Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-08-2011, 07:09 AM
3 Pedals of Course

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
llando, huge thank you for not only taking incredible care of your ZHP, but documenting it on the 'fest for everyone to benefit from.

I picked up a 2000 328Ci with 100k. The car was in great shape, I made sure of that. But now I'm going through the process of replacing all those bits and peices to keep the car running strong.

I'll be following along with this thread to do so.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
Do you consider this not cold enough and low on refrigerant? Why? I wish I could measure anything below 59F. I've always thought my ac was not cold enough...
Yeah, that doesn't seem right. My car usually hits between 4-8C (with IR thermometer at the vents), even in this Texas heat.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Do you consider this not cold enough and low on refrigerant? Why? I wish I could measure anything below 59F. I've always thought my ac was not cold enough...

No, not based on previous meaasurements. I believe I've gotten about 37 consistently when the system is full.

I also factor in it's been a considerable period since my last refill, plus the tell tale cavitation/hissing noise from the front right of the dashboard. I dunno, I guess I've gotten pretty close to reading this car after 8 years.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs328Ci View Post
llando, huge thank you for not only taking incredible care of your ZHP, but documenting it on the 'fest for everyone to benefit from.

I picked up a 2000 328Ci with 100k. The car was in great shape, I made sure of that. But now I'm going through the process of replacing all those bits and peices to keep the car running strong.

I'll be following along with this thread to do so.
Great! It was always my intention that someone would benefit from all this stuff in "one" place for a "typical" car. Believe me, I am no expert mechanic, but I firmly believe with the 'fest, a few solid hand tools and some time, you can save quite a lot of money by maintaining these cars yourself.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Great! It was always my intention that someone would benefit from all this stuff in "one" place for a "typical" car. Believe me, I am no expert mechanic, but I firmly believe with the 'fest, a few solid hand tools and some time, you can save quite a lot of money by maintaining these cars yourself.
The words of truth, I would not be able to afford the damn thing if it was not for this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
No, not based on previous meaasurements. I believe I've gotten about 37 consistently when the system is full.

I also factor in it's been a considerable period since my last refill, plus the tell tale cavitation/hissing noise from the front right of the dashboard. I dunno, I guess I've gotten pretty close to reading this car after 8 years.
Tell me please, do you fill it yourself or do you have it filled professionally?( I read horror stories about DIY approach dealing with filling refrigerant.) Now I'm sure I need a refill, 'cause it's kind of cold but at the same time I think it could be colder.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

105,013 miles, 10 June 2011

Replaced both poly rib V-belts. I'd seen some cracking of the outer V-belt the other day. After I took them off, I noticed significant alligatoring of underside of ribs and dry/crackling sound upon removal.

BMW OEM Parts, bought at the dealer:

11 28 1 705 545 $51.33
11 28 7 512 762 $36.31

Procedure:

- Remove top of air box intake (3xplastic press fittings)
- Unplug electric fan connectors (2xconnectors)
- Remove electric fan assembly (Torx screw, 1xplastic press fitting) up and out of car
- Lever off 2xplastic covers on deflection rollers
- Use ratchet wrench with a Torx bit, deflect roller to unloosen outer belt, slip off
- Repeat for inner belt
- Installation is the reverse of removal, as they say.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The words of truth, I would not be able to afford the damn thing if it was not for this place.

Tell me please, do you fill it yourself or do you have it filled professionally?( I read horror stories about DIY approach dealing with filling refrigerant.) Now I'm sure I need a refill, 'cause it's kind of cold but at the same time I think it could be colder.
Starless - I fill it myself using a simple refill kit and bottle of refrigerant: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=89

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 07 525xi and 99 323i
How do I change the micro air filter and fuel filter on my 1999 32i E46?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Najamali View Post
How do I change the micro air filter and fuel filter on my 1999 32i E46?
Here is a video on the filter:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=i7Y2L...%3Di7Y2Ln6EJks

The cabin filter is covered by a plastic top secured by two 1/2 turn spring loaded fasteners. Undo the fasteners, lift the cover, replace the filter, secure the cover and fasteners.

- J.C. Watts Jr.