained fluid, as well as the remainder of the new fluid after topping off,and the capacity of my transmission is exactly 1.6 litres (2003 6 speed ZHP). I bought the usual 2 x 1 litre containers, and used a small hand-pump I bought to transfer the fluid into the transmission until it started dripping out, then plugged it back. I could not remember the torque specs so I set my wrench to 18 lb-ft and snugged it down. The rubber washers seems a little flattened, I suppose I will see if I can repace them in 30K miles when I do it next time. MT feels a little slicker, guess it's the new fluid.

Coolant level was ok, brake fluid ok (soon need to flush and fill), P/S resevoir ok. I need a new front right jack pad, as I had driven over something at Church the other week and it tore the jack pad out, causing one of the attachment lugs to shear off.

Took the opportunity to do all the rubber seals with Gummipflege. I noticed that some of the fabric on the right hand A-pillar covering was de-attaching, I need to get some fabric glue soon as there are several spots where the fabric is getting saggy and old. Sign of old age / Florida sunshine I guess.

Engine is really running well after the service in August, spins up to redline () as quickly as always and does not use a drop of oil.

Seven years later I still really do like this car.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Unscheduled service call: Major Coolant Leak

10/31/10 95,989 miles. Came out of Church to discover the coolant light was Yellow. I looked and saw coolant dripping from the lower part of the expantion tank area. Hmm.

Drove to a drug store to get some distilled water, and poured in a gallon; at this point, it ran onto the ground, so I knew something major was up.

I lowered the shroud and saw water leaking from the bottom of the tank near the coolant level sensor. Also Hmm.

Got the car flatbedded home (see pic; first time ever on a flatbed) and took apart the cooling system.

Sure enough, the expansion tank I installed Feb of last year has a 7-inch crack down the side.

Will use other car to go to get a new tank Monday. I think I will go ahead and get the BMW OEM tank this time; no more aftermarket parts for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flatbed.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	252584  

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post

10/31/10 95,989 miles. Came out of Church to discover the coolant light was Yellow. I looked and saw coolant dripping from the lower part of the expantion tank area. Hmm.

Drove to a drug store to get some distilled water, and poured in a gallon; at this point, it ran onto the ground, so I knew something major was up.

I lowered the shroud and saw water leaking from the bottom of the tank near the coolant level sensor. Also Hmm.

Got the car flatbedded home (see pic; first time ever on a flatbed) and took apart the cooling system.

Sure enough, the expansion tank I installed Feb of last year has a 7-inch crack down the side.

Will use other car to go to get a new tank Monday. I think I will go ahead and get the BMW OEM tank this time; no more aftermarket parts for me.
That's lousy, but at least you knew how to handle it -- no overheated engine issues.

Good luck on the fix.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
Do you remember the brand of the expansion tank that's on your car currently? My less than 2 year old expansion tank (MTC from Autohaus I think) has developed a leak as well I already ordered an OEM one from Pelican Parts to to replace with.. not looking forward to fighting the removal!
Quote:

31/10 95,989 miles. Came out of Church to discover the coolant light was Yellow. I looked and saw coolant dripping from the lower part of the expantion tank area. Hmm.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj213 View Post
Do you remember the brand of the expansion tank that's on your car currently? My less than 2 year old expansion tank (MTC from Autohaus I think) has developed a leak as well I already ordered an OEM one from Pelican Parts to to replace with.. not looking forward to fighting the removal!
Um. Well. Yes.

It was from www.autohausaz.com. I recall the OEM BMW trademarks had been erased from the tank.

One wonders why it was so cheap.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

...and the car is back on the road.

I got well and truly hosed at the dealership, check these prices out:

Expansion Tank - $125.75
Leveling sensor - $35.82
Coolant - $20.95.

After picking myself up off the floor in front of the parts counter where I had collapsed hyperventilating, I proceeded home and dialed in the new parts.

I wanted to get a new sensor because I didn't want to fiddle with the old one in the new tank and the chance of a leak. I know, I know, I overpaid for the parts, but when you need the car to get back in service I had no other option, really, but to pay through the nose.

At any rate, I got everything installed ok. I had to change over the metal bail on the bottom of the tank from old to new, otherwise it went pretty much by the book. I started at about 9.00AM and had the car running on the jackstands at 10.45. Went around the block, no leaks so far, touch wood.

I took the opportunity to replace both front turn signal bulbs (one burnt out last week) fill up the tyres (36F, 38R), add 300 ml of oil and reset the service indicator, and wash the car.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 11-01-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

2 Jan 2011.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100k.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	260714  

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Congrats on the milestone! ZHP's seem to get better with age so you are just getting to "the good part"!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 06-08-2011, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

7 Jun 2011 104,992

Routine Service

Oil change 7xBMW OEM 5W-30 Synthetic, filter. Air Filter. Cabin Microfilter.

Misc. Notes:

- R/F CAB evidence of leaking fluid. Well, duh, at 100K miles, no kidding. So this is the leading cause of the slight shimmy upon light braking I've seen lately IMHO
- Added 500 ml water to the expansion tank. It was a little low.
- Fabric on A/B pillars is coming adrift in typical E46 fashion. Not really noticeable except for slight misalignment of bottom of A-pillar trim fabric and around seat belt retractor trim.
- Dead pedal trim plastic broken (you can't see it but the edge/lip finally cracked all the way through. Will need to address by some means.
- Front serpentine belt indicates some cracking where it wraps around the deflection roller. Hmmm. Likely will change these shortly.
- A/C measures 41F left, 39 center, 41 right, set to 59F / Full cold in the garage at an ambient 91 degrees. Also getting slight cavitation noise. Guess it's about half full of refrigerant (these are the typical symptoms I get when the refrigerant is low.) Will need to pick up a fill kit.
- I took off the seat cover I usually use and found some light wear on the left front seat bolster edge. Nothing major, just looks worn a bit.
- Tires are about 3mm rear, 4 mm front. Ok they may not be Pilot Sports but the Sumitomos are wearing well with 24,422 miles on them.

Oh, and the car is for sale. Kind of bummed about that. But a new one is on the way, and there's going to be no room in the garage.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:12 AM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:
7 Jun 2011 104,992

- A/C measures 41F left, 39 center, 41 right, set to 59F / Full cold in the garage at an ambient 91 degrees. Also getting slight cavitation noise. Guess it's about half full of refrigerant (these are the typical symptoms I get when the refrigerant is low.) Will need to pick up a fill kit.
Do you consider this not cold enough and low on refrigerant? Why? I wish I could measure anything below 59F. I've always thought my ac was not cold enough...