Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-22-2007, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i sedan
Voice command and bluetooth phonebook

Hi everyone, first post here

I just got my 2007 bmw 328i, and i'm loving it.

I got Sport and Premium, but no Nav. I have my bluetooth phone paired with the car, and it's great to take calls over the hands free.

Thing is, I can't seem to initiate calls over the voice command button on the steering wheel. My dealer says the voice command won't read into the bluetooth phone book, (although the phone interface on the radio head unit does this well).

My buddy who has a 2005 325i with premium and nav can do this, and seems to have way more available voice commands such as "FM Radio."

Question is: is this just because I didn't get Nav? what the heck does this have to do with Navigation?
Ads by Google
Old 09-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon133 View Post

I got Sport and Premium, but no Nav. I have my bluetooth phone paired with the car, and it's great to take calls over the hands free.

Thing is, I can't seem to initiate calls over the voice command button on the steering wheel. My dealer says the voice command won't read into the bluetooth phone book, (although the phone interface on the radio head unit does this well).

My buddy who has a 2005 325i with premium and nav can do this, and seems to have way more available voice commands such as "FM Radio."

Question is: is this just because I didn't get Nav? what the heck does this have to do with Navigation?
Welcome to Bimmerfest.
Well, there seem to be some phones from which the voice command system does read the phonebook. Mine is not one of them, and so I have manually "told" the system which numbers I wish to store. You can get the appropriate commands by saying "help" after pressing the appropriate button on the steering wheel.
I believe you have to have iDrive in order to use voice commands with other systems.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328XI, '05 Lexus RX3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon133 View Post

I just went through the same thing with my '07 328. Premium and Cold Weather package - no Nav. You need the nav to make the Bluetooth work the normal way. However, you can train it to recognize names.

Here is what I figured out:
1. Hit the Voice button and say "save name" the voice asks for the name, you say "Joe", then the voice says repeat (or something like that).
2. then the voice says "say number" so you go 888-555-1212 and say "save".

The next time to want to call "Joe" you say, "dial name" and the voice says "say name". You reply Joe, the voice says "do you want to call "Joe" and your recorded voice saying "Joe" comes on and you say "yes".

You can also use it to dial by saying "dial number". the voice says "say the number" and you say "900-55501212". It dials. A bit tedious to load your directory this way but it does work. The only issue is, for instance, when I call my daughter, she has her home phone and cell phone. I need to assign a name to her house versus her cell. I have found out that you can't say "Call Allison home" or "Call Allison Cell" because the computer thinks that they are the same. You need to give each person's name a unique name.

Let us know how this works.

Gary

Last edited by Grumpa72; 09-22-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: add relevant material
Old 09-22-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpa72 View Post
..... The only issue is, for instance, when I call my daughter, she has her home phone and cell phone. I need to assign a name to her house versus her cell. I have found out that you can't say "Call Allison home" or "Call Allison Cell" because the computer thinks that they are the same. You need to give each person's name a unique name.

Let us know how this works.

Gary
I haven't had this problem I have stored "Joe home", "Joe office", "Joe cell", etc. and it is able to distinguish them all.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:22 AM

Can't say why it doesn't like Allison Home versus Allison Cell but it doesn't. We just sat down and created unique names for each. For instance, calling my daughter, I use the Allison Cell, calling her home I named it her last name. Straight forward and works every time.

Gary
Old 09-23-2007, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i sedan
Cool, thanks for the confirmation guys
Old 09-23-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpa72 View Post
Can't say why it doesn't like Allison Home versus Allison Cell but it doesn't. We just sat down and created unique names for each. For instance, calling my daughter, I use the Allison Cell, calling her home I named it her last name. Straight forward and works every time.

Gary
This is just a guess, but "Allison" having three sylables may cause you to run out of time before it hears the "home" or "cell" part if you say it slowly. I think I read somewhere that the name can't exceed two seconds.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredric View Post
This is just a guess, but "Allison" having three sylables may cause you to run out of time before it hears the "home" or "cell" part if you say it slowly. I think I read somewhere that the name can't exceed two seconds.
That could be the case, however, we resolved this issue by being only slightly creative in what we call each person. No big deal, and it works. I did show the feature to my son-in-law yesterday and he thought it was quite cool. I can see, however, that having the Nav feature and just saying the name without "teaching" it to the system would be seamless.

Gary