Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-17-2007, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 325 IS
Brake Light Curcuit

Hi I Get The Brake Light Curcuit Message On The Computer. I Changed The Brake Light Switch Under The Dash But The Same Message Comes On The Computer Again? Help 325is 93
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
1. Check brake light bulbs
2. Check corresponding fuses
3. Welcome to the fest!

-philip
Old 09-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 85 VW Quantum
bet you need to double check the bulbs. the fuse would most likely not be the issue as that would keep the OBC from knowing anything about the brake lights since it would stop the flow of the current going to and from the OBC..if that makes sense..long day.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Go Speed Racer, Go!

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328I
Thumbs up

Hey! I had the same problem on my 1997 328i, but it was the brake light switch!
Note: before I changed my tail lights over to the smoked lens I noticed 1 of the contacts on the brake light bulb socket started to burn! So ck them all!!!!! some DIY webs!!!
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp#brake
http://www.bimmerdiy.com/e36
http://www.101projects.com/BMW/Proje...s/DSC05825.JPG
Old 09-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Go Speed Racer, Go!

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328I
Brake Warning Light Problems
Brake warning light problems are fairly common. Sometimes the check control system will erroneously display information that a brake light bulb is out. The warning circuit checks the resistance in the tail light circuit and illuminates the warning light if it senses anything out of spec. We recommend starting off by checking the bulbs. Make sure they are the correct voltage and size. Then check the bulb sockets for any corrosion or buildup. If these things check out but you're still having problems then you may want to try Original BMW bulbs. The resistance of some aftermarket bulbs may not meet the tight tolerances that your check control system requires. The BMW bulbs seem to work better. If that doesn't work check all the wiring connections. Also be aware that some cars (5 series 89-95, 7 series 88-94) use a bulb control module that when it fails can cause the warning lights to come on erroneously and/or turn off the lights randomly.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: '95 325i auto
I seem to randomly get the "brake light circuit" message and once it's on, it stays on until I turn the car off and restart it and then I might not see it again for a week. With the message illuminated, I have gotten out of the car and stood behind it where I could watch the brake lights as a friend pumped the brake pedal and the lights themselves seem to be working just fine. So for my car it's not a safety issue (brake lights not illuminated when they should be) and is instead just an aggravation. Given my cars symptoms, can anyone who is familiar with this problem hazard a guess whether the problem is with my brake light bulbs or is it most likely with the switch under the dashboard or is it impossible to tell? If the switch under the dash is the failed part, would the brake lights still be working correctly as mine are? Thanks to anyone who can sort this for me!
Old 10-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
I have the same exact thing going on. I changed the brake light switch last night and it only solved the problem for a few hours.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:59 AM
vek-mw

Send a message via AIM to bboyvek Send a message via MSN to bboyvek
Mein Auto: 1995 bmw 325i
i had the same problem too i had some one stepping on the brake and lights were ok but then a couple days later i friend of mine told me that one of my bulbs was out but not the brake light but rather one of the white lights that are on when u r backing off. That seemed to had solved the problem no more brake light circuit failure for me i hope...
Criminal Law Attorney Carrboro
Costum Web Applications Web Design
Clasificados Empleos Ventas
Landscaping
Old 10-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Always protect your nuts!

Mein Auto: '94 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I seem to randomly get the "brake light circuit" message and once it's on, it stays on until I turn the car off and restart it and then I might not see it again for a week. With the message illuminated, I have gotten out of the car and stood behind it where I could watch the brake lights as a friend pumped the brake pedal and the lights themselves seem to be working just fine. So for my car it's not a safety issue (brake lights not illuminated when they should be) and is instead just an aggravation. Given my cars symptoms, can anyone who is familiar with this problem hazard a guess whether the problem is with my brake light bulbs or is it most likely with the switch under the dashboard or is it impossible to tell? If the switch under the dash is the failed part, would the brake lights still be working correctly as mine are? Thanks to anyone who can sort this for me!
Mine did the exact same thing and changing the switch fixed it.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusBMW View Post
Mine did the exact same thing and changing the switch fixed it.
What did you pay for your switch? I called my local stealer today and asked what they charged for one and he said $26 plus shipping (it's a 2 hour drive), but on another site I saw where they said it should only cost around $10 or so. Yeah, it would be worth the $26 plus shipping to never see that message again, but I just hate to get ripped off. What is the "normal" price, closer to $8 or $26? Does anyone happen to know where I can order one for a cheaper price than $26?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:36 AM
vek-mw

pelicanparts have one at 22 and another at 15. My brake light circuit lit again, i may buy one too.
Landscaping
Old 10-30-2007, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboyvek View Post
pelicanparts have one at 22 and another at 15. My brake light circuit lit again, i may buy one too.
Thanx!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:47 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post
Hey! I had the same problem on my 1997 328i, but it was the brake light switch!
Note: before I changed my tail lights over to the smoked lens I noticed 1 of the contacts on the brake light bulb socket started to burn! So ck them all!!!!! some DIY webs!!!:thumb up:
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp#brake
http://www.bimmerdiy.com/e36
http://www.101projects.com/BMW/Proje...s/DSC05825.JPG
I had a similar problem on my car. The socket became loose and allowed the bulb contacts to move just enough to lose contact and then regain contact. This created an arcing that started to burn a hole in the metal socket. I discovered this after having my OBC tell me that the brake lights were out several times. Each time I checked the bulbs were fine but I kept getting the code so I took a closer look and saw the hole burned in the metal.

I simply bent the sockets inward so they would grip the bulb properly and haven't had a problem since.

Photobucket
Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 96 328is, 04 Audi Allroad
- Remove all bulbs & clean contacts in the housing, pencil eraser for the contacts, scotchbrite for the socket.
- Bend contacts in housing slightly to ensure good contact with the bulb
- Replace all bulbs with silver base Sylvania bulbs (brass base bulbs are notorious for causing this problem going way back to the early 1980s when BMW started with the bulb check circuit)
- Put a light coating of dilectric grease on the bulb to prevent oxidation
Old 10-30-2007, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: ---
Best advice I have seen yet.

I changed the switch under the dash, but that didn't help me. I noticed one of the rear bulbs had arched and burnt a little hole through the contact. Put a little solder there to get a good contact (I hope). I rebent the bulb contacts to make sure there is pressure on it. I still get the friggen message after driving 5-10 minutes (not sure which bulb is causing it though, as they both seem to work). My next step is to do the dilectric grease on both sides - I think that is an important part that most people miss. I think the best fix would be to disable that sensor if I can figure that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJH View Post
- Remove all bulbs & clean contacts in the housing, pencil eraser for the contacts, scotchbrite for the socket.
- Bend contacts in housing slightly to ensure good contact with the bulb
- Replace all bulbs with silver base Sylvania bulbs (brass base bulbs are notorious for causing this problem going way back to the early 1980s when BMW started with the bulb check circuit)
- Put a light coating of dilectric grease on the bulb to prevent oxidation
Old 11-01-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz58 View Post
Best advice I have seen yet.

I changed the switch under the dash, but that didn't help me. I noticed one of the rear bulbs had arched and burnt a little hole through the contact. Put a little solder there to get a good contact (I hope). I rebent the bulb contacts to make sure there is pressure on it. I still get the friggen message after driving 5-10 minutes (not sure which bulb is causing it though, as they both seem to work). My next step is to do the dilectric grease on both sides - I think that is an important part that most people miss. I think the best fix would be to disable that sensor if I can figure that out!
I did the Sylvania silver tip lightbulb replacement and rebending the contact points yesterday and as I drove out of the parking lot of the store where I bought them, the brake circuit light came on again.

So I went and got the switch and replaced that this morning and at least SO far, the light hasn't been back on.

Did you remember to replace the bulb and bend the contacts for the brake light above the trunk lid as well as the 2 down low?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:12 PM
<<<Buddy

Mein Auto: 97' 328I
FYI: if the switch isn't tight in the bracket it will trigger the dreaded brake light curcuit warning. I had to take my bracket out and straighten it cause it was bent, not very fun putting it back in.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:59 PM
still pushin' big wheels

Mein Auto: '95 325i
Wow - I've had a random brake light problem pretty much since I've had my car and I just periodically take out the brake light and put it back in - this usually made it work again for a while.

But you guys are awesome with your advice to bend the contacts.

Seriously, how did I never think of that?!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:00 PM
vek-mw

is it normal to get the *check* light on the dash board every time i get the brake circuit failure??
Landscaping
Old 11-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboyvek View Post
is it normal to get the *check* light on the dash board every time i get the brake circuit failure??
Yes. Annoying, isn't it?
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 PM
vek-mw

very very annoying!!