Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
The Nurburgring in your new 1er

I'm planning on doing ED on a 135i just as soon as that car is available (I'm guessing first week of March). I've never done an ED myself, and I'm really looking forward to the 1er, so I'm pretty excited. I'm guessing that many of the people who feel the same way are on this board.

So I'd like to gauge the interest level for a 'fester GTG in the Fatherland. I'm thinking something not too structured...perhaps a dinner in Munich, then a drive to the Nurburgring for some big fun and perhaps then a drive to Paris to finish things off? It's 550km from Munich to Nurburg, then another 500km to Paris, so I think those are realistic drives, only question would be weather.

Any feedback? Anyone care to join in the fun?
Ads by Google
Old 09-08-2007, 01:33 PM
*insert witty one liner*

Mein Auto: 135i
I'm hopefully doing ED some time in April if all goes well. I'll be picking up my 135i as well
Old 09-08-2007, 02:56 PM
What to do...?

Mein Auto: 128i
I'm considering a ED... not sure about the timing though.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:36 PM
545i 2004

Send a message via AIM to Chnsky545i Send a message via Yahoo to Chnsky545i
Mein Auto: 545i 2004
Thumbs up Euro Del in March or April

I anticipate setting up a 135i for pick up in March or April, wouldn't mind meeting up for part of my trip for a small get to gether. I will keep in touch.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Instead of Paris, drive to Nice, through Switzerland. The roads in south France are some of the best in the world. I think if I was doing a school, I'd do the 'Ring, but if it's just 'self drive', I think south France would be more fun.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Proud S ponsor

Will the Swiss route be passable in March, assuming high-performace summer tires?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 335i coupe, Mazdaspeed
The Ring would be a great time but you are not going to be able to take you 1er on the ring. You have temporary plates when you do ED and they do not allow temp tags on the ring. I did an ED in May for my 335i and you have to have a normal license plate to be allowed on the ring.

Just because you can't take your 1 series on the ring doesn't mean you can't enjoy the ring. I rented a 318ti from www.rent-racecar.de and it was fantastic. The car was a real race car, completely stripped with a full cage, racing brakes and full harness. I did 10 laps and it was fantastic fun and worth every penny. And you can drive it like you stole it without worrying about your new car (not that you have a choice since they won't allow your car on the ring).

I had such a great time I am organizing a trip back with some racing friends just to rent a car again and do some more laps.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:47 PM
*insert witty one liner*

Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needagarage View Post
The Ring would be a great time but you are not going to be able to take you 1er on the ring. You have temporary plates when you do ED and they do not allow temp tags on the ring. I did an ED in May for my 335i and you have to have a normal license plate to be allowed on the ring.

Just because you can't take your 1 series on the ring doesn't mean you can't enjoy the ring. I rented a 318ti from www.rent-racecar.de and it was fantastic. The car was a real race car, completely stripped with a full cage, racing brakes and full harness. I did 10 laps and it was fantastic fun and worth every penny. And you can drive it like you stole it without worrying about your new car (not that you have a choice since they won't allow your car on the ring).

I had such a great time I am organizing a trip back with some racing friends just to rent a car again and do some more laps.
I read that this has since been rectified and that you are allowed (once again) to go on there with a temporary plate.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek View Post
Will the Swiss route be passable in March, assuming high-performace summer tires?
Most likely yes, but there's always the chance it'll snow, especially if it's early March. I drove around the Alps in February, and most I saw was a 1/2 inch of snow on the roads. Of course even that would be nasty on summer tires.

You could always change your schedule around based on weather, but if it's early March, you may want to skip South France.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:14 AM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
You could always change your schedule around based on weather, but if it's early March, you may want to skip South France.
I did it the other way around - went to Southern France, then up to Nurburgring to make sure the car was fully broken in at the Ring.

But in March, the weather is iffy both for passing the Alps and for driving the Ring. Maxing out a new 135i on a wet Ring is something I'd rather not try...

My advice for the OP is to wait until May/June for an ED, if he wants maximum driving pleasure.

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 09-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Proud S ponsor

Just in the pre-planning stages right now. The key variable is when BMW allows the first 1er EDs. If it's very early in the year then I may just do a hit-and-run itinerary. If it's later in the year, I'll definitely want to stay longer.

But I really want to get on the 'ring...no matter what the conditions are. Not so much to go balls-to-the-wall (wouldn't want to do that in a new car I'm unfamiliar with anyway), but really more to say that I have.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:30 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Not sure the 'ring is open in March. Usually Easter is when it opens. I could be wrong however.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 335i coupe, Mazdaspeed
I would really call the Ring or email them to see if that has been changed. I was only there in May and it was not allowed. I can't see them changing back the rules so quickly. Especially since I was not allowed on the ring.

Either way I still recommend taking out a rental. You really don't want to push your new car on the track and the only way to enjoy the ring is if you are pushing it. I passed plenty of people who were just driving on the ring; a complete waste of time and money if you ask me. There are several companies that rent and it is worth it to drive a car setup for that kind of driving, not just a BMW econo-coupe with a big motor.

If you are any type of enthusiast then you will want to push it harder and bang off the rev limiter at least a few times. And if you have any brains you don't want to do that in your brand new car. Unless it is a lease. That is a whole other story.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
I read that this has since been rectified and that you are allowed (once again) to go on there with a temporary plate.
Looking over people's results over the years, tt almost seems to matter who's in charge on a given day. I wouldn't bet a huge sum on my personal chances of getting to do it, only to be disappointed. I considering the rent-racecar option for my trip next spring, since I won't have my own car anyways.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 09-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
I'm planning on doing ED on a 135i just as soon as that car is available (I'm guessing first week of March). .....?
Hey PK,
2 thoughts...
1) I don't believe the ring will be open early March.

2) Start practiing on PS2/3 X-Box/360 now daily. It will make the first lap on the ring an outof body experience.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Proud S ponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang View Post
Hey PK,
2 thoughts...
1) I don't believe the ring will be open early March.

2) Start practiing on PS2/3 X-Box/360 now daily. It will make the first lap on the ring an outof body experience.
1)

2) I read your thread re: practicing on the 'ring. Most informative and entertaining.

So is Easter really opening day? I really, really want to be the first 1er ED (or at least among the people who get it on the first day), and I'd like to drive on a bonafide track while in the Fatherland. And other tracks that will cater to a green pea novice in their own vehicle?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
1)

2) I read your thread re: practicing on the 'ring. Most informative and entertaining.

So is Easter really opening day? I really, really want to be the first 1er ED (or at least among the people who get it on the first day), and I'd like to drive on a bonafide track while in the Fatherland. And other tracks that will cater to a green pea novice in their own vehicle?

1) How about that BMWCCA LA California Raceway Event at Fontucky??!! Nice half oval and infield track to get you some seattime on a real track experience?

2) Hockenheimring, I believe they have open track day on Thursday afternoon.

cheers,

beewang
Old 09-23-2007, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: M3
I have read that some professional drivers spend hours playing Gran Turismo on the PS2 since the tracks are almost identical copies of the real thing! Yes, it doesn't replicate the real thing, but it definetely helps in memorizing the twists and turns.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 04 WRX -> 08 135i
i'd love to do the ED. But the month wait after you come back to the states is a big no no for me.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Audi RS 4
A word of advice - don't refer to Germany as the Fatherland while you are here!!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto: 540iT6, 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Not sure the 'ring is open in March. Usually Easter is when it opens. I could be wrong however.
I believe Jan 2 was the opening day this year.

It is totally unpredictable, and sometimes the first VLN race or two in March or April is cancelled due to snow.

Your friend at the Nordschleife.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335 cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needagarage View Post
I would really call the Ring or email them to see if that has been changed. I was only there in May and it was not allowed. I can't see them changing back the rules so quickly. Especially since I was not allowed on the ring.

Either way I still recommend taking out a rental. You really don't want to push your new car on the track and the only way to enjoy the ring is if you are pushing it. I passed plenty of people who were just driving on the ring; a complete waste of time and money if you ask me. There are several companies that rent and it is worth it to drive a car setup for that kind of driving, not just a BMW econo-coupe with a big motor.

If you are any type of enthusiast then you will want to push it harder and bang off the rev limiter at least a few times. And if you have any brains you don't want to do that in your brand new car. Unless it is a lease. That is a whole other story.
I just returned from my ED and got on the ring 3 seperate times for 4 laps with the red temp plates. No problems.
I went on a Sunday.
This site was pretty accurate on what was true: http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/
Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Proud S ponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2008 View Post
I just returned from my ED and got on the ring 3 seperate times for 4 laps with the red temp plates. No problems.
I went on a Sunday.
This site was pretty accurate on what was true: http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/

Glad to see everything worked out. How much did it cost to get on the 'ring?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 08 E90 335 AW 6MT
Yo, Philippe.. What's up man? I am doing some reading in here and am hoping myself to be able to drive the ring... Did you get a date for your 135 Ed yet?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0
I would avoid Switzerland, unless you want to do some sight seeing. The speed limits are very low and heavily enforced there...

"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."
Arthur C. Clarke